how long are your IRGs?

To yoyo143, I use a Supernova, and the way I get it on my thumb is by throwing it slanted towards yourself. Helps a lot.

I’ll shoot a video of me doing a 10-15 second thumb grind with my Chief once I get back from vacation in 2 1/2 weeks :slight_smile:

I’ve heard that before. Use your phone and make a video. We know you’ve got a smartphone.

I’ll give you the 10 seconds on the outside. I was doing some IRGs in disbelief at this thread and I got to 6 seconds. I’m willing to believe a better player than me could really push it and get maybe 10 seconds. Even 10 seconds is hard to believe (my El Ranchero has a Terrapin bearing + is good at thumb grinds; my throw is strong. I only got 6 seconds) but I’d be willing to believe it could be possible.

If you can do 15 seconds without any timelapse, though, I will not only eat my words, but I will have YYE send you a pack of string, your choice of brand. :wink: And I mean that in a good-spirited way. I’d be blown away by a 15-second grind, and I WANT you to pull it off!

I can get 10 seconds pretty much every time, 15 is gonna take a few takes but it can be done, I’ll shoot the vid once I’m back :smiley:

Suuurreee you will ::slight_smile: lol, I really want to see a 15 second IRG…

9 is the most I can do…

ahhh I wish I gotz my Chief with me… All I got is a POLISHED Phenom and I can do a 5 second IRG with that if I take a cap off. But If I can do a 5 second IRG with a POLISHED yoyo that wasn’t made to thumb grind than maybe that’ll convince you guys that I can do a 15 second one with a Chief :wink:

Only a video with a visible stopwatch/timer will convince me. :wink:

Nothing will convince me :wink:
Best grind i’ve seen is seven seconds for a finger grind in a video.

There’s less friction for an IRG if you do it only with the fingernail and no flesh. So you could hit 10 seconds. 15 seconds would leave me in slack-jawed disbelief.

Isn’t that how you’re supposed to do it? That’s how I do it :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, that’s how you’re supposed to do it; just saying that it’s not the same as a finger-grind, where there is more surface contact and friction because it’s a finger not a fingernail.

IRGs should be longer than finger grinds. But not 15 seconds long, still. :wink:

Your thumb grind is 6 seconds, that’s my finger grind :wink:

I was just referring to grinds in general, Greg. I can’t even land a solid two seconds for a finger grind ;D

Thumb grinds aren’t about skill in the same way. Finger grinds you have to get into the right place, keep the yoyo balanced, etc. I suppose if I had a glove I might be able to get a longer finger grind. My finger grinds are about 4 seconds if I’m estimating.

As often the case with grind threads, I think people underestimate how long a second really is. A stopwatch will tell the tale. :wink:

I hop into the grind, then I look at my watch to see when I started and when it ends :stuck_out_tongue:

No no, I throw at a tilt. It’s less than 10 on a normal throw.

You can reiterate all you want, but I (along with pretty much everyone else on this thread) am only going to believe it once I see this video.

I can get 3 seconds with a butterfly.