How do you get your yo-yos to stay mint??

:smiley:

2 Likes

It never occurred to me that people would protect their yoyos so much. I guess it’s because while learning with them, I see yoyoing through the eyes of my kids. They take their throws everywhere with them. And yes the most expensive one is $50 but they’re little kids and they would be SO proud to have a $200 that went with them everywhere. They throw standing in line at Walmart, at the doctor’s office, in the parking lot while I take forever to get the little ones out of carseats, whilejumping on the trampoline, everywhere.

To each their own in terms of how they want to treat their yoyos but when I see my little kids full of life and joy and FUN, taking their yoyos everywhere because they can’t imagine not throwing everywhere, I wonder if some of the joy is gone if you’re fretting about dings. But hey, maybe not. We’re all noobs here in our family anyways so… what do I know? :slight_smile: To each their own.

1 Like

Everybody gets to do whatever they want with their yoyos, be it hyper-careful or reckless.

I wanted to answer an earlier question: “Why would you throw over concrete?” And my answer is pretty much like Kim’s except that I’m the kid. :wink:

It’s not to be cool, or to be a daredevil or something. It’s really about nothing at all except that the concrete happens to be where I’m yoyoing! I walk out the front door of where I work, heading towards McDonald’s to buy a coffee. I throw easy front-style tricks as I walk, including front plastic whip.

I’m not going out of my way to yoyo over concrete. It’s just that there’s concrete under my feet when I have the opportunity to yoyo!

Ditto when I’m out and about. I don’t always have a plastic with me, because I don’t always feel like throwing one of my plastics. And when I’m out and about I’ll throw wherever I happen to be. If I’m in a parking lot while my wife goes into a store to get some stuff (I might be on kid-watching duty as they’ve fallen asleep in their seats!) I might clamber out of my seat and throw yoyo for a few minutes.

I don’t ever think to myself, “Oh, man, there’s concrete under me.” I just think, “Cool! A few spare minutes in my day to yoyo!”

I can’t think of any reason in the world to not just yoyo whenever and wherever I have the chance.

1 Like

All of my yoyos are mint and I keep them in a wood and glass display case. Some of them are rare and they’ll never see the light of day.

Haters come at me. :wink:

I live in a 10 x 15 ft dorm room with 2 beds, 2 decks, 2 dressers, 2 shelving units, and a futon. There is a 4 x 4 ft patch of room that is open. When playing in that environment, you learn control, or you ding up everything.

Cheers,

This about sums it up:

Yuki

1 Like

don’t use it. It’s really the only way. throw carefully to keep it in good condition, but any yoyo that gets played is going to get dinged sometime.

Why you ask, why. I’ll tell you why. Because it’s fun. Why should you mourn for a yoyo that gets a ding because you are enjoying yourself? It has achieved its sole purpose, to be played with. To say a toy shouldn’t be played with is like saying you don’t go to school to learn.

basically, ya don’t.

I think can beat that. The room I live in at school is about 6ft wide. Half of that space is taken up by a bed so I have about three feet width of space to play in. Thankfully I have a little more space to the sides. Eli hops and high binds are a no-no though, the ceiling’s too low.

Why you ask, why. I’ll tell you why. Because it’s fun. Why should you mourn for a yoyo that gets a ding because you are enjoying yourself? It has achieved its sole purpose, to be played with. To say a toy shouldn’t be played with is like saying you don’t go to school to learn.
[/quote]
Do consider that some yoyos are bought for collection purposes. In this case I’d say only throw them I’ve carpet, or keep em on your case. If you buy a yoyo to play, prepare to ding it and love the battle scars it suffers at your hands.

1 Like

nice, when i get bored, i go infront of my futon, and 40 in tv, a 16 inch space, so no front style for me, i like the drama of dinging a throw or destroying a tv :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers,

I have a lot of high-end throws; they all get played here and there. I haven’t really dinged any terribly since I first started out. I throw over any surface and cut string above my belly button.

I think it has more to do with control than anything else.

I had no problem keeping my yoyos mint until I got married. Now they all seem to get dings from my ring.

Then this happens…

I’m glad I’m not a Yoyo sitting on a sill
Doing nothin’ all day long
‘cept a sittin’ still.
I would’nt grind, I would’nt spin
I would’nt even wash
I’d just sit there all day long
And rest myself bye gosh!