Introduce Yourself! 2024

Dude! Nice work!

Welcome to the forums

Enjoy the throw my friends
kgb

2 Likes

HAHA! I don’t know about that. But, thanks! :smile:
I do enjoy playing music and trying out all kinds of different throws!

And yea! @thurbermingus Always down to talk about music/throws/gear and listen to new stuff too! :+1:

2 Likes

Hi all! Couldn’t quite find an introduction thread for new forum members so I hope you don’t mind that I post here.

I left the hobby at age 11 in 1999 to pursue both traditional and actions sports. I loved my Proyo II and my Turbo Bumblebee and can recall vividly the experience of learning fundamental responsive yo-yo tricks from a picture book (Before the dawn of YouTube….haha).

Now at 35 years old, I’m glad to be back and I’m absolutely impressed with the advancement in yo-yo technology. It’s been fun learning unresponsive play.

Just wanted to say thank you to this community! I’ve learned a lot lurking these forums over the past couple months.

Kicking off 2024 with some :fire: recommended by y’all.

Bathysphere

:call_me_hand:

25 Likes

Hi all!

My name is Geoff C and I’m new to the forums. Thank you @Slestak75 for pointing out this thread!

I left the hobby at age 11 in 1999 to pursue both traditional and actions sports. I loved my Proyo II and my Turbo Bumblebee and can recall vividly the experience of learning fundamental responsive yo-yo tricks from a picture book (Before the dawn of YouTube….haha).

Now at 35 years old, I’m currently in the DMV area of the US (DC, Maryland, Virginia) learning unresponsive play and loving it. My other hobbies include 1/10th scale RC rock crawlers, fpv drones, and bass fishing.

I was an avid skateboarder for 20+ years and loved pushing the boundaries of what I believed I was capable of. Now that my body can’t keep up, it’s been a beautiful blessing in disguise to have rediscovered yo-yo. Modern yo-yo play is very similar to skateboarding in that now there are endless ways of being technical and creative.

I’m very excited to be back I look forward to learning from you all. Cheers! :call_me_hand:

14 Likes

Hey Geoff! I’m another newbie around here. Skateboarder turned thrower. I still skate as much as I can, but it is a lot harder on your body once you hit your 30s!

Nice Bathyspheres! Color me jealous!

9 Likes

Hello to all the skaters in their 30’s from a fellow skater in his 30’s! Yo-yoing draws a lot of wonderful parallels to skating. The only diffrence is that I’m more likely to make good life choices when I yo-yo all day. :laughing:

10 Likes

Greetings All,

I am Dave. Retired for 6 years now. Getting back into YoYos after a 5 decade lapse. I bought a few beginner yoyos and am (re-)learning the basics. I appreciate the knowledge shared here.

I hope to be skilled enough by this summer so I can introduce my two granddaughters to the sport.

12 Likes

Welcome (back,) Dave! Yoyo tech has advanced a lot, even in the past decade. Definitely take a little time to get comfortable.

Also, welcome to the forums!

1 Like

Welcome. Feel free to ask questions here, there is a wealth of knowledge.

2 Likes

I’ve been a member in these forums for years, but I’ve been away for most of them so I guess I should introduce myself. I’m Jay! I got into yoyos in like 2016 but never got very good, I’m basically starting over from scratch these days

I’m 31 and a big fan of fixed axle and modern responsive. I spend a lot of my day at my computer so throwing is a good habit to get me standing and moving around a bit. I’m really glad to be back in the hobby

10 Likes

Same!

Welcome back to the forums. If you haven’t been practicing lately, throwing technology has advanced the last couple of years. Definitely take some time to check out some of YYE’s tutorials. I had also been away from throwing for a while and also not very good, but YYE’s videos brought me back up to speed with responsive throws within days and then some.

Now I’m on that unresponsive grind.

2 Likes

Hey everyone - been lurking for a while and actually made several connections on Facebook.

I decided to take the dive into YYE. :partying_face:

I have been playing since I was 10 but put it away for the better part of 10 years.

I am in the process of dusting off some of my old toys, learning everything from the beginning, and filling in gaps of the collection!

So far everyone has been really nice and cool! Excited to be here.

15 Likes

Hello and to the forum, Nikolaos! :tada:

Don’t hesitate to ask question if you have trouble. YYE has a some pretty good tutorials. Don’t be afraid to go back to the beginning to refresh.

We’re excited to have you here!

5 Likes

I am starting from zero just to get brushed up.

Great suggestion and thank you!

5 Likes

Definitely welcome.

4 Likes

welcome all new folks so many people recently

7 Likes

Hi all. Just joined the forum after browsing as a guest for a few days.

My 6yo son has just got hard into yoyo so of course I’m following. He has a couple of MYY Krystals and has a Shutter on its way as we speak.

We’ve got a YoYo King Ghost here as well that belongs to my 16yo son.

I’m thinking I need to get myself one too. Currently tossing up between a YYF Shutter, DNA and the MYY X02 The Chosen.

Any suggestions on which of the two to go for?

Brilliant to see an actual forum too, not just another stupid FB group. Bravo.

We’re from Hobart, Tasmania (Australia)

17 Likes

Well…Gday mate. Welcome to the forums. I don’t have any of the yo-yos that you are choosing between so I can’t say much on them, but I know you’ll get opinions soon. Glad to see you joining your children in their adventures. Families are much better as families instead of a bunch of individuals living together. I hope we get to hear years of adventures from you guys.

5 Likes

The shutter is a great option for a beginner to intermediate player and phenomenal to learn unresponsive play on. Other good options are the Yoyofriends shortcut and the Yoyofriends paragraph.

8 Likes

And welcome to the Yoyo community!

7 Likes