I don’t understand the love for all the “organic” throws

Some of what I write might be redundant and scrambled but here we go.

Lemme first preface this by saying, that it is a ‘good’ thing that folks prop up organics because it’s literally where a LOT of what we have today stems from. It’s pretty important that organics stay heavily in the fold or too much in the throw game and throw progression will be impacted as a result. And I’m saying this having watched whats changed and not changed over the years as a result of a variety of factors.

I’d go on the record to say ‘most’ organics actually play rather different from one another, even though there are a lot of them in existence. If you can’t feel the difference between them, then it’s either a matter of having not thrown enough cumulative hours to feel the distinct differences or your bearing to string to pad setup is too similar from throw to throw. Hand sensitivity is real. Responsive to semi-responsive setup on flat bearing will give you the most distinct diff from one throw to the next. Concave and centering bearings lend themselves to normalizing the play style of literally any throw. They stabilize/center the throws weight distribution so you aren’t feeling as much of the throws actual characteristics. Thick string kicks back less and generally gives you more feel and control over the throws movement and speed where as thinner strings may spin longer from less contact but have less feel. Theres a lot of trade offs.

Organics yes make you work a bit harder because they are more prone to tilting, but thats kind of the point and the benefit at the same time. If a yoyo is overly stable, then you aren’t going to be able to manipulate its speed and movement as easily but will get the added benefit of extra spin time ie which is generally favorable for stage performance or competition. A throw thats ‘too’ unstable will be very very ‘fun’ for the first half of its spin time in a throw duration, then get really sensitive to nudges and hand straightness in the 2nd half. I try to strike a balance with the throws I make and throws I use. Right between stable enough and not too stable.

I could talk about this for days but this is getting long winded. Hope this helps. But as a quick test to start to get a better feel of the differences - set your organics up the same way on flat bearing with a relatively thick string. This is a good way to actualize the difference. You don’t have to like this setup or even keep using it - but it will def allow you to really feel the diff.

The tilting that happens on organics is often times viewed as a fault or negative to organics in general - when in fact its more of a lack on the player. Players throwing anywhere from 00 to 03 on Renegades, YYJs, Freehands etc had to maintain very clean technique to keep those throws from tilting. This is what prompted smoothness and then eventually flow over the years. This prob started to really come into a fruitin between 99 - 00 when folks like Cappy, McBride, Gary, Escolar, Doc started to level the game up. When you get a sense of what that feel ‘feels’ like, ie how good it can feel to rreealllyyy control all aspects of your throws movement - thennnnn you can really see ‘why’ folks rock with organics. They are generally a lot more comfy in hand and in catch compared to vs as well. Until you can comfortably jam on organic w/o feeling irritated from the tilt on lesser stability, then your def not going to enjoy it. It legit has to be worked towards. Just like how most instruments are flat out not gonna be fun until you learn how to really play them to their full potential.

Also - when people name top 5 throws or whatever, you have to take into consideration that throws aren’t always meant to be cross-compared with whats current. Some throws get their props because of how good they are/were when they came out. Or what additionally they set into motion at their time of release.

45 Likes