How I mod my Deep State (and other yo’s)

I had the pano not that long ago. I didn’t think to try it responsive and at the time I had modded a set of SE for my deepstate. Ohhh well.

2 Likes

It took me a minute to understand what you were saying. I hadn’t even payed any attention to the fact that my clothes matched the half swap. :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Where??

They are being referred to as retro response pads

Yyf direct is possibly the cheapest option but they resale through walmart and youosam. Surprised they aren’t on yye as well. It’s annoying that they cram string in with it but mine came with pads then I bought two spare packs so now I have 8 sets of cork as I got both the mutant and machine lol. Yyf at least for now seems to be planning to keep them in stock.

However I’ve already been thinking of/when I run out I’ll just save the shape and buy something like an adhesive backed cork board at the right depth and cut my own response pads out.

2 Likes

So I had been doing the fixed bearing on the confusion but it’s still not right just too much. Maybe I could swap the pad but that even seems not worth it.

Did you end up sticking with thick string or doing the thin bearing?

I have the 3mm bearing, one thick pad and one thin, and I actually tried it with some Zipline Prestige and got some real nice play. The thicker string speeds it up a little but the Prestige still plays pretty good.

1 Like

There we go. That worked. It’s way better play now. Thank you

Project; Responsive Fat Tire 20/20

Tools: Harbor Frieght Digital Calipers, Fine Flat Machine File, Small Pliers/Towl, Axel Allen Wrench.

Materials: Shorter Axel, Half Spec Bearing

Started off be removing the Axel from the side effects. Measured the Side effects; One was 0.432, the other was .430.

Carefully and making sure the Side Effect was flat, slid it along the file. Checking every few passes for measurement.

With other half spec conversions, we add .010 spacers to each side. So removing .010 was the goal. Each side effect ended at .420.

Aluminum dust and final products.

The whole process took about 30 minutes. I ended up putting a drop of Thin Lube to make it a hair more responsive. Dry bearing was still Unresponsive.

Have Fun.

5 Likes

So finally got around to tinkering with the bumble bee.

Ended up using the 3mm bearing linked earlier in the thread.

Unfortunately the bearing posts are too long for this to work without modifying them. I am not ready to file them down yet.

So I ended up using the narrow bearing and .010 shims on each side.

I found some “Rope” I didnt know I had. Was a gift with a BST purchase at some point.

A little lube… This is plating way better than stock now. If I get the gumption to file the posts, I think it will be even better.

Have fun.

2 Likes

Only other thing would be silicone the response vs the sticker. I didn’t like the Duncan response stickers at all they feel bad. Throwing shims on everything with an annoying post seems to be the answer.

File it!!! Kidding. I mean if it plays without the need to file then that’s great. It does make quite a difference for sure. Siliconing in the pads and sticker recess makes it even nicer. That “rope” definitely looks right. I wish I could find a source for that. How do you like the Fat Tire responsive?

1 Like

I will probably end up filing the posts down. I have ordered M4 x 3mm set screws. My plan is to insert one into the bearin post as a “Depth Gauge”. The second reason is when I take it out, it will clean the starting thread up.

Responsive Fat Tire and I are still in the introduction phase. I like it, but we havent had enough time together yet.

I still find my self reaching for the Responsive SW Steadfast more than the Fat Tire.

Gave Fun.

2 Likes

Figured this would be a good place to post this.

Crescent RT24 Pliers.

These are great little pliers for when the axel gets stuck in a yoyo half and no access to the allen wrench hole.

While I do have bearing removal tools, this can also perform that task.

A quick trick;

Apply a piece of electrical tape to the side of the jaws.

Then scrape/cut aliong the corner of the jaws. Leaving the tape only on the side of the jaws.

This is just a added step to try and protect the yoyo half from getting messed up from the steel tool.

For $10.00 I think its a fair deal. This lives in my yoyo maintenance box.

Have Fun.

Reference Photo for size.

4 Likes

I love me some hubstacks, since I’m playing more responsive these days I thought I might try making my Legendary 888 responsive.

Lubed half spec bearing, 14mm axle and a Twisred Strings thick string. It sleeps well and with a tug it comes back solid. I used Yomega Brain lube and the spin time is still good.

5 Likes

I love when all you need to do is change the bearing with no mods or shims required. It makes these types of throws very capable but still returning with a tug. I just have a lot of fun with this kind of play especially when you find a yo-yo that plays well like this. :grin:

1 Like

@digitalcharlie asked me if I thought you could learn modern responsive freehand on an FH1. I said I thought so but it was just a little heavier than I liked. It got me thinking that I should try to set one up for it, so here is my capless FH1. I popped out the caps with a bike pump and masking tape, and I heavily lubed the stock bearing. It’s a very solid responsive freehand player like this. The weight is almost exactly where I want it.

3 Likes

That’s awesome. For me, tinkering is at least half of the fun. It’s great to see others find and extract the potential from their throws. Nice job. I don’t have a plastic but I have absolutely loved the FH1 AL. What bearing is in that FH1 of yours?

2 Likes

This is the stock flat A bearing and the standard spacers.

1 Like

Been awhile since anyone has posted here so let me say Happy New Year’s.

Back to the topic at hand, I was sitting relaxing thinking which yoyo I could make responsive. I first looked at a Koi but the post are too tall even with spacers. So no go.

I came across my Spyglass and found it had really short post, the axle was to long (8mm). I didn’t have anything shorter so out came the dremel. After a little measuring it looked like 7mm would work, and it did. No other mods needed.

It sleeps really well and the tug response is spot on with a snappy return. Not sure I’ll keep it that way but for now I like it.

6 Likes

I really love that this thread sparked some curiosity in others to try something they wouldn’t ordinarily have tried. It’s amazing how capable a throw like this can be and still come back with a tug. They can be tons of fun.

1 Like