Introduce Yourself!

yea lol. I stopped myself where I am right now. Once my skills get better i will definitely be getting more yoyos. I instantly am able to understand how people can get sucked into the collecting aspect.

Hi there. This is my first time posting in an online yoyo community, which seems to be kinda rare from the little research Iā€™ve done, so sorry for breaking any unwritten rules or anything like that

Anyway, my history with yoyoing started when I was a kid in 2004 and got a Duncan with a trick video cd-rom packaged along with it. I was immediately enamored with how modern yoyos worked and how you can perform with them compared to their old days of strictly basic tricks. In 2005 I dived head first into competing when my mom, sister, and I drove up to Chico for the US national contest. Surprisingly, I took home the title for my age division, which of course gave me a great amount encouragement to continue with this sport/hobby. Since then I have competed and got rankings in other contests, including 2nd in my age division at the 2005 Redondo Beach contest, 2nd in my age division in the 2006 Southern California YoYo Championship, 1st in my age division at the 2006 Redondo Beach contest, and 2nd in my age division at the 2006 World YoYo contest. Iā€™ve also done some improve freestyles just for fun in some southern California contests in 2006 and 2007.

By 2008 I somehow lost interest with yoyos and moved on to another hobby. I never really connected with any yoyo community other than the occasional trip to Redondo Beach to see their sparse yoyo club, which was strangely unwelcoming other than the organizer of it (thanks, Tom). It was probably that way considering how young I was at the time, nobody wanted to ā€œbabysitā€ me so to speak. I was also not involved in any online communities which made it much harder to keep up to date on any new information coming out. There wasnā€™t a lot to motivate me to keep going other than myself, and as young teen I wasnā€™t mature enough to juggle several interests at once.

Now that Iā€™m in my mid-20s, Iā€™ve been very interested in getting back into yoyoing. The most surprising thing to me is how different everything is. Almost every company and player I knew has gone away or changed themselves drastically. YoYo Factory is now the go-to #1 brand? I remember when all they had out was the original Fast series! The Worlds is now a touring competition? That blows my mind. I also totally remember YoYoJam being my life at one point and almost getting sponsored by them after meeting AndrĆ© Boulay a few times. Iā€™m slowly adapting to this different atmosphere with new brands and players popping up everywhere. Currently, I have a small interest in competing again, preferably in the 4a and 5a categories which I believe I most excel, although I have yet to find anything Iā€™m interested in entering. Hope to see some good material from this forum :slight_smile:

Funny have so many start with a Duncan. You will find good material to learn with here and WELCOME!

1 Like

Welcome back to the yoyo world. Always good to see people rekindle their interest. Hope we can live up to your expectations. Forums are only as good as their contributors.

1 Like

Hello everyone! I recently started yoyoing after being on vacation and finding and abandoned fixed axle in the woods behind the rental cabin. Of course it was basically useless but it did peak my interest enough to cause me to get on ebay and order a replay pro. Figured out real quick yoyos had changed quite a bit from when i was a child and had learned how to walk the dog and rock the cradle. Literally all i knew. Did a little research and ordered a responsive replay. No weā€™re talking. After confirming i could walk the dog and rock the cradle i went to youtube to watch and learn. I have since moved on to unresponsive and off string. This is my cold weather hobby. Im a competition shooter during the warmer months. Just like my other hobby i have gone all in on yoyos. I now own over 100 unresponsive yoyos and dont see an end to collecting more anytime soon. I look forward to talking and learning from all of the guys and gals that have far more experience and knowledge. Hopefully i can pass my learning along to someone else in the future. Here we go!

Hi, I just joined, and I was wondering how make my own yoyo tricks?

I was the same way, once i got buying some yoyoā€™s i just kinda kept going haha. I feel bad sometimes though, that it might be best to just focus with a few of them instead of feeling now obligated to make my rounds through all of them :smiley:

Can an old dog learn a new trick? Iā€™m a 59 year old guy from Indiana USA who has always wanted to learn but never took the time to do so. Life is starting to slow down some now and I want to learn something new. So hopefully I can find some good advice here and start a path to learning how to yo.
Iā€™m interested in making some custom yo yoā€™s as I do some woodturning as a hobby as well so Iā€™m interested in learning about what kind of bearings and strings and materials to use. I donā€™t have a favorite yo yo yet. So Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll have lots of questions.

Yes an old dog can learn. Just look around here and you will find many of us ā€œold dogsā€. Their is a lot of good videos and conversation on this site so enjoy and WELCOME!

another old guy here, 55. i started right here almost a year ago. i have collected 25 ish very nice yoyos, i have learned a few dozen great tricks right here in the learning center. i have had excellent conversations with others on this forum. you have chosen wisely my friend. welcome and enjoy all there is of this great hobby. iā€™m yospeedracer on instagram if you want to check out some funny videos of my learning.

Hey!! Out here in Reno there are only 3 throwers I am aware of. We need to start a club or something

Hi, my name is david, Iā€™m currently in 8th grade, and Iā€™ve been yo yoing since 2016, but have never truly gotten into the depths of unresponsive yo yoing until mid-2017. I first learned how to throw/use a unresponsive yoyo, like the skyva, off of yotricks, but now iā€™m currently training for the PNWR comp.

Hey my name is lekung, been Yoyoing for a couple of months now. Started with a Duncan throw monkey but then found the dark magic. Donā€™t think i will ever go back! fav trick is chain reaction its kinda simple but i like it.

Hey everyone my name is Will I am a relatively new yo-yo player I have been at it for about 6 months I love CLYW and all they have to offer I also love great anod yo-yos so message me if you are willing to trade some sick anos.

So, Iā€™m clearly not new here, but I havenā€™t really yoyoā€™d in like 5 or 6 years. For some reason though, Iā€™m starting to get interested in coming back. Iā€™m pretty out of the loop (pun kinda intended?) with whatā€™s happened since I havenā€™t been paying attention to the yoyo community. Iā€™ll probs drop a trick video in a few weeks as I start to start to get back in the groove. :slight_smile:

Bought a Duncan Butterfly at Christmas. Played a little and got the bug. I now own about 20 throws. :wink: My breakaway is still mostly wonky but I can do a little 4A too now. Having fun trying different tricks and throws. Seems like a great community.

Take care,

Brent

this is an awesome group. welcome

Hey everyone my name is Quentin or Q, just got here. I am still pretty new to the yo-yoing world and not great at tricks either! Iā€™m 20 as of now and just starting my yoyo collection. I currently have an Illuminum Dream by yoyofactory and I just got my Iceberg a couple days ago. Iā€™ve also been starting to get into different styles so I have 2 oracles, a yoyofactory flight offstring yoyo, and a counterweight. Excited to be a part of the community!

Iā€™m looking for some facebook pages I can join, but just searching yoyo doesnā€™t really bring any up.

Looking for places to figure out some of the newb things. Also where perhaps someone is close to link up with.

FACEBOOK BST & TALK
YOYO THROWERS REDDIT