Introduce Yourself!

Welcome, Tom! Bonesplint is one of my favorites, can’t get Spirit bomb though lol…

3 Likes

Hey all!
I’m randomly jumping back into yo’s after something like 15’ish years.
I was a regular on theyo.com forums…freaking loved that place!
I never did get very good at throwing…something that caused me quite a lot of frustration. Never got past stuff like budha’s revenge and kamikaze.
I did win the novice division at a big yomega contest in Las Vegas in 2003 though! That was SUPER sweet…got a lot of awesome loot and got to meet SO many amazing people! Doc Pop, Steve Brown, Johnnie Delvalle, Takeshi Matsuura (black), Justin Webber…and lots of other awesome guys! The yo-yo community is full of great people!

It was my frustration with my lack of progress that got me in the end. I was particularly upset that people were jumping into yo’s and within just a month or 2 pulling off tricks that I could only dream of doing. Yet I was spending at least a couple hours a day yo’ing and had been doing so for a few years. It was very frustrating.

I still dream of being able to break through that wall I’d hit way back then…though I’ve pretty much lost all the skills I once had 15+ years ago and am starting back with all the basics. Having a ton of fun doing so and I’m nowhere near as hard on myself as I was back then. I’m really hoping to have fun during the process instead of being so focused on where I want to be like I use to be. I was so focused on trying to learn tough tricks, that I started to forget about just relaxing and enjoying what I was doing in the moment.

I loved collecting throws too. I had some pretty cool yo’s back then.
And already the collecting bug has hit me pretty hard just days into getting back in! lol…yo’s have come so far since I last threw! OMG!! And there’s SO many beautiful looking yo’s!
I’m really going to try to collect some nice looking green yo-yo’s :D.

I already have a Hitman Professional, HSpin Good & Evil 3 (it does wobble…but omfg it’s one of the coolest looking yo’s I’ve ever seen! I absolutely love how one half is a normal green, and the other half is a dark green!) and a Duncan Pro Z I just picked up at walmart. I’m REALLY impressed with that little thing for it only being $10! I’m having a ton of fun with it in responsive mode…added an old friction sticker I had to half of it and it’s jusst super fun!

I’m also waiting impatiantly for the mailman to deliver me…
A Duncan Strix
A Duncan Baracuda
A Duncan Freehand NextGen
All in green! With free shipping, sales and a discount they’re offering…all 3 of these throws only costed me slightly under $50!

I also just purchased a throw I’ve been completely obsessed with this past week…a One Drop Deep State…however I didn’t like any of the colors that are currently being sold at any of the online shops. I saw an image of one that was a dark green though and fell in complete love!
Joined a facebook b/t/s group and within an hour I found someone selling one for a great price I couldn’t pass up…in mint condition and complete with the original box!
Super stoked!

deep%20state
Holy gawd I love this thing! Just about one of the greatest yo-yo’s I’ve ever seen!

So yeah…there’s my 26 volume encyclopedia length intro! haha >.<’
Really happy to be jumping back into this hobby. It was such a big part of my life when I was younger!

18 Likes

Nice! You have any tips for getting out of that last part? I can do the whole trick but can’t seem to get out of that last wristmountish part.

1 Like

Open up the loop on your (I’m guessing that you are right handed) left hand, and roll the yo-yo over your right hand index and allow it to pass through the left hand loop without the yo-yo hitting any more strings, let go of everything on your right hand and you should be in a trapeze.

1 Like

Hello my name is kai and i am very new to yoyoing(i got my first one two days ago)and i came across this website after just browsing the internet for general yoyo things.i currently only on 1 yoyo(the magicyoyo k1 plus/pro?-the responsive version-) and dont really have a favorite trick(i cant really do many) though i do like the 1A style of play in general.

i am hoping people can give me general tips on yoyoing as well as tips on what yoyos / accesories to buy.

12 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

Best thing to buy is string. It is cheap, easy to change and makes a difference when it get worn out.

Stop & Go was one of my favorite beginner tricks to learn. Keep practicing and don’t get discouraged when you can’t land a trick, it comes with time.

4 Likes

Hi. My name is Robert. I did early retirement a year ago and am experimenting with affordable hobbies. I had various Duncan’s growing up but never did much with them. After doing some reading and watching a few videos I got a YYF One and decided that once I learn 10 tricks I will treat myself to a One Drop. Seriously, you have to love a hobby that for the price of one night in a decent hotel you can buy everything you need, as good as you need.

Still working on my first trick, Rock the Baby. I get to the end of the trick and loose momentum. I guess I need to work on my throw and increase my spin. Oh, bought a Replay for my best friend who also retired. Hope to get him interested.

13 Likes

Hey guys, my name is Nafeez and I like to play with yoyo’s like as a hobby. I enjoy these kinds of these things and I got this idea from my good friend that is great a yoyo-ing. I hope u guys will all like me and just so u know I am 12 lol.

12 Likes

I agree with you on having a hobby that’s inexpensive. I used to do the nitro RC trucks and you can easily spend thousands.

Nice that you got your friend one. I occasionally give away yoyos to people, fun to pick up.

2 Likes

thnx

1 Like

u give away yoyos? can i have one lol

1 Like

Hi. My name is Darren and I’ve been throwing on and off for many years now. Loved it as a little kid back when ball bearing yoyos were just getting popular and have stuck with the hobby watching it change over the years. Started with a Spintastics Torch and learned most of my basics on that. Now I enjoy tossing around on the more modern yoyos and am still amazed at how far yoyos have come. Favorite trick is boing-y-boing. Pleased to meet you all.

7 Likes

my name iz jeff

7 Likes

OMG my name is Jeff too

8 Likes

Heyy I’m Jonathan, I sometimes go by Jon but it doesn’t really matter.

I started throwing around the start of my 8th grade year, in fall 2017. I’ve only been to one contest, the Georgia State contest of 2017, and it hasn’t been held again after that. I plan on going to US nationals this year, but I might not.

I first got into yoyoing when I saw a Duncan yoyo at a Walmart. I grabbed a butterfly because it was the only blue yoyo there. I tried learning tricks but didn’t get too far on it. Soon I got knots and ended up buying another one. Eventually I got a “real” yoyo, a yotricks Sage. (basically a responsive One Star) Yotricks was where I learned the majority of my tricks when starting out. My first metal was a Yotricks Canon, which I convinced my mom to get for me as a reward for studying for the 8th grade PSAT.
Even though I kept getting more yoyos, I ended up dinging and scratching a lot of them to the edge of usability. (concrete is not my friend)
I applied for and managed to get into a Magnet program (basically a nerd program (because I scored well enough on the PSAT lol)) where I started a yoyo club.

10 Likes

I yoyoed as a kid in the 80s, and had a yellow wooden Smothers Brothers/Kodak yoyo I loved. I was never very good. Fast forward to last summer when my six-year-old was fascinated with someone playing, so I got her a Yomega Brain, and myself a Raider. Imagine my surprise to find that yoyos now have ball bearings. And some didn’t come back up. She lost interest, but mine piqued, and now I enjoy yoyoing every day. I’m still not very good. Largely I yoyo on my walk in to campus, and enjoy unresponsive and responsive. For me it’s a relaxing ritual, not a skill I’m devoted to developing.

I teach Physics at Xavier University, and there are lots of easily accessible physics topics relevant to yoyos. They make a great demo. My yoyoing has become a minor joke in the department, and a few students have taken up the hobby, at least until they move on to something else.

In my time here at the forum I’ve been blown away by the welcome and generosity of the members, particularly @codinghorror and @bobafret. Thank you.

10 Likes

It’s literally the job of college physics professors to be quirky, man! I’ve seen the documentary “Real Genius” with Val Kilmer which proves this!

6 Likes

That public perception sure buys us some latitude. I always say that if your banker had two different shoes you’d walk out the door, but if a physicist does you assume they’re brilliant…

4 Likes

Hello all,
My names Mark i’m 54 and from the UK. Not very good but enjoying learning. Fave trick is stop ‘n’ go. Trying to learn loops but stuggling.

13 Likes