I don’t understand the love for all the “organic” throws

Good thread.

Others here have already said what I would say about why I like organic shapes. This particularly rings true:

And I do think they feel different, but I also think that has a lot to do with someone’s particular style of play. If you are always trying to make organic throws act like a V shape, all the organic throws you play with are going to feel the same, slow and crappy.

It’s sort of like saying “All these fixed axles yoyos feel the same, terrible spin time and I can’t stack string layers” . Well, yeah, of course you can’t. But if you play fixed axle the way fixed axle is meant to be played, you would have a completely different opinion.

At the end of the day, to each their own. Nobody should try to force themselves to like any one kind of shape or style. I don’t love V shapes myself. I have some and throw them from time to time just for something different. But I’m not a contest speed thrower and I don’t require that kind of play out of my yoyo. VW bus/organic-shapes do it for me. But I’m stoked if other’s like V shapes. Whatever gets people throwing and progressing.

2 Likes

:thinking:

This is one of those yo-yo names that had to happen, kind of like my signature throw BRICK coming soon from @sfyoyos

I too found organic kind of an acquired taste, from a pure performance perspective almost any other shape is better … W, H, V. But once you skill up a bit it stops mattering as much and you can go back to appreciating the overall “feel” which is pretty darn nice on organic what with all those smooooth curves :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Best organics to me are A-RT Grail, YYF 888 (original, obviously), G2 Hawk, and the PP Heaven Sent Creep though that was a tiny drop apparently.

2 Likes

I didn’t capitalize the L in Life on purpose :stuck_out_tongue:

I definitely gotta get myself a brick too. Just need to get a life first.

1 Like

If you want to taste premium feeling organic at a great price then get a Boa or an Icarus!!

5 Likes

Oh! And I should have mentioned! If you want a truly powerful organic, go bimetal. I can’t say enough great things about the Mythril Flux. Go get one!!

5 Likes

I have some organic-ish throws that I like, but they aren’t high-walled pure organics like the Grail. And while I do enjoy throwing them occasionally, I most certainly do not have a preference for them or go out of my way to collect them. So while I can appreciate the different play experience you get from them, I still don’t quite “get” the love people have for them, especially over all other shapes.

1 Like

Oooh I do love my @DocPop Icarus!
To add to this, I have lost no performance with my Icarus. It is high walled, uniquely shaped, and performs very well. I am not super good either.

5 Likes

I love some “Horganic” and “Vorganic” yoyos - ones that are either V or H shape with a splash of organic curves…comfy in the hands yet stable to power through a trick or learning a new one.

2 Likes

Some of this “hype” that you see is just people who actively choose them like it’s making some kind of statement like that shape is superior to any other shape, especially better than all those “boring lifeless competition” yoyos. That’s probably the only negative aspect of it.

Organics feel nice tho, it’s a very fresh yet a very recognizable feel on the string. Being honest, almost all organics feel kinda the same in a way (unless theres an specific desing aspect that makes the yoyo different, like being bimetal for example), but that feeling being reinterpreted in different ways by different manufacturers is what makes people come back for more imo.

I’m quite fond of the Gauntlet, FHZ, O-Ting, Notus and YoyoEmpire Touchmore/Zeekio Anarchy myself.

6 Likes

I feel the ‘organics’ I can ‘steer’ or straighten out when they get off kilter, far easier than non ‘organic’.
But that is probably due to me typically not throwing on plane and ending up tilting. But like I said I can correct it super easily.

1 Like

Eric over here keeping it real, as usual :relieved:

1 Like

All organics are no more the same than all V’s or whatever other shape you have. There are differences in size, weight and weight distribution, all of which affect the play and feel, just like any other shape yoyo. But in the end, it’s all opinion. Guess ya just had to be there…

And quite frankly, I like the way they feel in my hand. They fit nicely.

2 Likes

Well; if it wasn’t for All yoyos having different: weights, diameters, widths, shapes, feel, weight distributions, cup shapes, edge radius’, axle lengths, bearing types, various grip response pads and in a multitude of color ways and assorted grindability factors…:nerd_face:

…They would pretty much be exactly the same.

On a more serious note>

Regardless of a yoyos’ identified category; Organics that even ‘look’ the same; don’t play the same.

Yoyos are kinda like fingerprints. No two (from different Makers or different models) play exactly the same.

Get a half dozen yoyos in each of several shapes: 6 Organic, 6 hard v shapes, 6 soft v shapes, 6 h shapes, etc. compared to their groups or compared to each other; they will all play differently.

Fine differences created by slickness of finishes affecting feel and possibly sleep times. Performance affected by bearing types. Performance affected by string type. Performance affected by various degrees of lube or no lube at all. Performance variations from using different response pads… and the list goes on.

If 2 guys are using Markmont Classics for example. One guy is using the stock flat bearing. He is using a poly string. He is using one drop of thin lube. His string is short. …

The other guy is using a KonKave bearing. No lube. A 100 percent nylon string. His string is 8 inches longer than the other guy. And either a very non responsive or very responsive response pad. Even the same model of yoyo can be a waaay different animal.

It’s more personal preference than absolute potential of functionality.

And the people that throw yoyos are as different as the various performance levels of the yoyos.

To prefer one shape over another is perfectly fine. But to draw any conclusions about which is absolutely the best and you can’t understand why others haven’t figured it out…

It’s like preaching which flavor of ice cream is ‘the best’.

No kidding🤔

27 Likes

:point_up:
Mic drop…

2 Likes

I’m a V yoyo guy. I also don’t like organics generally, but have tried a few good ones that stand out. I believe its all to do with the weight distribution - outside wall may look the same but inside could be 100% different. I don’t believe organic yoyo enthusiasts will be a fan of every single organic yoyo out there, just like i don’t like certain V yoyos that aren’t well designed. Just gotta find the right one for you

4 Likes

Wow people are really defensive on this subject apparently.

Which I guess wouldn’t be as ridiculous if the criticisms being made we’re of things I actually even stated.

Literally the only point I stated was that I personally think that a lot of “organic” throws look very similar in shape, and that I personally think more “performance” type throws seem to have a lot more variation.

@yoyodoc did you even read what I said before writing that giant holier than thou novel?

I understand that many things contribute to the way a yoyo plays, and that organics are not all the same. I explicitly said so multiple times.

I also made sure to state that I am not claiming any shape to be better than another, nor do I believe anyone needs to “figure out” anything.

You’re the only one “preaching” anything man, and not even about issues raised by anyone

3 Likes

I think everyone is having some spirited debate that’s all. You did state very clearly that you are a V guy. I think some of the defense is from your statements of organics being all very similar.

2 Likes

I stated a preference, and said some throws seem similar to me. I made sure to say it’s just a preference, and that neither is better or worse, and asked people to fill me in

I didn’t even make this thread. A mod split it off of a comment I made

I fail to see how that elicits a defensive response at all

2 Likes

A classic from SNL at ~4:22

11 Likes

Lol everyones defensive.

I’m defending myself against attacks about things I didn’t say in a thread I didn’t start

Some people are defending a yoyo shape from criticisms noone made…

4 Likes