Well, I set out to make myself a yo-yo case specifically for my YYE Editions. I have more than 21 of those throws, so I’ve outgrown my old case. I decided to use this poker chip case:
What I liked about it was the size, as it would be made to hold 40 throws, and the rounded corners, and it has the “feet” at the bottom to protect it when it is placed on tables. I also like that it has 5 locks, three in the front and one on each side. It came with two generic keys too. Looks pretty sturdy, so I went with that.
First, because it’s a poker case, I pulled out the bottom part, basically gutted the bottom half.
Then, I cut my foam. I tried that site foambymail.com that I’ve seen linked here before. PM me if you are interested in knowing my thoughts about their service. So, I proceeded to cut the foam and measure the piece by using the part I removed from the case. That seemed the easiest way. I just used a sharp knife to cut it.
After I cut the foam out, I decided to set up where the holes would be. I tried a few methods for creating a template for the holes. First, I tried using the foam from another case, but it did not work out. The method that worked best for me, was using little foam bits from another case. I just set them up where I would cut the holes and I used a needle to hold it in place.
Then, I used a tomato paste can (just empty it, wash it out thoroughly, and cut off the top ring) to cut the holes. Most of the holes were clean, and I was satisfied with the results. It was fairly easy too.
I decided to cut pieces of the foam that came from making the holes and put a bit of foam in the bottom of the holes so the throws are sitting on some foam too.
Overall, I’m happy with how the case came out. I wanted a neat looking case to hold my YoyoExpert Editions as my collection grows. I put in some similar color throws as place holders until I get some new ones. This process took me about one hour to complete.
Thanks for looking. If you have any specific questions about this process, feel free to PM.