How I mod my Deep State (and other yo’s)

I direct people to this thread who ask about the bumblebee quite often.

I love this thread. Modding is my favorite thing to do probably why I’m loving 3d printing. @Hojo-YoYo i have a spyglass and some short axles so this sounds like an easy project might be what I do tomorrow.

2 Likes

Cutting axles shorter is one of my favorite easy mods. Congrats on the success!

3 Likes

I guess I went a different route. I just bought each size axel from 14mm down to 6mm.

2 Likes

Same. My yoyo parts collection is vast compared to my yoyo collection itself

2 Likes

Literally the only reason I Dremel my Side Effect axle is because they loctite it in and it’s too easy to mar the Side Effect trying to get the axle out so I’m fine with taking a Dremel to it. But in most instances I have a box with a variety of set screws (which is what these “axles” really are).

1 Like

Yoyo Post Modification; Can be used to Lower Posts on any yoyo.

For this project I used the Duncan Bumblebee. After playing with Mr. Steves Bumblebee, it was time.

Disassemble the yoyo, remove the Axel and bearing.

I picked up some 4mm “Grub” screws that are the same diameter and thread as the axels. I screwed them into the post to the depth of material I wanted to remove. Note: It doesnt take much.

I used masking tape to protect the yoyo halfs from potential damage.

Using a fine hand file, I gently removed the post material until the file touched the grub screw. Aluminum is a lot softer than the screw steel. The top of the screw acts as a guide to ensure that the post is square.

Remove the masking tape and the screw. You have a clean and shaved down post.

For this project, I am finishing it up with Permatex Grey Response.

Total Modification time: 10-15 minutes.

Have Fun

10 Likes

Using the grub screw is a good call. And taping like you did also keeps those shavings out of the works. Nice work.

3 Likes

I’m gonna have to add a Bumblebee to my wishlist now…

1 Like

I wouldn’t, unless you are going to commit to working with it.

Ammendment: Do it, with Throw-Yo yoyo rope. No modification needed.

1 Like

I was wondering. Rob admits this string is wound very tight. I think that makes it thicker than some rope I had used prior. With that said, it would probably play amazingly with that string and a standard 4mm A bearing too.

Ill try to find my stock bearing and give it a try when I have a chance.

I will confirm these are wound fantastically tight.

1 Like

I’ll have to go down a size and send you two some to see if it’s a bit “less” :smiley:

1 Like

Actually…why don’t I send you the 2 strings I have that,I told you about, as a template.

1 Like

What sting did you settle on for your Origen?

1 Like

I have given my Origen away to a friend a while back but I’m pretty sure I was using Zipline Slushie on it. It is a 100% poly string in a normal thickness. It actually played very nice with most any string on it. What I liked about this string was it responded very nicely with no delay and yet still allowed the string to slide in the gap. A thicker string definitely gets more responsive and if i remember correctly (please correct me if I’m wrong) a looping string could play kind of semi-responsive on it. I also played mine with a cleaned and unlubed bearing in it. If you have any issues or any other questions, please feel free to ask. Hope this helped. :grin::+1:

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve unfortunately not had the best experience. It played beautifully out of the box but after the string faded I’ve yet to get anywhere close to its originally feel. Every string I try has varying degrees of semi responsiveness, none of which feel fun or predictable. I don’t use a ton of different string but I have a small variety of poly and cotton, and it didn’t seem to like any of them. I’m about to buy some more but I want to make sure it’ll fix it. I’ll try your suggestion.

1 Like

I understand completely how frustrating it can be when they become randomly unpredictable like that. I know exactly what you’re talking about. It’ll perform perfectly for 3-4 throws then out of nowhere it just doesn’t respond at all…for no reason and maybe it’ll do that a few throws and then act perfectly again. Something I found on the MR85 yo-yos ( and you have to be careful with this) if you disassemble it and remove the bearing… when putting it Bach together, it’s very easy for the bearing to be only very slightly not square. This will allow things to tighten up and feel right when in fact the halves are not quite screwed together fully. It’s best to pay a little extra attention to make sure that bearing is fully seated before reassembly. Also after everything tightens up, I usually loosen and tighten a couple extra times to make sure it tightens until it stops tightening. It’ll actually tighten down on the bearing and no longer tighten further. If the bearing is shifting into place while this is happening it can feel very scary. I am super duper cautious with reassembly of these. Also if you have lost the level of response you like, it could be that you like a lubed bearing and it’s time to add some more lube to the bearing. Please let us know how it goes.

4 Likes

Also, thicker strings will tend to have more response. And some nylon blends I have found to have a better response than a similar thickness poly string. Executive Class from Zipline is an example of this.

2 Likes

That was it! Opened it up and sure enough a little pressure clicked the bearing down. Took care to get the other sided screwed down straight and tight and now she’s as good as new! Thanks so much, such a small adjustment so easily overlooked. Back to loving it!

3 Likes

Off topic but I just checked out the link in your profile.

Your art is amazing dude! I’m going to try and check out The Space Odditorium sometime. It looks awesome!

2 Likes