How can I replace the rims on a yo-yo?

So I removed the rims on my grasshopper gtx. I figured I could replace the rims of another yoyo. How would I do that/ is it even possible?

1 Like

I like the grasshopper not exactly sure why you took its rims. Overall I don’t think it’s a mod people do super often as the pay off often isn’t worth it. Can it be done. Sure anything can be done. Is it worth the effort probably not. Will it negatively impact performance of the yoyo. I honestly don’t know.

And don’t get me wrong I want a yoyo with replaceable rims. Cheap low grade ti rims that I could swap after sparking would be sick but that’s not something most yo-yos are built to do without impacting play.

2 Likes

How in the avocado you can remove rim?

Basically rim replacement should not be done ever because bimetal rim is pressed into yoyo unless you have a a pair of rim with identical weights and right size, hydraulic press and great machinery skill. Still this does not guarantee the performance like the one from factory

2 Likes

You are NOT supposed to do that.
Screenshot_407

15 Likes

I need to know this

I scratched the inside of the yoyo where the axels supposed to go (idk how it happened

Oopi

3 Likes

I did surgery

1 Like

I think it’s time to give yourself a new yoyo as an early Christmas gift. Because this process cannot be undone, even if it could, the yoyo gonna be vibey for sure.

But this one could be a innovation for manufacturers to brainstorm for rim replacement yoyos concept

1 Like

What was the initial reason for deciding to take the rims off? I saw u said something about scratching the inside, assuming ur talking about stripping the threading? Either way, why take off the rims? Had one of them already become loose or dislodged? Or?

1 Like

I was originally going to throw out the yoyo after trying the fix the inside many time, but I just kept it to see if i could use the parts

That’s fair if it’s already broken then modding with it is super cool. Sorry for the earlier criticism on my part modding and fixing broken stuff is cool

Dumpster diving can be cool :D.

1 Like

After murdering my grasshopper, i looked at my demonspeed and said, “hmmmm, maybe it can make it more “stable”, which then i looked into the past and saw how many other things i have broken.

2 Likes

Take the steel rims from the grasshopper and mod a FH1 to accept them.

6 Likes

Prob with a hand presser right

1 Like

You would use a lathe to cut the rim off the freehand to fit the diameter of the rings and then press fit.

2 Likes

Exactly what Sparhawk said.

I’m presuming you’re over 18, or at least old enough to handle power tools, but if you’re younger, definitely ask pops for some help.

If you have a Lathe. Here’s a video showing a recess mod, the concept is the same, but you would be shaving off some of the rim to fit the Grasshopper rims.

If you don’t have a lathe. A more “barbaric” way to do it, is to get a drill, mount it to something - I’ve seen people make rigs, or just simply mount it to their vices. Grab a screwdriver, or any sharp object, and use it to cut out the plastic.

To show you where the idea came from, and that it’s 100% possible. Chris Makita has been throwing on bimetal rims to his FH1s - though I’m not sure how well they play.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdw8rZoJUfH/?img_index=3

5 Likes

I wish I could help, but I’m no good with rim jobs.

1 Like