How I mod my Deep State (and other yo’s)

Enough…is never enough…of The Stuff.

I actually have to back up just a bit here. I forgot that I had tried a dry bearing in the Origen. I couldn’t find a happy place where it would play predictably without being snaggy. So I put the original bearing back in and put the thickest string I could put on without it being snaggy and it’s actually way more impressive. Way more impressive. I feel like this one will be troublesome with the dry bearing. Not a big deal as its diameter and weight distribution actually give it a fair amount of power. The extra spin from a dry bearing doesn’t seem to benefit this one much. And all for $20. $20…. Now “that’s” a real magic yo-yo. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Here’s my Butterfly XT with Big Fun caps. It makes pull starts easier than capless.

If you’re into responsives, the Layer Infinity Kasm it’s with is also highly worth a look.

2 Likes

I’ll second the Kasm. Hard to get as they sell quick when wayne drops them but we’ll
Worth it. Follow layer infinity and try to snag one at some point. Not all the expensive either for how fun it is.

1 Like

I play the Origen Stock with Medium String. Basic Play feels close to the RBC because the guts in both are the same. However, the RBC is better IMO in feeling and actual play.

Like you said, for $20 it plays above its weight class. Is definitely Value for Price.

2 Likes

My latest “Mod” that works in the confines of this thread was the Hybrid Fulvia.

Shorter Axel
Half Spec C Bearing
No Shims
Medium String

This one has been surprisingly fun. It is a step away from the typical Modern Responsive Yoyos. And more toward “Modern” Responsive wide 1A throws.

Prior to this, I was playing a YYF Arrow and Sage. The Hybrid Fulvia is a step above and beyond these two.

Have fun.

4 Likes

I’ve looked at that XT mod thread before. Good stuff and at the XT price point…I mean come on. $10 and some tinkering?? What’s to lose? I’ll check that Kasm out for sure. Thanks for that. I’m kind of glad it’s not available right now. Saves me some stink eye!!!:rofl:

2 Likes

Doing more 1a style tricks than the new modern responsive style is kinda where I’m at. Not that I have much of a repertoire of tricks. It’s more just the fun of it for me. And that new modern responsive wide 1a yo-yo is just what I was going for. The Magicyoyo V3 was my first time ever playing anything other than Imperial/looper style yo-yos. It was set up responsive and that’s what I started digging into some 1a with. So looking for a higher quality version of that was what started my quest. There’s nothing better than just putting your half spec in and trying out and it plays just perfect. Nothing else required. Thanks for sharing. :smiley:

1 Like

I have a clean mr85 bearing but nothing I’ve put it in feels right. I’ve Gone back to putting lube in them snd anything that uses an mr85 plays great that way. I’m fairly sure stock they come lubed.

I bought a pack of 10 as well as 2 ceramics and all were lubed stock. I have 2 RBC’s and one plays fabulous with a dry bearing and the other is randomly unpredictable. Then there’s that same random unpredictability with dry in the Origen so that sounds about right to me. Quite actually the way the RBC is made and its weight distribution doesn’t gain a whole lot from the dry bearing anyways but it does “feel” nicer to me….if it works. The one that plays well dry, I keep that way. The one that doesn’t I lubed and it plays great as well. Neither is really better, theyre just different.

1 Like

What would you think about doing a type a konkave bearing for a deep state? Im wondering if itd work but maybe i dont know enoufh about bearings like would it still fit in the slot lol

The bearing needs to fit the seat which for a deep state would be Size C (.250 x .500 x .187

The d size blanks I’m shoving in a size bearing yo-yos are sitting on top of the seat snuggly but because it’s a blank it’s not a problem if it’s snug and not seated properly.

I will warn tight fitting blank could result in galling which could damage a bearing seat.

2 Likes

ok so that’ll be a no on that probably lol i think i’ll just get a c ceramic to show my deep/deeper state the love it deserves :stuck_out_tongue:

i guess the type a konkave would be good for a yoyo thats responsive but you want to do some string tricks with? it’s interesting.

There are a few mini, micro yo-yos that use an type a concave and are unresponsive the heist is a solid example of that I think it uses a size a center track. Reminds me I need a new one at some point.

As for ceramic I’m not a fan of full ceramic but hybrid ceramic are really nice. Honestly the bearing centering cuts are more interesting than the material it’s made of. I really like a pixel type of bearing.

The biggest advantage s ceramic will give you is resistance to water and humidity and easier maintenance. Also a very very small decrease in weight.

3 Likes

Also the A size bearings (if there were a way to get them to fit the posts) would leave a gap that would allow the string to creep underneath of the bearing. It’s easy to use different thickness of bearings but going to different diameter bearings, such as changing from C to A, will prove problematic. But you can certainly use a Koncave C bearing in your Deep State. It will play not much different from the stock Deep State with a flat C. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve got to add here that, the more I throw the Origen, the more I like it. Everything about the weight and size and shape was appealing to me and now that I’ve settled on a string that gives me the play that’s closest to my liking the Origen is really starting to shine. Or is that just the finish….?

3 Likes

I suppose since this thread is how about how I mod my throws I can add these beauties as well. My favorite loopers.

Not much out of the ordinary here. Some Glow Fireballs with custom fit 720 guts. I bought blue spacers for my 720s and had 2 pairs of reds left after. I bought 2-720 bearings and sanded the red spacers until the gap was narrow enough to loop reliably. The axle had to be modded in 2 ways. I had to remove a few threads worth of length and I needed to soften the ledge at the base of the threads.

5 Likes

I’m very surprised by how long this thread has gone on but to get back to the topic this whole things started on I followed Steve’s journey with the deepstate and made some similar modifications which ill leave the work he did to stand for its self. The yoyo plays pretty awesome and best part is all i really had to do to get the half spec working properly for me was to add a shim and grid down a side effect till it fit together perfectly.

I also like the deep state in its default state with grease and a greased half spec makes it really responsive. I like this mod its very fun will probably leave my deep state like this going forward

4 Likes

I drank from the Kool Aide.

Half Speced a Snack.

Have Fun.

5 Likes

Me too. :grin::grin:

Oh my gosh. It’s so fun. I had to order a second to be unresponsive. This is just a fantastic little throw. I had to use 2 of the .01 shims in mine or the posts hit and the bearing didn’t seat fully. Figured I’d try shims before shaving the posts. Glad I did. It plays just right like this.
Here’s the unresponsive. This has really made me start playing a lot more unresponsive and man…this little thing is just a blast either way.

3 Likes