how often do you get free yoyos from contests?

:wink:

never…

I wish my parents would take me to contests :-\ maybe VA states next year…

This year worlds is gonna be in Florida then I think in Russia next year

No.

• 2013 United States of America (Orlando, Florida)
  • 2014 Czech Republic (Prague)
  • 2015 Japan (Tokyo)
  • 2016 United States of America

If you’re going to contests to “score free yoyos”, you’ve got the wrong mindset. Contests are all about the enjoyment/celebration of yoyo, the environment and atmosphere. Just because they center around a competition is just a reason to have the whole event in the first place!

For me, I prefer a contest that I WORK. As in: Doing sound and production for. Why? Well, that’s what I’m actually happiest doing. The fact that it’s a yoyo contest is just a bonus.

Nationals is a different thing, mostly since I’m not working the show, so I’m just hanging out, which honestly isn’t my “comfort zone”, but that’s cool.

As I stated before, I go to contests with a list of things I want(my wants list), and a set amount of money to spend.

Here’s an example:
I planned to spend my earnings 100% at BAC that I earned at BAC. What that number is is entirely my business. My budget included a 100-count of Type X and the RecRev Octave and the Sine//Saw with estimated prices. When RecRev was selling the Octave and Sine//Saw for so low, it let me buy the Silly Goose and still be breaking even: I estimated $60 each, and RecRev was selling for $40 each, so I spent the same $120, but I got 3 items instead of 2. In my book: I can say I essentially got 1 yoyo for free according to my logic. I still had money left over to get my kid a Go Big since he wore out his Fiesta XX.

At CalStates, I just wanted a BvMr2 from the CLYW booth(hey, get a CLYW from Caribou Chris himself!!), and I got one after I got paid. I also picked up a Whip for my kid from Andre’s booth. I had other stuff I got that day as well but that was stuff I had paid for from another vendor who had a booth at CalStates. They just delivered it to me on-site.

At Nationals, I was looking to get a Raptor since it had the Nationals 2012 caps. I was surprised by the Flipside and ended up getting 2(one for me and one for my kid) of those AND the Raptor. Another wanted item was 4 Loop 808’s(2 for me, 2 for my kid). I also got a Freq.Wav sine I had the funds for it and I was getting a sweet price on it. The 2 Flipsides kinda screwed my budget, but oh well.

At Nationals, I met Joseph Pallagi with Eternal Throw and got to try the Victory. I met some guys from RAYoyo and got to try the Chupacabra. Duncan also shoved a Barracuda into my hands. Mike Marshall from Chico YoYoCompany crammed the HH3 into my hands. All I can say is: THANK YOU!!! These were all amazing yoyos and I had to have them, just not that day! Talking prices with them, I was able to justify the prices based on the performance, and I put all of those on my “absolutely gotta have these” list. At no time did I ask for them to just hand me one for free. My questions were more along the lines of “How much are these running for” and “where or when can I get these?”

In general, I’m not asking for free. If someone is gonna give me something for free, I will take it. I’m not there to see what I can get for free. My mindset is to enjoy the contest, enjoy the environment, share what I have, try what I don’t have and see what else I should be getting. If it’s free, it’s free. If it’s not, then it’s not. My objective is to enjoy the contest, buy the models I have on my wants list and see what else to add to the collection.

So, don’t go expecting free. It might happen, it might not. Be willing to pay for or trade for what you want. If you want the appearance of free, buy the raffle tickets. Go for the people and the environment. Anything else that happens is just extra cool stuff.

Were you the only one there or the only girl there?

Dude, you care WAY too much about getting free yoyos. Yoyo contests aren’t about getting free yoyos. It’s about meeting yoyoers like yourself, buy/sell/trade with those people, buying yoyos, and watching the competition. It’s not about getting free yoyos. At all. If you go into it thinking you’re gonna get free yoyos you will be SEVERELY disappointed. There is a 99% chance that you will not get anything free at a yoyo competition unless it’s stickers.

Why do you care so much? You seem obsessed with getting a free yoyo. C’mon dude, let’s be realistic. I agree with everything Studio42 said, he’s on point. You gotta change your attitude buddy, quit trying to get free yoyos.

Only thing free I got at CalStates were stickers, and free AMMO and Type X samples, at BAC I snagged a T-Shirt that they threw out (a Yoyo BestBuy T-Shirt) and I gave it to my friend because it was his first contest and all he had was a Trigger and $20 that I gave him (my parents bought him a Theory, he was really happy :slight_smile: I think he also bought a yoyo holster from Bryan).

I got to contest to enjoy them and compete, I could care less about snagging something free, all I got free was a pack of Kitty string that my brother snagged for me (I was shocked, he usually isn’t that nice). Just enjoy the contest forget the free throws.

Do Facebook giveaways count? To those who have seen my full name [and please, do not disclose anything more than my first name (lolmyusername) if you do happen to see me] I’ve won a lot of Facebook giveaways over the past 3 years. A majority of my yoyos came from winning those said contests. It got to the point that I thought buying yoyos [except 2A pairs] were unnecessary.

I have a best-weird luck when it comes to that. It’s crazy.

But anyway, I’m with SR on this one. Though I’m pretty blessed and lucky to have a privilege of scoring lots of yoyos as I mentioned earlier, I do not expect it everytime. Seriously, I get surprised every single time I win because I just have that mentality of not expecting everything goes into my favor.

Same with real-life contests. I don’t go there just to grab something. If they offer it to me, why not? But if I’m gonna be the annoying kid in contests that no one wants always asking for free handouts then no thanks. And we all know that one annoying kid.

And as rare as real-life contests goes, you really gonna prioritize scoring a few toys than to actually play the said toy and hang out with people? IDK, it’s something that irks me. Go chill and enjoy the company of yoyoers.

That’s just crazy cool!

You should give me some of that luck :wink: I haven’t won any Facebook contests.