I don’t understand the love for all the “organic” throws

‘Sometimes the “best practice” is to FLOW.’ - Ed Haponik

This needs to be on a tshirt with an illustration of Ed on a massive wave while doing a fixy suicide somersault mid toss : D

9 Likes

How would you all explain the concept of ‘flow’?

Flow is effortless

I wouldn’t say I have as much insight as some of these other guys on here with FAR more experience throwing than me, but thought I would throw in my two cents as a relative beginner.
I started throwing in May of last year (almost been a year now! holy crap!) when I picked up a Duncan Butterfly from a hobby store. I had thrown as a kid in the 90s with butterflies, imperials, fireballs, and the like, but it never really went past that (I think Pokemon kinda rolled in and took over lol).
After maybe a day with the Butterfly I got on Amazon (don’t yell at me, I didn’t know any better yet) to find myself a yoyo that would sleep so I could do tricks with it (the Butterfly just would not sleep at all). I ended up getting a responsive yoyo, because folks were talking about needing to be able to “bind an unresponsive yoyo” and I figured “well that’s just a bit much for me, let’s stick to what we know.” I spent maybe 3 weeks with the responsive throw doing tricks I knew from the 90s, as well as learning some new things I never could get down as a kid like Brain Twister, Barrel rolls, atomic bomb, Trapeze w/ brother, Double or Nothing, etc etc, and found myself wanting to step up to the next level. I bought a Replay Pro (which at the time I didn’t even realize was pretty much O shaped) and learned most of the basics with it. I then moved on to get a Shutter, and that was fun for a while as well. I bought some other random throws throughout, but it wasn’t until I got my first metal organic (and my first G2) with the G2 OC, and I was immediately hooked. I ended up buying up a bunch of organics after that, and was constantly playing on them. Fast forward a few months of pretty much playing on nothing but O throws, I picked up a OneDrop TopDeck from someone on the BST. I was amazed at how long I could go on a combo on the TopDeck, and realized it was from all the plane control I instinctively learned from using organics (as Markmont mentioned, your hands are learning without you even knowing). My TopDeck is pretty much my goto EDC nowadays, but I still have my organics that I like to pick up and play to master my control and flow on new tricks. I have now since gotten a little bit into looping (though only with 1 hand so far), and wish I could go back and have spent more time on the responsive throw instead. However, even just picking up that looper at work everyday and tossing it a bit has improved my throw, flow, and regens.
Is it easier to learn a new trick on a more stable “performance” throw? Oh for sure imo. There are times I’ll be trying to learn something new, and I’ll go grab my TopDeck because I’m just getting frustrated at my O lilting while I’m set in a position (probably watching a tutorial) waiting to do the next part.
Should you avoid organics if you’re newer? Definitely not, you will be surprised at how much you will progress in mastering your control by throwing “less stable,” organic throws.

9 Likes

Everyone probably has their own definition for that kind of thing. In a yo-yo context (or… out of one actually) I would describe “flow” as non-attachment. That is, playing without comparing to an ideal or stopping your thought/motion to evaluate whether or not the trick is “ok”. In practice, I find that it’s more fluid - less stops and starts (a la Doc’s “alpha style”) and also more restorative/therapeutic than practicing with a specific goal/ideal in mind. The State of Yo that players have talked about for a generation isn’t some weird esoteric concept - it’s absolutely the natural result of throwing with a certain attitude/mindset.

And yeah, I definitely have an easier time settling into that headspace when using certain kinds of yo-yo’s (not that it would be exclusive to them).

11 Likes

Cool man, thanks for the reply. I used to do that same type of thing with my undersized trail bike when growing up; I would do the same loop on a track we built, and just get in the flow of going smooth without thinking. Sometimes id eat it because I hit a rock, but the feeling was just so therapeutic that I couldnt stop riding that bike instead of a full blown high performance dirt-bike. Kids these days have pit bikes, but the concept is sort of the same.

Well, I just got my Retic Boa in the mail and have been playing with it a bit (my first organic unresponsive). I definitely understand why people love the shape. Excellent feel in the hand, and while it isnt very forgiving, I can see the kind of extra tilt control you have on the string. Ill definitely be buying more organics based on how much I like this one.

4 Likes

While in ‘the flow’, there is no self, no center. Just movement.

“The consciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical action.”
– Bruce Lee

1 Like

Bruce Lee was referring to the phenomenon of Flow State, known to Zen masters as mushin (No Mind).

1 Like

We’ve probably deviated from the intent of the thread, but the State of Yo could absolutely be understood as an example of mushin.

3 Likes

Thanks, that was me, as the Forum Tech Support Janitor™ but I also strongly encourage @vegabomb and @jhb8426 to do the same whenever they see a tangent that’s worth breaking out into its own standalone topic!

3 Likes

First organic I had was an ILYY Mary and Spindustries Planet 9. Edit, then a One Drop 54! How’d I forget, tequila! Next was a General Yo Essence. All great throws but not the most inspiring to learn on, by yourself, watching videos on the cpu. These yoyo’s took a while to find enjoyment from me but surely helped find my own self letting go. They became fun and joyful while also fine tuning my ragged play. The others (non organic, comfy, whatevers) were more for learning and making conscious the weight I placed on myself to learn more and I appreciated the easier time I had with them.

But I also remember getting the Chico Heavy Hitter and thinking, I bet there are going to be a lot more yoyo’s like this to come. lol.

Going to quote BL again that fits better to this thread maybe:
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

2 Likes

Flow is the same as a noticeable pocket from a good band rhythm section. It being ‘noticeable’ is a really important factor. It’s not enough to just have consistent timing. That’s not good enough. In an instance of music, you don’t hear people referencing a pocket if it’s not noticeably solid. Just having a good rhythm isn’t good enough. I say that to make this connection - maintaining consistent time isn’t good enough to warrant it being considered flow. There’s no multiple levels in it - just the one classification. Flow. You either have it or are using it, or you just ain’t. It’s that certain noticeable style quality almost ‘on top’ of the trick or elements you are doing. Some people think it has to do with how smooth you are playing. That is a ‘factor’ but it isn’t a be all end all. Johnny Steel has a great flow, but uses way more stops then one would typically consider plausible to warrant the term ‘smooth’ even being called to mind. It’s how he combines his timing, elements and the control of it all in a certain balance that give you the true resulted ‘damn peep dat flow doh’ categorization : D

Lemme be more blunt. Flow is perceivable visual dopeness seperate from the actual elements you are even doing. It’s legit HOW you are doing them. That’s what it actually is. Flow is also literally - unique, solid and consistent visual execution throughout ones play (flow is a great many things lol)

Flow is the applied use of ones style in a noticeable and actually ‘dope’ way. It’s essentially noticeable and distinctly appealing control.

It’s perceivable control.

16 Likes

That’s the most nonsensical repeated movie line (Whiplash) adjunct hyperbole I’ve ever read, I think.

1 Like

Welcome to the mind of a life long artist sir : P

And it makes perfect sense : D

10 Likes

For sure. It’s the crux. How do you explain cool to the 0% cool.

But also, one who knows personality is the most fake thing of any human being. Control is an illusion.

Do you sir :+1:t6:

3 Likes

I love this.

Flow to me is something hard to describe, but you instantly know it when you see it.

Someone who doesn’t just “do tricks”, but controls those tricks however they want to.

2 Likes

Gets funky when you realize the tricks are controlling you too. It’s a dance. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Always. I give myself no other choice.
Dylan flies over my head too lol. Still love to chew the fat with any individual. Well, pick their brain to be more factual.

“There are, strictly speaking, no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity.” Shunryu Suzuki

2 Likes

“Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind” is on my nightstand, and I’ve listened to Peter Coyote’s reading of it more times than I can count.

5 Likes