Homemade Yo-Yo Case Thread: D.I.Y. 40 Yo-Yo Case

So I’ve made a new case today and wanted to share. It was very easy and cheap too. I found these gray Sterilite boxes at Target. Just regular plastic but the perfect size for 2 inch foam and 12 yoyos. I wouldn’t call these “display boxes,” but they are perfect for storing things safely away until you want them out. All together one box cost about 10 bucks to put together.

4 Likes

Awesome!

WOW… Someone likes Y Factors, Projects and P2’s… Love that One Drop there!!!

Yeah, I like the early One Drops the best. I have a soft spot for the P2. Along with the YYF Boss, it was my first metal… the red one. If I had known I was going to collect so much, I would have bought all the colors and versions when they were still available. I have a bunch of Yelets because they remind me so much of the M1 and early days.

only one Y-Factor in there. The purple, green, and orange are M1’s.

Oh wow!!! I just saw that!! Nice!! Good stuff for sure. Sick case too!!

1 Like

I’m making my own case from a metal briefcase thing I have, similar to the poker case TotalArtist used.

I will post pictures when i am done making it. (waiting for foam to arrive)

I made a case out of an old cigar box. Hadn’t heard of the tomato can method so I will have to give that a try.

1 Like

Sorry if the image quality is sub par. Took the picture with my phone. Found this Cordless drill case in the trash can at work. Decided to show it some love and re-purpose it. I’m not completely satisfied with the way it came out. But hey, this is my first attempt at making a case. I layered two 1" sheets of foam for the bottom just to see how it would work out. I should have just used a 2" piece instead. After cutting the holes in the 1" foam, putting it in the case disfigured my perfect circles (tomato paste can worked gloriously btw). Also, I know that the charcoal grey tends to be the preferred color for cases, but I’ve grown quite fond of the green. lol.

1 Like

That’s a great repurposing job there on the dewalt case and I’ve just now got am idea, thank you for sharing!

Since the mods decided my foam thread should be in “yoyo modification in maintenance” despite having nothing to do with modifying or maintaining a yoyo and everything to do with exhibiting/displaying them I’ll post my question in here since this is probably where I should’ve posted instead of starting my own thread anyway lol

Bought a couple wall cases at Aaron Brothers, looking to buy some foam on foambymail.com and was just curious what type of foam some of you other guys have purchased on there? Regular charcoal foam? Firm charcoal? Pick and pluck charcoal? Anyone using thin foam as a backer? Probably going to buy enough to make a couple wall cases then maybe just a storage case or two so want to make sure I get the right foam for the job.

1 Like

Regular charcoal foam was recommended to me. Pick and pluck seemed a little over the top for my liking. I have not yet purchase but hope to pull the foamy trigger soon.

1 Like

Regular it is! I’ll report back with results/pictures when it arrives and I set it up.

I’m sure if you chose firm by the way that would be fine too. Several people in the past have used firm, but I’m not sure it’ll really matter too much.

1 Like

If regular is too soft then I’ll order some firm for the wall cases and repurpose the regular for some regular cases (or for smaller wall cases in the future or something). Can’t believe how expensive the shipping was relative to the cost of the foam but I don’t see how I could possibly find a use for $75 of foam to get free shipping lol.

Thanks for the help, hopefully the cases will turn out how I hope. The ones I picked up were the brown version of the biggest one that jwz posted in the CLYW showoff thread with 12 Peaks in it. For as many yoyos as I own I will actually have a hard time filling the two cases with well coordinated groups of yoyos. Guess I’ll just have to buy some more…

Maybe we can do a group buy where if we get enough people buying it might worth the companies time to breakdown the orders and offer a small discount to us and have a shipping discount. This was how I’ve done bulk orders on other forum with major success.

That is something I would definitely be interested in if/when I need more foam in the future. I will never own enough yoyos at any given time to justify $75 worth of foam and a group order might motivate some people who would otherwise be too lazy to make a case to get in on the action.

Normally I’m the “too lazy” guy but I’ve come to the decision that I want to focus my collecting addiction on some specific stuff that I think has a great deal of visual appeal and value in yoyo history in general as well as in my own personal yoyo history (at this point Peaks/CLYW, 888s, FHZs, Playmaxx) and trimming the rest of my collection that I could live without seeing or playing down to the minimum. It seems really boring having a bunch of cool looking stuff hiding in cases in my closet so wall cases were the next logical step.

I would definitely be in on a group buy on foam if the re-mailing costs were reasonable.

@Oxymoron

That case looks really good. I can tell that you cut nice holes, and don’t sweat the disfigurement, because when it’s full, no one can tell anyway. You also spaced the holes perfectly, nice and even. I think you did a very neat and clean job of it. It looks like it will hold your throws and keep them safe so…mission accomplished, nice job.

Pretty pleased with my first effort at this. Terrible pic from my terrible phone and it’s just sitting on my couch since I just finished it but you get the idea. Holes got progressively smoother as I figured out the technique, the only “bad” one is the first one with the 28s Peak which was before I was smart and cut the fat edge off the can to make it sharp and slice right through. Doesn’t really matter since the yoyos cover up any hole cutting problems. Need to get some more CLYWs that I actually want to fit in here, there are quite a few placeholders that I’d rather see replaced with something with more visual appeal. I was pretty obsessive with measure/cutting stuff but it was extremely easy for a guy like me who can barely use a screwdriver or draw a stick figure when it comes to being handy or artsy.

I’d like to make the second case (same size) hold 4x5 undersized, what can I use to cut slightly smaller holes? The 2 Gnarwhals I have in this case already don’t fit super tight and I’ve tested 888s and they just sort of float in the holes and leave a small but visible gap that doesn’t look so great.

edit
This is fun, getting the hang of it. Had an extra 8"x20" piece of scrap from making the big case and I’ve had this little box sitting around for ages so figured I’d see what I could do with it. Box interior is 8"x5". First piece I cut I tried making 5 holes but they were getting cut too rough/pulling too much on the edges and I thought it would tear with the holes so close together so I flipped it over and cut only 2 holes that ended up ugly. Wasn’t satisfied with it so cut another 8x5 chunk from the scrap and put it in the freezer since I saw someone recommend that. After about 30 minutes I filled a cup with hot soapy water and grabbed the foam chunk from the freezer and was able to get these 5 holes in smoothly. I’m not really sure whether it was the freezer technique or the soapy water (I would guess the soapy water helped more) but I’m happy with the result. Holes are very clean, even the Viszilla and Dietz fit pretty snug.

Great looking case. And that viszilla looks great in it :wink: