Introduce Yourself!

Hey guys,

Hazzard here (also known as Jared), wanted to say hi. I am trying to find the most active yo yo forums on the net to ask questions get ideas on good yo-yos to get, etc…

So far im practicing front mounts, front flips, breakaways into trapeze, etc

I have a Metal Drifter, a Sage, and an Oracle

this is probably the most active yoyo forum youll ever find…

welcome

Thanks Alecto, I just posted a new thread in the general discussion with some questions of mine if you can help me out :slight_smile:

What are some slang you guys use? Is there a slang for the Yo-Yo as well? A Throw?

throw = yoyo
tech = technical tricks
flow = how well tricks form together
bst = buy/sell/trade
slack = tricks involving long string and whips

theres more but that would take quite a bit to remember

OG just means its the original run of a yoyo
CLYW= Caribou Lodge Yoyo Works
OD= One Drop yoyo’s
YYF= Yoyofactory
YYJ=Yoyojam
YYE= Yoyoexpert

Thank you for pointing that out the J and H keys are right next to each other so I screwd that up.

But what if there was a company called yoyoham that would be great

Hi there, Eric here.

I’m coming to yo-yo late (I’m 41) but also not for the first time. Always had some kind of yo-yo or another when I was a kid, but never did much with them except for walk the dog, around the world, that kind of thing.

Fast forward to 2005 or so, when my young daughter (9 at the time) got interested in skill toys after hanging out around SCA/Ren Fair jugglers. We had a lot of fun with poi, crystal sticks, juggling, even a diabolo. And yes, yo-yos. But she got distracted and so did I, and my Freehand 1 went in the closet after I hadn’t done much more than learn a few loops and Trapeze.

Now my middle kid (11) is into it. I’m not sure who started it, but yo-yo is a big deal in the 5th grade crowd at his school. I dug up our old yo-yos, and we went to Air Traffic, a local skill-toy shop in MN, and got him a Henry’s Lizard. We’ve been having a great time and now our collection is the Lizard, my old Freehand, various older fixed axle yo-yos, a Duncan Ballistic, a YYF Velocity, two YYF Oracles and a pair of MagicYoYo N12s.

I’m mostly interested in 1A, I think, but I’m working on some 2A tricks as well. About the only thing I’m pretty consistent on right now is the Brain Scrambler and front bind. I’m decent at Barrel Rolls and Trapeze, and working actively on Plastic Whip, Double-or-Nothing, side bind, etc.

I’m looking forward to learning with and from all of you!

Eric

its nice to see that some more older people are joining… welcome!

1 Like

The kids are our sports future. And it is even better when an adult signs on who is playing with their kids. Welcome Eric!

1 Like

Welcome, Eric!

1 Like

My name is William, and I’m from the big island of Hawai’i.
I remember playing with yoyos in elementary (grammar) school, but I think I stopped after becoming frustrated with not being able to get the yoyo to sleep.
About 2 years ago I was at work cleaning out an old storeroom and came across a brandless, very low-quality yoyo. Within a couple days I could do a bunch of the basic tricks, and by the end of the week I had ordered a duncan flipside.
I threw that thing night and day until the response pads came out (I think I got some lube in there and it screwed up the adhesive), and so after a couple months of use I stopped throwing entirely.

Then, about 6 months ago, I found my flipside while cleaning out my truck. I had recently bought some silicone to fill a hole in a water bucket of mine, and, having read about making your own response pads, decided to give it a go. The silicone was terrible but it worked, and after a couple months of solid play I decided that this was something I enjoyed and bought a black Shutter.
I received the shutter right around the start of 2015 and am very very happy with it.
I now own 7 yoyos and have started my addiction in earnest.

I have no friends that throw so throwing felt strange initially because I felt that I was spending significant time with a ‘children’s toy’. But, after spending some time looking around on places like this forum I have come to realize that, while marketed heavily to young people, yoyos have ALWAYS been enjoyed by people of all ages, and that there is no shame in having fun with them.

Looking forward to learning and sharing with the community!

welcome… your story is like many others… they started young and the parasite attached then…

enjoy the new hobby and remember to have fun.

1 Like

narmada808, Welcome adult who plays with a child’s toy. And considering what some of these yoyo’s cost, they are no longer child’s play.

Hello! My name is Mark. I’m a college student, a pretty stressed out one too, that just happened to be looking for a hobby to vent my frustrations. There happened to be a yoyo store near my school that had all of these brands I haven’t heard of. They carry yoyojams, yoyofactories, C3s and even Duncans which were pretty much unheard of since all of my previous experience with a yoyo was through the super yoyo anime. I saved up for a shiny new Counterattack, learned how to bind and couldn’t put the yoyo down. I was hooked. I plan to spend my summer learning the more advanced tricks since I’m only now learning advanced part 2. I hope to learn a lot in these forums, the community looks real active. Cheers!

^Welcome to the forums, Mark. You’ll learn a lot here. I know I did.

1 Like

Welcome to the yoyoexpert forums. There are alot of helpful people here, and you’ll find all the info you need on yoyoing here. Alot of knowledgeable people that I have found helpful. I to am new to yo-yoing, coming up on 1 month. Look forward to learning with you man.

Welcome aboard! I find that throwing a yo-yo is a pretty good way to focus and put other concerns out of my mind for a while.

This is definitely the first time I’ve seen Duncan referred to as obscure. :slight_smile:

Hello there,

While I haven’t had any type of yoyo in my hand for a very long time I have a DV888 in the mailbox right now waiting for me to get home. I remember really enjoying yoyos when I was younger and trying to pull off cool tricks…can’t wait to get back into it. What really got me back into it was the Massdrop Summit. I bought into it and realized I should get a decent starter and there I was doing research on decent mod-able starters. I should say it didn’t end there as I already contributed to the YYF Ti Dream as well, lol. This will not end well the way things are going. Looking forward to being on here!

A little bit more about myself, I make spin tops on a manual lathe. My Facebook group is Symeon MetalCrafts(https://www.facebook.com/groups/662337913885319/). Here are a few examples of my work. Maybe I will try a yoyo when I figure out how they function a little bit better.

Thanks,
Charles