Homemade Yo-Yo Case Thread: D.I.Y. 40 Yo-Yo Case

;D Thanks. The Viszilla is really fun. I’m surprised how stable it is for how small it is and how it’s shaped.

Hoping to find something that will make perfect slightly smaller holes to try making a 4x5 for the other display. I can probably squeeze in 4x5 tomato paste holes but I don’t think undersized will look good in the bigger holes when I hang it and I think 20 medium/full sized will look cluttered.

Sort of regret not throwing my hat in the ring on the 1st run 28s Peak and the Chesterman Beach that were recently available on the BST but it is so hard for me to justify spending that much on a yoyo that I will throw a few times and put in a case forever but they look sooooo good imo. Plus this case as it stands now lacks the cohesion I’d like it to have aside from just having 12 CLYWs thrown in. I’m thinking maybe 3-4 columns/rows of specific yoyos since there are a number of Canvas/AC/Chief/Ava/Puffin colorways I wouln’t mind adding to the collection.

Here’s my creation

^ That is one sick case!! Totally worth the effort…classy. 8)

Soooo…any suggestions for cutting smaller holes to try making a 4x5 hole foam slab for the 2nd big wall display? I’ve been looking all over my house for old cookie cutters to see if I have any that look like they’d work.

Someone posted a shelf thing they picked up at Target that I thought looked really neat and let the entire yoyo be on display but I hate the idea of 1. dusting it, 2. yoyos potentially falling off so I’d prefer to stick with the foam in a closing case.

Hey. The target thing was mine. I’ve since moved them off of there and am displaying them a little different. I too was paranoid about them falling off. Especially with a three year old running around. I’ve also made some storage cases and used the regular gray foam. I didn’t like the bigger holes that the standard tomato paste can made. It was just a little too big for any of my 50 mm throws. But the can cuts great holes. So I made my own cutter. Using the tomato paste can I cut off both thick rims and cut it length wise. Then just super glued it back together smaller. More like a 1.75 inch hole. Just glue it and clamp it overnight. Hasn’t come apart yet. Oh and pay particular attention to making the seam as invisible as possible by lining it up as best you can. Once it is glued just cut in the direction of the seam so it doesn’t catch and you get perfect cuts each time. I also bent down the edge of the non cutting side. Gives it some rigidity and also lessens the chance I’ll cut myself. Those cans are sharp. Watch out while putting this together. go slow and use a couple sets of pliers to hold things and save your fingers. Oh and test the cut before you try it on your good case. Just in case there is a snag or something.

My cases are a in this thread. You can see the smaller holes that hold the 50mm throws very secure and because I used regular gray foam it has enough give to hold the bigger 56s and 57s with no problem. Good luck.

I’m approaching 55-60 yoyos and am looking for someone to be willing to build me a case or 2 :slight_smile: basically I’m hiring :slight_smile: .

Poker chip style cases thick foam must have are ally clean fit and finish and include mustaches hehe.

If this is you please get ahold of me and I’ll add photos of your work here and fully credit you for the build.

:slight_smile:

Took Peppercat’s suggestion except I just stapled the can together at both ends instead of super gluing it because I have absolutely no patience. It looks ok but I will probably be doing it again. I shaved a little bit too much off the can so the holes are smaller than I’d like (these tiny throws were all really tight fits) and would definitely just be smart and super glue the ends together since the stapling method ended up with mediocre cuts that got worse as the can warped which is how a handful of the holes are a tiny bit off. Probably won’t be a big deal when mounted and looked at from afar but I’m pretty obsessive and it drives me nuts.

Between this case, the one I have 12 CLYWs in and the little 5 hole case I made for my desk this has really helped me narrow down which yoyos I actually care about and which ones I ought to be able to part with.

Glad I could help and you got some smaller holes. Also, love that Team Edition Marmot you got there!

Nice looking case man!

My second Cigar Box case. This one is smaller just to hold my favorites. I also dyed the foam on this one so it looks a little nicer.

1 Like

^Cool!

Well Im Starting On a New Yoyo Case I Just Finished The Template For Where The Holes Should Go.

Its Looking Pretty Good So Far Ill Post Pics When Its Done Hopefuly Some Time Soon. Im gonna Have A pretty Busy Rest Of The Week But I should Have It Done Mid-Late Next Week

Created a Display case to hang on the wall. The front glass is on a hinge so I can get easy access to the throws.

Closed

Open

4 Likes

@thehandcoder:
That is beautiful. Very very nice. Any interest in making them for $$$?

Thanks. I have considered selling them, but not sure if people would be willing to pay the prices. Would probably need to sale them for $80-$85 to make them profitable.

Great Job That Case Looks Really Nice

I Finaly Got It Done! Yay!

So Here is My Newest Yoyo Case Made Out Of an Old Briefcase

The Brief Case Even Had a Cobination Lock So I Can Keep My Yoyos Safe

What Do You Think?

2 Likes

Looks PRETTY good. I’m not a fan of that kind of foam for cases (nor the colour) but it’s serving its purpose! With denser foam you can also space your yoyos closer together and fit more in! Looks like you have room for another row of 5. Still, it’s pretty good.

Thanks

Yea I Just Used The Foam We already Had

You can use rit dye to dye the foam. That’s what I do as it’s much easier to get green and cream colored foams locally, but I prefer the look of black.