I got last place in scales open

ngl its better to be in last than the person who is in second to last

2 Likes

Why? :slight_smile:

1 Like

How long have you been yoyoing

2 Likes

But itā€™s actually nicer if the person that finishes right behind you in a Contest, came in 2nd.

My theory anywaysšŸ¤“

4 Likes

Suppose that only great yoyoers competed in a competition. Somebody still has to get last place. It really doesnā€™t say anything about your absolute skill; however, it does say a lot about your commitment and courage.

5 Likes

If one failure was enought to make you quit, how strong was your resolution to start with then?

Keep at it. As long as you find it fun.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve heard a few top players say they actually enjoying just hanging out with other players more than competing,

3 Likes

He just said competing. Sometimes competition can suck the fun an activity for some people. Others thrive on it.

4 Likes

5 years

1 Like

you are correct. Online contests are like the stress of performing at regular contests, but none of the fun days or friend meetups of regular contests.

3 Likes

Dang wow im sorry you got last but keep trying and learning new tricks and youll get higher up there

2 Likes

Was it @Markmont that came in last at his first contest, and then won worlds, or nats, the next year? Canā€™t remember if that was you that told that story Mark? If not, maybe you remember who that was, and maybe it wasnā€™t even worlds/nats, but the next big contest they won.

Point is, if you want to compete then start putting the practice in, there is only one way you can go at this point!

6 Likes

Yup thats me.

In response to the original poster and other onlookers, always look at competing as an option, not a barometer of ones ability. Scales in particular has specific rules of how they judge, so really you are getting placed against what they themselves deem of value. It highly likely does not match with what you personally value most - so donā€™t take that too heavy to heart.

Hell Iā€™ve been at this 24+ yrs and still have folks commenting that my stuff is trash. Donā€™t let folks impact what you love nor how you love it.

1st year I competed at Yomega YoYo Association World YoYo Contest (y3a2k), I got last and 2nd to last place in the 2 lowest ladder divisions. But I seriously didnā€™t care, because I was able to fill up multiple notecards worth of tricks listed (thats what weā€™d do back in the day lol) Iā€™d finally got to learn, that I couldnā€™t learn from lo res videos. Came back the next year and got 1st place in the 2 highest divisions. Everyones gotta start somewhere.

Just keep jamming and keep the enjoyment factor at the highest point of focus. Some of the best players and most notable legends either choose not to compete, or suck it competition capacities. Competition is not the be all end all at all. Donā€™t concern yourself with placements, just concern yourself with yourself. Compete against yourself. Try and best your previous freestyle as your main goal of competution - and work towards just you feelin good about what you put down. And if you miss the mark, welp just practice more and get it next time.

Also yes, 2.5hrs is nothing when recording a competitin freestyle. Iā€™ve spent a cumulative recording time of 24+ hrs and failed at producing a 2 min video :joy:

Go head and #keepgoing

36 Likes

Yes, i know. And i agree.

I still stand by my comment tho.

5 Likes

Heyy man its okay you did better than me I didnā€™t compete so technically you scored higher than me and loads of other people that competed proud of you competing man!! keep going you got this

3 Likes

Same i didnt even compete

1 Like

I didnā€™t compete either. But if I had, you likely would have beaten me so take some comfort in that my friend.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve tried to come up with a positive response to this thread, something supportive and helpful but all I have is how I really see it.

Why not say ā€œHereā€™s a video of my scales entry. I didnā€™t do well at all. Any advice?ā€ You might have described what you liked about the learning process, possibly addressed how the videos were judged or even the how you viewed the talent pool. You could have shared your frustrations with the production, I know there is a great deal of talent on this forum. Those individuals, Iā€™m certain would have helped you out or directed you to helpful sources. After you have considered everything, you might just decide that itā€™s not for you. Okay, thatā€™s fine you tried it but if you give it some thought you learned some things.

Hate is easy and so is quitting. Both have real consequences and not always what we predict. Only you can choose for you. We each have to look deep within ourselves and decide how to handle failure and success. Practicing hate and quitting probably isnā€™t going to get you anywhere you want to be.

10 Likes

Iā€™ve sat and watched this thread and didnā€™t respond as Iā€™ve only been throwing around 3 years, have never competed, but also have no interest in competingā€¦ but I see a lot of myself in the OP when I was younger and competing in a different sport. Hopefully my experiences might help.

Iā€™m not sure of your age, but your post screams ā€˜unfairā€™ but also, it makes me question your motivation around competing. Ask yourself, when you entered, what realistic goal did you set yourselfā€¦ did you expect to win? Did you know the standard? Without realistic goals, itā€™s hard to contextualise the experience outside of a black and white win or lose.

I used to do the same thing, Iā€™d lose a game (in my sport), then go onto a forum to shout about quittingā€¦ and Iā€™d get the same response, quitā€¦ if you want to quit, quit. Otherwise, take the experience and ask yourself how do you move on. What response were you looking for from the forum based on your postā€¦ support? A mutual view you were judged incorrectly? People begging you to not quit? Really ask yourself, what did you want from this post?

In my experience, you have to reflect on the situation and really ask yourself why did you place last? Youā€™ve had some great responses in this thread from capable players preparing to offer advice and helpā€¦ but I donā€™t get the feeling you want to hear critical feedbackā€¦ and if you do, it doesnā€™t show through. Snap the help up and come back a stronger player.

So I repeat, ask yourself, what are your goalsā€¦ both in the short term and the long term? Without realistic, measurable goals, youā€™ll never feel like youā€™re progressing and then every bad placing will hurt more (when really, you might be a much better player than you were before).

People will only give you so much sympathy until you show you want to help yourself, and in those situations the community will be your best source of growth. Remember, your throwing career is a marathon not a race, as long as you continue to get betterā€¦ youā€™re doing better than 90% of people who throw.

So keep your head up, use this experience to learn, and come back fighting knowing where you need to grow and improve.

8 Likes

I agree

2 Likes