how often do you get free yoyos from contests?

Whenever I watch a yoyo collection, they guys say “I got this one free from worlds” do you have to compete at a contest (doesn’t have to be worlds) to get the yoyo, or do you sometimes get one for just going? Im going to ask a stupid question.
. : when and when is worlds? Is it like October 5th or something?

Probably a competition prize, a prize from a game during intermission, or a raffle prize. At NER, I bought $10 worth of raffle tickets and won a Dragonslayer Yelets. That was cool.

1 Like

Companies have been known to give out stuff at contests, be it via raffles, give-aways, blind “chuck it into the crowd” or it being gifted over to you.

Worlds is in the beginning of August this year. Nationals is October 5th or something.

Just to be safe and smart, I come prepared with a wants list and budget and stick within it unless show prices plummet and it frees up funds.

So what’s a persons chance of getting a free yoyo there? Like 10% or like 50%? I’d say like 20%. Where is worlds?

I did sport ladder at indiana states four people enter I got third won a Flipside and Classic. If you haven’t been throwing that long try sport ladder at your next contest.

I probably advertised this too much already, but I got a nickel Flow at MA States with the free raffle ticket they gave me.

On guy at 2011 worlds said to a group of ten guys “pic a # between 1 and ten” the first person who got it won the yoyo. It was a yyf skyline

Yes, yes you did… Haha, how is it?

I believe Worlds is on August 8th, 9th, and 10th in Florida. Someone feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

It’s not like I’m trying to brag, I just feel phenomenally lucky. I hope I’m not being obnoxious of anything XD. Anyway, it’s amazing. Between it and the Sine//Saw my Chief hardly gets played! Then again, thst’ll probably change after the honeymoon period is over.

No clue. The odds vary from moment to moment. If they do raffles and drawings, the more you enter, the more likely you are to win. I’d say like 1 in 50 to 1 in 100 odds.

Worlds is in Orlando, Florida in 2013. It’s moving to Prague in the Czech Republic for 2014.

U got one free? How much is a normal ticket?

Varies from contest to contest and how many you buy at once.

Well, probably not that often. Look at the number of contests, figure the top 3 placers in each category get a prize. Then there are a few contests that give out a few things as door prizes. that’s not all that many yoyos given out when it comes down to it.

I thought it was pretty funny, because. I vowed to not waste any money on tickets. It was just a happy surprise when they gave each participant a freebie, I didn’t expect to win anything though.

These guys are downplaying it because they don’t want you moving in on their turf. Companies give away yoyos like candy at competitions. You can just stroll through and literally come out with $300-$500 worth of yoyos for not doing anything.

If your plan is to start going to contests just to get free yoyos, I’m afraid you won’t have much success. You’ll probably spend more in transportation costs than the dollar value of the yoyos you may wind up with as raffle prizes and such.

If you want to get free or cheap yoyos, spend some time on the B/S/T and do your best to sell and trade the yoyos you already have for ones you want more.

Also, Nathan, you’ve got to stop giving away secrets. Didn’t you sign a non-disclosure agreement when you were inducted into the Free YoYo Bandits?

1 Like

I’ve never been fortunate to experience that, and neither have most of the competitive yoyoers that I know.

i got 2 yoyos free for going to VA states because they wanted to see me there agian cause i am was the only one there.