How many here get by on a handful or less of yoyos?

I start learning tricks in '99, after seeing some crasy guy with a mohawk in a Duncan Commercial.

Been knowing how to make them sleep forever.

But I have 10 that I am trying to get down to 3 maybe 5.

2 Likes

I have 7 at the moment, all but 1 came from buy sale trade, the othe from Amazon. I want a couple more. Iā€™d like to get something from G2, and an offset outlier.

3 Likes

I get by with just one.

One in each drawer of the house.
One on each counter.
One on each table.
One on each side of each vehicle.
One in each piece of luggage, always ready to go.
One in the garage.
One for each hour of the week.
One in each cupboard.
All the other ones strategically positioned like in my bike pack, and my ski locker and ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.andā€¦ā€¦.

Yeah! All I need is one. No big deal. :wink:

12 Likes

This is why you have a Nobel in yoyology my friend :1st_place_medal:

5 Likes

What can I say, I am a minimal minimalist.

4 Likes

There can be only one. :wink:

3 Likes

I used to get by on only a few yoyos (bout 5-10) but then I started getting yoyos for free and now I have way more yoyos than Iā€™ll ever use.

5 Likes

One of them wouldnā€™t happen to be a purple VTWO you wonā€™t ever use, would it?

2 Likes

nah, in all seriousness I donā€™t own that many one drop yoyos, I only have 2 a rebirth and a V benchmark.

1 Like

I ended up selling all of my old yoyos which were all probably 8+ years old and replaced them with a Magic YoYo Shark Honor and a Node so I have two total now. Iā€™m surprised at how much easier it is to land the yoyo and learn tricks with the ā€œmodernā€ yoyos which have the wider gaps and wider landing zones. Maybe thatā€™s why I fell out with yoyos for such a long time. I might have become frustrated with hitting a plateau and the need for more exact string catches with the narrower gaps and landing zones.

5 Likes

I had somewhere around 100+ yoyos, I ended selling most of them, and now Iā€™m somewhere around 40 yoyos now. Almost the complete collection of the yyf replay pros in every color, and than the rest of them are a mix from CLYW, One Drop, and YYF yoyos.

4 Likes

Woah! I was just wondering where you have been the other day! Nice to see you back!

4 Likes

I could never do that if I tried

2 Likes

Iā€™m sticking with 5 because I would neglect to use some of them if I got more

3 Likes

I definitely was a minimalist at first, only owning 3 yoyos that I would play equally. But the moreI got into the yoyo community and the more yoyos I discovered, the more I wanted to try them out. I think itā€™s super cool to be able to always have a wide variety of yoyos available.

4 Likes

As I slowly progress I find myself using fewer - about 5. I know what shapes / feel / weights I like and what gives me the results I want. I no longer want to work for the yoyo - I want the yoyo to work for ME. Some are just finnicky and I have to accomodate the yoyo like a special guest I wish didnā€™t drop by.

2 Likes

I have two, a dv888 and a heist. I use them both quite a bit but really have the heist on me most often since it is so comfortable in the pocket. I am still struggling with learning even the basics, like getting the undermount from the trapeze, which I recently realized I think is because I struggle keeping my hands on an even plane, causing me to miss the string. Anyways, until I can get a decent Arsenal of tricks down with the two yo-yoā€™s that I already have, I wonā€™t sink any more money into the hobby. There is no magical yo-yo that will give me the skills I desire, so until I prove to myself I can stay disciplined enough to put the work into this hobby, i wonā€™t allow myself to put more money into it and become invested in something that may not last.

12 Likes

Good on you, that is an excellent outlook. This hobby can get really expensive really quick haha

5 Likes

Thanks Chad, and isnā€™t that the truth! I have been watching a lot of your tutorials posted on here for binds and it has helped me get moving in the right direction, thanks for putting the time into those tutorials!

6 Likes

My pleasure! Iā€™m glad that someone is finding them useful. Iā€™ve been trying to focus the tutorials on useful and practical stuff geared toward beginners.

7 Likes