I got last place in scales open

I am quitting online yoyo contests. I Hate them anyways, It took me 2.5 hours to film a 1 minute video.

12 Likes

This wonā€™t let me type a single letter so I have to type this sentence but:

F

5 Likes

Donā€™t give up bro. Just keep practicing and make sure to read the rules so you know how to score better

11 Likes

Last place is still better than the thousands of us that didnā€™t even compete. Be proud that you had the courage to put yourself out there and keep in mind that talent is subjective.

If you have it recorded and you put in the time, feel free to post it. The yoyo community has mostly cool people and are like a big family. If I saw someone in the public doing the Split the Atom, we are immediately cousins in my mind, lol.

30 Likes

Ayyyyyy, dont quit man. Just have fun with yoyo, and improve every day :slight_smile: I know it sucks, but patience with yourself is so important in yoyo and in life in general. Dont quit. The community needs you.

7 Likes

It took me years to ever final at a contest and multiple failures leading up to me finally getting the system enough to start placing better.
Placing last happens but it shows you where you can keep growing as a player.
Giving up at the low points leaves you never knowing your full potential and always thinking of yourself as a lacking player. Use this as an opportunity to overcome and grow instead.

Iā€™m still learning the modern contest system for my own play as well and itā€™s been very humbling going from a champion 5A player to a lower level modern 1A player, but its giving me an opportunity to grow despite the failures.
Stay with it and donā€™t let it get you down.

J

16 Likes

Here is some excellent advice that will indicate whether you are part of your problem or part of the solution.

Scroll down to HaruRaysā€™ post.

Read his text fast, the first timeā€¦ā€¦ to sort of warm up.

Take a few deep slow breaths. Pretend you are actually receptive to useful life lesson information.

Now, read his response, slowly, about7 or 8 times.

Each time you read it, realize and recognize that his words are coming from a World Grade level Yoyo playing Competitor/Champion(him) in :1A, 2A, 3A, 4A and 5A.

Grasp the reality that Josh spent hours a day for years, entering Contests all over the Country and some other Countries.

He has won Ironman Competitions(competing in All 5 major styles) against some serious like level players.

For several years it seemed his specialty was losing Contests. But every time he lost a Contest, he challenged himself to do better/try harder/and learn more, even in losing.

He is as stubborn as a donkey and as smart as a Fox. To Josh, not winning is just a message to try harder.

ā€¦ā€™Youā€™ say you Hate Contests anyway. You whine about spending 2.5 hours to film a 1 minute video.

ā€¦There is an old saying, ā€˜When the going gets tough, the tough get goingā€™.

Being upset is part of being human. But crying like a baby because you fell short of your expectations, gives you zero credits on the road to any level of success.

Donā€™t fall into the forum trying to throw your own Pity Party. There are sympathetic members on this forum, but no Kleenex Choir.

You notice a few people have already jumped in to encourage you.

Anything worth winning is worth fighting for.

Nowā€¦ read Haruraysā€™ words again.

He actually doesnā€™t post very often, but he knows exactly where your head is.

Everybody involved in skill toy Contests was not born to ever be a Champion.

But, at this point, if you canā€™t even take a personal challenge to be a better player, then ā€˜youā€™ are the biggest obstacle in your path to getting any better.

ā€¦.Iā€™m 70 years old. I have fallen down plenty of times in my life.

When I was a kid, if I fell down and somebody asked me ā€˜What happenedā€™? I would say I fell down.

But as I got older and a little smarter, if somebody told me, ā€˜You fell downā€™. I would just smile and tell them I was just ā€˜practicing getting back upā€™.

Most Winners share a very common element. Luck and natural ability are always welcome. But the common element of Winners is perseverance. If you try hard and come up short, you try harder.

The strongest swords are forged through fire.

If you fear the fire, just eat your marshmallows cold.

22 Likes

Waitā€¦ you saw me in public?
Totally my goto public moveā€¦ and the Jade whip.

3 Likes

I came near last several years back. And this last year I was sponsored, things happen, I know Iā€™m not the best, but all I can do is try to get better, the same goes for you

6 Likes

(This user has been censored by forum moderators)

6 Likes

Stick with yoyo for the right reasons. People have hobbies because they love doing them. Mine is bass playing and youā€™d be nuts to ever see me get frustrated with music. Maybe contests are your thing but not everyone has a smooth start. Find enjoyment in throwing again first if you can.

8 Likes

ā€œI got last place in scales openā€
ā€œI am quitting online yoyo contests.ā€
Yeah, The last contest I entered, a 12 year old beat me in the looping tie breaker. Suck it up and move onā€¦

10 Likes

Not trying to be sour but you should compete in intermediate division first, that way you wonā€™t feel bad about yourself(judging from your routine, you wonā€™t place last there). BUT if you want to compete in pros, make sure to plan and practice hard beforehand, youā€™re facing against world, regional and national champions for the record. If you donā€™t, you will find yourself falling back

4 Likes

Not trying to be a jerk. Just one of the most inspirational songs I know. (No sarcasm)

4 Likes

Play to express, not to impress.

12 Likes

Man you are set up perfect. You can only go up from there. In life you gotta fail, like a lot. If you dont, you are never learning, never growing. You are already better than i ever have been in competitive yoyoing. You had the guts to put yourself out there and try. Ive always been too nervous. Keep up the amazing work. Aim to do better than you did this time, even if its second to last next time. I believe in you man!

7 Likes

I think you should have pride that you even tried. Next time you will be even more comfortable and (most likely) will do better. You went and did the thing, that counts.

9 Likes

I didnā€™t competeā€¦so youā€™re a more brave thrower than me already.

7 Likes

In scales v4 I got second last only because last place was someone who didnā€™t submit a freestyle. Itā€™s okay to be discouraged, I hope you use this experience to inspire you to do better :slight_smile: And if youre having fun with yoyoing in the end thats all that matters.

11 Likes

Youā€™re right. I never see anyone yo-yo, or have anyone to talk about it. It would be fun to trade tricks and ideas, and see someone elses collection for a while. My community is here and YT only.

8 Likes