Introduce Yourself! 2023

Hello everybody!

I used to post on here a few years ago before leaving because I was a bit of a grumpy old so and so. I never gave up throwing and thought I would show my face again and look forward to catching up with what’s been happening :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Welcome back, buddy! You’ll quickly notice lots of new faces here!

5 Likes

Thanks man, hope you’re keeping well.

3 Likes

Welcome back!!

3 Likes

Hi Everyone!

I’m Nathan. Relatively new to yoyo. Working through the first 50 tricks on the yo-yo tricks app and am on man on the trapeze and his brother slack. Right now I am loving me some G2s, atmos and the Duncan gtr-js.

As a hello I would like to give away a YYF 9 dragons. First one to message me and wants it gets it! FYI my daughter has hit it on the floor a few times but it still works :joy:

16 Likes

From one Nathan to another; Welcome!

4 Likes

Hi folks,

My name is Jesse (or Mou [like the thing a cow does]), either works. A small handful of you might already know me from my Instagram page, as I’ve been sharing peoples videos and interacting with some of the community there for a few weeks now.

I’m new to yo-yoing, I’ve only been throwing for a few months but its been an extremely fun time-sink and those I’ve met in the community so far have been awesome.

I’ve got a nice little collection growing, but my 2 go-to throws are either my Grasshopper GTX or ZipLine Strings Easter Ripple Proto.

Look forward to meeting more of you! : D

19 Likes

Welcome

4 Likes

What’s funny is I haven’t been on regularly, probably close to the same time, so to me it looks like you never left :yum:, but I didn’t really quit I just have wild ADHD and forgot about it till just now.

2 Likes

Howdy Fellers,

My name is Paul and I started Yo-Yoing about 2 weeks ago. I’m currently working on Barrel Rolls and the UFO on a Replay Responsive. I’m also an avid Judo practitioner and dog picture connoisseur.

I’d like to move into more unresponsive tricks as the responsive tricks aren’t really scratching my brain like they were when I first started. So I am writing this post in order to garner enough trust to put out a search warrant for an iYoyo Ippon. If you have an iYoyo Ippon, please DM me.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

20 Likes

Welcome aboard, Baul! The transition to unresponsive from responsive is a fun and rewarding challenge. I’m happy to see more people take interest in yo.

Is your heart set on the iyoyo? There’s a swath of options out there but I love the look of that yoyo so I won’t try to suggest something else if you don’t want to hear it. lol

3 Likes

Howdy Mooky!

Thanks for the kind welcome! While I’m definitely determined to find one eventually, the majority of the appeal of the iYoyo for me is that it’s a spinning Judo reference, but I’m definitely open to suggestions if you have them!

1 Like

Hey folks,

New to this forum, but used to be active in the community back when theyo.com and YYN were thriving. Went by this same user name back on those boards, and am happy to see that there are still a few recognizable names around (JHB, I’m looking at you!). Ive often wondered what happened to a lot of the old breed, particularly those who posted on theyo.com around 2005-2007. Frequent contributors like Atomic Cow, JHB, Luke Vader, Gsimian, FNG, AcidRonin, mgodinez, etc…made that place special, and the sense of community truly felt tight knit. Glad to see that theres still a core of die-hard throwers and its nice seeing a young, new generation at the helm.

14 Likes

If you’re looking for plastic any of the Jeffrey Pang design’s rule! He has a couple designs with Luftwerk (Fulvia, Fulvia Hybrid, 000) and then the Skyva which was my first unresponsive and I loved it.

If you want metal the Shutter is a great staple! I also see that the UNPRLD Notion looks like the Ippon just minus the judo reference.

I’m only two years deep into unresponsive however and I’m sure anyone here will have a large list of better suggestions,

5 Likes

Hey everyone, been on here for a while and figured it’s time to introduce. My name’s Jason, I’m a mid 40’s thrower from Maine, been into yoyo now for about 13 years. I had a few as a kid, loved the Smothers Brothers and all that back then, and lost interest as I grew older. Back in 2010 my wife got me an Imperial at the drugstore for a stocking stuffer and I started carrying it around because I’m a huge Doctor Who fan and my favorite Doctor, Tom Baker, used to carry one in his pocket to test gravity on strange planets, haha. At the same time I was getting into nerdcore hip-hop and stumbled across the music of Doctor Popular. After looking for some of his music videos on YouTube I found his video “Weave”, and it absolutely blew me away (naturally). I instantly needed to try and do what he was doing, so I went to Toys R Us and picked up a Duncan Metal Drifter. I figured out how to beefcake the bearings, and I was hooked. So thanks to two different Doctors (:grin:) I fell in love with yoyo.
I have a bunch of fav throws, but lately I’ve been really into GWAY & ZGRT, but always have a place in my heart for G2 and of course anything by OneDrop.

18 Likes

Congrats and welcome aboard! I wish I could go buy a metal drifter at Toy’s R Us right now lol

Are you still rocking the beefcake drifter atm?

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forums all you new folks! Stick around!

3 Likes

I still have it, but I haven’t thrown it in a few years. Definitely got me started on the right foot though!

1 Like

Howdy! I’ve been lurking for a while and finally decided to sign up. I’m from Arkansas, and in my mid 20s. I’ve only been yoyoing since November of 2022. I’m in no rush to learn, so I’ve just been picking up what I think looks cool here and there: boingy-boing, laceration tricks, eli hops, basic loops, etc. I like to yoyo in public, so I focus on things that are obnoxious enough to draw attention, but not obnoxious enough to discourage people from striking up a conversation. Right now, I’m slowly chipping away at all of the skills required to do the DNA.

The thing that draws me most to yoyos is how they act as a design space. I like it when they’re really weird. I think yoyos exist at a fascinating intersection of form and function, and I respect those who push boundaries – even (sometimes especially) at the cost of performance. So, naturally, I really like Sengoku – the ERCIM in particular. I’ve been on-and-off writing an article that fleshes out my feelings about the yoyo. If there’s a self-promo section, I might post the it there.

My three most common throws are: Sengoku’s ERCIM (shocker), One Drop’s The Thorn, and a Duncan Dragonfly XT I got at Target…last November.

I’m not sure which yoyos I’d want to go for next. Obviously I’d like some more Sengokus, but if I had to point out a ridiculous “holy grail,” it’d probably be an IYYC Breathe – for design, aesthetic, and historical purposes. I’d also like to interview its creator; from what I’ve read, it probably has a few really cool stories behind it.

If you have some obscure and strange-looking yoyo that you want me to stare at, feel free to PM me or ping me in a thread! Chances are I haven’t heard about it.

16 Likes

Welcome! I have a feeling you’ll dig this thread B!ST Yoyo Gallery

Good luck on the DNA!

7 Likes