I just got scammed

Well yeah but I figure PayPal is doing pretty well for themselves, and saying “I want to use F&F” is opting out of a paid insurance service. So the discount is for less service in that case, no insurance.

2 Likes

That’s not correct. The fee they charge is one of the ways they stay in business (along with the float of money in accounts). It’s not just insurance.

And WalMart is doing well also, I wouldn’t go in the store and stick something in my pocket because of it though.

2 Likes

OK, so not selecting “goods and services” is stealing from PayPal? :thinking:

It’s interesting that they would prominently offer a “press this button to steal from us” option in their user interface, don’t you think?

2 Likes

I dunno. You tell me. This is from their site. People can choose to not read it or adhere to it all they want. But it’s there and this is their intent when you use their service.

1 Like

All I see in the yo-yo community is friends I may not have met… yet. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I agree, PayPal is doing well for itself. You make a valid point, if someone opts out of Goods&Service, they forfeit the insurance this provides. I guess, as an old guy, I just don’t want to see kids get scammed. I don’t want to see anyone scammed, especially those who don’t know better.

That said, I had a company quote me a price for a yoyo, I agreed, they then said that was “friends and family payment price”. Entirely unacceptable. I informed them I found this unethical and wouldn’t be doing business with them in the future.

2 Likes

Well yeah from a company which is a business that is weird. For a person… not so much.

2 Likes

I see Friends and Family as that free service Paypal put in as a favor. They could have not, but they did. It’s basically a really simplified way of sending money with no fee. It probably gives them way more of a headache than it’s worth to keep. We could be stuck doing wire transfers or sending money through the mail, but instead we have this extremely convenient service. For them to charge a small fee for complete buyer protection that’s pretty baller.

6 Likes