Introduce Yourself!

Hey, folks. A little about me. I guess I’d be a bit of an old fart if my assumptions about the current crowd are even close to accurate. I just recently picked a yoyo up again (two weeks ago) and it seems a lot different from when I had one last. I was 15 and it was a Bumblebee. I thought that yoyo was the best thing and I thought I was at least above average with it. A lot has changed in the last 18 years. I’m relearning everything. I can’t even get the thing to sleep straight every time, yet. But it did spark my interest again and I’ve spent the last two weeks watching trick videos and tutorials and looking at yoyos. There’s a lot more info now that the internet is in my hand. No more trying to decipher a trick book, lol. I’ve also learned that the tricks I thought were cool, more advanced tricks are just basics and that not only am I not awesome, I never was, lol. It’s very humbling.

The reason I’m here is because I need a cheaper hobby to occupy my time. I guess I’m a bit of and odd duck in my crowd. Most of my friends and coworkers are into normal things like sports and fantasy leagues. I play paintball. I’m obsessed with it. I sold my television and Xbox a while back when funds were tight. The obsession with paintball is so severe that every time I’ve got money saved for a new television, I buy paintball stuff. But that hobby gets really expensive really fast. And I also started a new job that has me working every weekend and so when the fields are open, I’m not available. They gave us Target gift cards at work for Christmas and when I went to spend mine, I found a Duncan Butterfly XT. In a “why not” nostalgic moment, I bought it. I can’t hit the old tricks every time but I could hit them enough that I started playing more. That’s when the google searching came. Now I’m here. The XT is fun but I feel like I wanna go further than it can. For $5, I don’t hate it. But I want slightly nicer. I’m looking at a Sage and whatever the one with the adjusters on the sides is. I’m working on a breakaway throw and The Man On The Flying Trapeze so that I can start playing in limited space.

I’m looking forward to getting back into this again. Sorry for the WOT.

Old guys are welcome here! I know, I’m one :wink: Want a nicer throw that’s affordable? Check out the Recess First Base. It’s a plastic throw and comes with two bearings. One is narrow for tug response play and the other is wide for modern unresponsive play. $20 at YoYoExpert. Great throw for the money. Grab some extra strings and have a blast!

We’re not happy until you’re not happy! *<B{Q>

Got a suggestion right out of the gate. I’m definitely gonna look that up. The reason I’m looking at the ones I am is because (if you didn’t already guess) the Sage is the one in a bunch of the videos I’ve been watching and the other one has a neat gimmick. I likes me a cool gimmick. I think that’s why that iCEBERG thing is so pretty to me. Just ‘spensive.

I do like the looks of the aluminum yoyos. I just hate the idea of smacking it on the ground or launching it off a broken string. Got any suggestion for noob’s first metal yoyo? Ya know, for “Ooh, shiny” sakes.

Don’t be sorry. Odd Ducks and Old Farts are welcome here.

I was just apologizing for the wall of text, lol. Now I gotta go sticky searching and see if there’s a sticky for intermediate yo-yos. I should probably go through the forum rules again, just to make sure I’m not committing any faux pas.

Name: John Benedict Lu
Nickname: JB
Birthday: January 21, 1989
Nationality: Filipino
Started playing yoyo: 2007
Skill Level: 3
Current Yoyo: Wedge, Loop720, Empty
Favorite Yoyo: Wedge
Favorite Player: Shu Takada
Playing Style: 1A,2A
Factors that drove me deeper in yoyoing: being able to learn a new skill

Hi my name is Adrian. I’m sponsored by Mythril yoyos. I like playing Pokémon and making videos. My favorite yo-yo is the zeppelin or the monolith. And my favorite trick is suicide. And I’ve been buying from yoyoexpert for a while. I used to have an account but I totally forgot my username

Ummm, how’s about this one…

Yeah that’s my old one.

Hey guys! Another Old Fart here :slight_smile:️. I used to throw in school back in the 90s and though I never did anything other than the basics (Walk The Dog, Around The World) I loved how it felt to throw and catch a yo-yo.

I bought a Duncan Imperial on a lark at a friend’s game store when visiting my alma mater and rediscovered that love. Soon bought a Shutter but got frustrated with binding, so I put the hobby down for another year until I discovered OneDrop through their Trillium fidget spinner. Ended up snagging a Deep State and then the Sage and Recess First Base. Been throwing for a few months now thanks to YYE and YoTricks’s great tutorial series.

I joined the YYE forums because this and the r/throwers subreddit seem to be the two most active yoyo communities.

I’m still working on the basics. For front style, I can do up to Split the Atom and I’m debating working on pinwheel/braintwister combos next. For side style, I can land the trapeze (though still too inconsistently for my tastes) and double-on/triple-on but that’s about it (can’t even bind off the trapeze yet).

I’m primarily interested in 1A and 5A (though 4A looks really cool, too).

Favorite throws are the Sage (it just clicked for me for some reason in a way the First Base didn’t), my YYF Superstar Pivot from the YoYoExpert Mystery Box #3, and whatever happens to be in my hand cuz best yo is the one you throw :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

I’m in the greater NYC area.

The greater NYC area is larger than some states. WELCOME!

Hello! My name is Justin and I am a just starting out. I recently got a Sage (actually on order) and also have a duncan butterfly. My daughter (6) got some cheap duncan from school and have been trying to figure it out. Because of that I got interested and ordered something better for myself so I can give her the butterfly. I hope to learn some basic tricks and to be able to teach my daughter to at least throw the yoyo and get it to come back up.

Many of us started with a Butterfly and decades and many yoyo’s later we still use one on occasion.
Welcome and have fun throwing with your daughter.

I am Cliff Adams, 67-year-old (sort of) retired musician, graphic designer, writer, and geezer. I came to Sacramento from the Bay Area to attend college. Married twice, three adult kids, five grandkids.

I remember the Duncan sales pros coming to elementary school, and eventually buying a Duncan Mardi Gras which I loved until it disappeared when my family moved when I was in the military. I miss it. I returned to yoyo when McDonalds had the Yomegas available. I have two sets, including the upgrade PowerBrain. One set I used, another is still in the original package and the shrinkwrap has not been opened. When that was happening, a friend gave me a retro Duncan Tournament as a present.

I returned to yoyo this year as I was preparing for my church’s Sunday school annual play. Horton Hears a Who has a heroic Who child who plays with a yoyo.

Until I looked at yoyo retail sites online, I never heard of unresponsive. I was a mediocre looper before, never attempting string tricks, but I have more dollars than sense, so I am building a small yoyo collection, including those I have yet to gain the skill needed to do much.

I work now on a consistent bind. Wonderful string tricks to follow.

Wow another grown up. I am also a retired musician and I had a Mardi Gras in my little Duncan collection though, like many others, I favored the Butterfly. Anyway Welcome and have fun.

1 Like

New member here! I’m 29 and I got started back during the 90s craze because I wanted to stretch myself and learn a new skill. Many of my classmates at school had the X-Brain, and my curiosity took over. I put my yoyos aside for a few years in the 2000s, though, and picked up the hobby again in college after I saw how much the game had changed! I’ve developed a minor obsession with unresponsive play ever since. I’ve not been entirely successful at avoiding becoming a “completion-ist” collector, but as a scientist I like to sample and compare too. Unfortunately none of my friends throw and I don’t really know anyone else in Ohio that throws, so I thought I’d come here and join a larger community! So, hello everyone and I hope you’re all well!

welcome. you have found the right place. i started a year ago right here. i found so many great people right here. enjoy

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Hey everyone. I am here because 2018 is going to be my year of the yo-yo. I can remember my first yo-yo I have ever had, it was a crappy plastic thing that looked like a baseball that I got from a arcade when I was 6 years old. Now I am 25 and all I have had many yo-yos but all i really knew how to do was throw it. So after christmas I made the commitment (got the sage starter pack) and decided this year will be my year to learn. I’m focusing mostly on 1a and having hella fun with it. I already moved past my sage and moved on to some nicer plastics. I currently have a speedaholic, yeti 2.0, sage, yyf whip, and i treated myself to a shutter. I’m super excited to learn more and having fun every day with it.
Also the yo-yo community as a whole is one of the most welcoming, helpful, and encouraging group of people i have ever encountered online. I know i’m not that great yet but thanks to all you guys I at least have the tools to become great.

Welcome! I joined very recently too. It’s definitely one of the best online communities I’ve seen so far! One thing I’ve noticed about yo-yos is that it’s really hard to get into the hobby and stick to having only one or two. The trick is sometimes trying to reign in and limit the collection, haha! Enjoy!

1 Like