I just got scammed

Hello i just got scammed & it kinda put me in a sad mood today. Its kinda my fault for it but i asked for pictures showing the gap & he did produce just that.
So i thought he was legit, Sadly hes not a man of hes word with he’s actions …
just be aware that hes name was sumthing else then he changed it to loroo23.
Hes email hristoyordanov654@abv.bg
Im here to be an example…

What should i watch out for when doing deals on here.
Or is there alot of little kids that can not socialize like a community & keep there word ?
I know theres alot of good people out there.

3 Likes

This is so incoherent I’m unable to make any sense of it…please explain what happened exactly? Did you send payment friends and family or goods and services?

6 Likes

I sent with friends & family but i talked with my bank they said in 10 days they will let me know if i get refunded or not but they said they dont see why wouldn’t i get refunded.

1 Like

Never send with friends and family unless it is a person established on the forums with good reputation. ESPECIALLY never send F&F if it is a new user as it was in this case… being a new user is a huge red flag there.

The first thing I do when transacting with someone is look at their post history… that easily tells you if they are a new user or if they’ve been around for a while, posting.

13 Likes

I’ve done well over 100 yoyo trades, and I’ve never been scammed.

You just gotta do your due diligence like Coding said. Most people aren’t scammers, but the ones who are will usually be recognized pretty easily.

I refuse to send F&F and usually just send a couple extra dollars to cover the PayPal fees.

7 Likes

I send F&F regularly but only to people that have a history in the community. Would not even consider when buying from a new user of any kind.

6 Likes

I love how he was banned for 1000 years :joy:

24 Likes

will be more aware of who is on the other side from now on i feel like i learned a very valuable lesson rite here

4 Likes

I’ve circled the problem area… maybe we could use a way more obnoxious CSS color scheme for new user topics in the #buy-sell-trade category, what do you think @jhb8426?

12 Likes

Suggestion -although this might be even more work for admins.

B-S-T trust icons.
Almost like an emoji or something next to a name,
May achieve trust icon through 5 succesful (B,S, or T).

4 Likes

It’s not complicated, just look at the history of people you will be sending money to… takes like one or two clicks.

5 Likes

Oh, i just thought it would be easier for people who have no experience in the bst world. But i guess, everybody needs to know about checking profiles first. New members may not know about it :kissing:

3 Likes

I agree it would be a cool idea

2 Likes

Or if we could just get the normal feedback system back!

2 Likes

As I’ve said before, make admission to the BST dependent on a minimum time registered and minimum number of relevant posts. The color coding for new people is also a good idea.

And people need to check the user profile and be very cautious with new people, as well. Never send paypal as family and friends unless you have dealt with the guy before and have a trust relationship. It can’t be entirely on the forum to avoid scams.

7 Likes

Sending paypal F&F to a new user is just… bad hygiene, man. Not sure anyone can protect against that.

4 Likes

Well; don’t look now… but Yoyojamslam just joined ‘4’ days ago. Lol

FORGET THE FRIENDS AND FAMILY option.

If you use it and you ain’t buying something from yo mama; you are an Idiot.

There is an old saying, ‘Pennywise; pound foolish’.

No matter what your budget is; most likely most of you guys figure out how to bounce for: phones, iPads, skateboards, mountain bikes, tattoos, Vape gear, headsets, guitars, whatever…

But amazingly; when it comes to Paypal fees; all of a sudden; out comes the penny pinchers.

Paypal is Worldwide. They don’t work for Mother Teresa. They are not a non-profit. Paypal is a money moving Business. For what they provide; their prices are peanuts.

The advantages from paying the fees far outweigh the costs. Use Paypal; deal goes bad… they get your money back to you. And they deal with the snakes.

Current PP fees for general transactions is about 3%(or close to it).

Say… you buy a Titanium yoyo for $300. You use Paypal and pay the fee(about $9). The Clown doesn’t send the yoyo. <<<. You will get your money back.

$9 to insure your $300? <<< no rocket science here.

And if you totally convince yourself that you just can’t afford to cover your purchase; than most likely you shouldn’t even be buying a yoyo.

I am not happy when I hear somebody getting scammed. But I sure don’t spend much time feeling sorry for them.

Pay the Paypal fees and save money on Kleenex.

20 Likes

^^ Truth. Honestly I did my first ever paypal transaction with a member on the forum here, and when I read the options for payment I did not select F&F. Why? Because they arent a friend or family, but a stranger I met online. Just seemed obvious to me. Id rather throw the seller a few extra bucks than trust a no refund system though. Damned if ill use F&F with anyone I havent directly dealt with in the past, and like yoyodoc said, the fees are minimal. I think this whole “use F&F” stuff should stop. Way too many people are getting ripped off because they didn’t want to pay for insurance.

3 Likes

Everyone seems to be really against F&F, but I’d like to argue for it for a bit. If you’re someone who regularly buys off of the BST, then the G&S fees, while quite small, can really add up. It also may seem like a waste of money to some. If you’ve never been scammed, then why give PayPal the extra money that you’ll never get back? If you vet your seller well, you can pay F&F, and get every yoyo you buy for a few dollars less. Also, most people will list their prices as F&F, which means you end up having to calculate the fee yourself, a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.

As someone who has sold their fair share of yoyos, I would much rather have all my transactions go through F&F. It makes prices more upfront, negotiating becomes easier, and the buyer is almost always more enticed by the lower, more definitive prices. There’s no confusion and no unnecessary hassle.

That being said, F&F is a RISK that’s only worth taking if done correctly. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.

3 Likes

As someone who has done a fair share of selling things on eBay, I feel sellers need to get over the fees. It is part of doing business. Add it to the price you post and it’s no big deal. F and F should be left as a kind gesture not standard business.

12 Likes