How do you get your yo-yos to stay mint??

I see what you did there…

Same

I don’t…

Why yes.

To be serious.

Play over grass or rugs, normally the wood in my house is forgiving so I don’t ding it.

But really? I have like one mint yoyo, and it’s a wooden fixed axle.

You don’t. I never have. I really don’t see much of a point in keeping yoyos mint other than to keep their trading value up.

Ok, first, I take off my belt, don’t wanna hit the yoyo on the belt clip :wink: Then, I look around for any objects I could hit, and move them aside, far away. Then, I take 20 of the softest rugs I can find and yoyo on top of them. I also change the string with each throw. No dings yet!

My string is always extra short, cut a few inches below my navel. My wing span is longer than my height, and long arms means I’ve had to learn to hold my throw hand up near my chest (to avoid contact with the floor). I try to play higher than what would be natural for me. I’m a fan of black string, so I change often as it is more difficult to gauge the wear on it. I also double wrap my string, and whether there is truth in the string being less likely to break, it has been working for me. Before those ideas came about, I hit the hardwood floor in my house a few times and the floor in my livingroom gave me a ding in a raw Omnicron X. I had the floors installed upstairs in my house, and whatever wood that is, I hit the floor once upstairs with an Entheos, but not a spec of damage. I still tend to boingy boing down low for leverage so I run a risk of hitting the floor dismounting from that trick. I have no carpet at home other than in my basement where the ceiling is too low to yo-yo in my opinion.

As JHB’ stated, the yo-yos I intend to keep mint are never thrown. I have a few cases of mains to beat up. Everything else, I’m just very careful with.

It amuses me how so many posters want to make it seem like a chore to make sure that your yoyos stay mint.

Why would you WANT to yoyo over concrete?

I mean seriously, what is the draw here? Is it cool? Is it daredevil? It IS obviously illogical - and people keep doing it - so there must be some element to this activity that I am missing…

I crave enlightenment. Why is it smart, or cool to throw over surfaces that will damage your yoyo?

3 Likes

i just don’t seem to hit the floor with my yoyo hasn’t happened since i was like a beginner

I will not ever understand this. If you only throw a yoyo over soft, padded surfaces you are a loser. Its a toy.
Do you think the best players in the world are worried about playing over concrete? Everyone needs to quit worrying about how ‘mint’ and ‘smooth’ their toys are.

Why? Though I don’t particularly care about the condition of my yoyos, they spent their money on it, they should be able to do whatever they so please with them.

Yeah, real men throw on concrete.

So, your rationale for this is that the best players in the world are not worried about it so why should I? Yo dude - they get their throws for free. No wonder they do not worry about dinging them. Moreover, they are the ones who HAVE to throw on concrete since that is where they generally have to do demos/contests for their company. I have no such requirements. Therefore, I choose to throw over surfaces that can’t hurt my yoyo.

Your insult - that somehow I am a loser for using my brain and throwing over such surfaces - is both unsupported and childish.

New yoyos stay mint for a few months. Then something happens. Ding. Then I just shrug and keep playing.

I don’t care where I throw. I used to freak out about dings, but unless I don’t like the yoyo and want to trade it, I’ll ding it to my hearts desire. Granted, I ain’t walking the dog over a really bad sidewalk with my new cascade, but for 1A I’ll throw anything over concrete. I’ve dropped a few mint yoyos over concrete playing 5A, and only sad about one of them(the docs cracked).

If you dont want to ding a yoyo dont play near hard surfaces. I dont mind dings on any of my yoyos, even my rates FHZ now has a nick in it and I don’t mind letting others it.

If any of you guys have watched the Duncan Viking tour, Steve Brown dropped a Freehand MG a bunch of times. That’s a $400 dollar magnesium yoyo. And magnesium dust can be explosive. Granted he didn’t pay $400 for all of his MGs, but still…

My yoyo’s have sentimental value, and if I plan on keeping them… then I try to do my best to keep them in pristine condition. I plan on having these things for my whole entire life, and would actually prefer if they’re not dinged up. Would be pretty cool to give my grandchildren a case of beautiful yoyo’s someday, not some case of crap they’ll throw away when they see it lol. Idk, most people don’t give a crap, but I really become attached to my yoyo’s, they’re beautiful.

I actually hit one of my favorite yoyo’s on my glass desk the other day, attempting to yoyo horizontally and dinged it on both halves of the yoyo… I knew before I even looked at it cuz that EVIL SMELL just hit my nose like .1 seconds after it happened. You know, that smell that indicates a little bit of the yoyo’s soul escaped. Yeah yeah, it’s still smooth, and it gives it “character”, but I went almost four years without damaging it… and I really wasn’t trying that hard to keep it super mint as it was my daily player. I used it over concrete sometimes also.

It generally isn’t that hard to yoyo without limiting yourself while also not being wreckless. Just don’t use ridiculously long string.

Funny story actually… I had a MINTY fresh yoyo, and one of my dogs apparently got ahold of it and used it as a chew toy all day. It was a very limited/mint modded FHZ.

if you want to keep it mint… keep away from hard stuff that could ding it. I mean there is still the of chance that it hits rivets on your jeans or w/e but for the most part it works. Personally my yoyos don’t stay mint for very long becuse I don’t usually take off my wedding ring to play, that’s just what I do. Dings don’t bother me and they don’t effect play (except when you get metal burrs hanging off then sometimes they’ll cut you but I digress) Do what you want, if you want to keep them mint so you can sell them, go for bad. If you just like mint yoyos, also cool. If you want to play your metals and not be worried that they’re in the same pocket as your keys and loose change then that’s cool too. Basically my rule of thumb is I play my stuff with respect but play other peoples’ yo’s with the utmost care

Theyre toys… You cant keep them mint if u play them

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ljag4g
|Y|O|R|E|D| @~~

If you only throw a yoyo over soft, padded surfaces you are a loser.
[/quote
Seriously? C’mon now, we dont need to make fun of people or make statements like that. Personally, i do throw over concrete, or wherever i want, but there’s no need to get upset at other people just because they choose not to.

1 Like

First of all, you shouldn’t care about what anyone else thinks about how you take care of your yoyo or how you play with them. As long as you are having fun, it doesn’t matter what everyone else thinks.

I take care of my favorite throws very well, my whole house is carpet so I never worry. I don’t normally throw anywhere else. I do go outside to throw if I am making a video or something (just got a go pro).

Its just like everything else you own or have. If you take care of your stuff, it will stay mint. It all depends on what you want to do and what makes you happy.

I don’t care about dings.