Hi Folks - New Old guy with questions...

I’m glad u like the maverick. :slight_smile: I started on a yoyofactory one.

Yeah really… “beginner”. I skipped both of those until this last weekend. 4 months later and I’m still learning “beginner” tricks. The secret was to make sure the yoyo was spinning slower.

buy magic yoyo they are like 15 bucks on amazon and full metal and are great beginners yoyo

also they are good yoyos for pros so it will take you far

I started of with yomega heavy wing , from toys r us . threw it for over a month . really good for learning basics , trapeze , brain twister , and so on . I found it very hard to get string without the internet tho . yo will need sting , lots of string .

Sweet another old dude! Yay us old throwers! :wink:

The Maverick is a good place to start, Still throw mine from time to time… I had to upgrade to a DMII and have not looked back, I have two, one set up responsive and the other non! For me it’s nice to work on tricks with a responsive and when I get it down switch it up. Keeps me on my toes. Me and my boy spend time together throwing. It’s a blast for both of us. Mom’s not a huge fan, but it’s growing on her as we improve and get better. I have even gotten her to join us a few times! You came to the right place. Some really good people here. And when your ready for the next level of yo yo make sure you check out the BST area, some good deals to be found.

Try (If you haven’t already) learning the tricks here on YoyoExpert. I started here and made my way up. Then when you get everything down you can explore other sites for new and cool tricks! Hope this helped. If you have anymore questions I’ll be glad to answer them for you. God Bless - Moefv

If you are buying from Toys r Us only, and you dont really want to buy online, get a Velocity. If you can buy online, get a yoyofactory ONE. They are great for when you are starting out and both can be made unresponsive easily. Velocity just has the dials, just turn and boom, unresponsive. The ONE has 2 bearings, responsive and unresponsive. Both are great for beginner, I highly recommend.

I suggest a yoyojam Classic. It’s responsive so it’s easy to learn to get your throw down right. If you get a normal c sized bearing with it, it can take you as far as you possibly can with unresponsive. I’ve found that to get better, it’s the yoyoer, not the yoyo (although the butterfly won’t get you that far).

Hey Escher; I’m Tom. I’m 53 years old, and I have a bona-fide plastic yoyo problem. I’ve got a Maverick, and I like it just fine. I also have a Metal Drifter set up unresponsive, and I like it too. All this talk about the YoyoJam Classic has convinced me I need one. (I think that will be yoyo # 55) When I get the “eye-roll” from the wife, I just remind her that I’d rather be collecting bass guitars and motorcycles!

I don’t think purchasing at Toy’s R Us is a great idea. They have a very limited stock and people only trust Duncan since that’s the only brand the majority of the population knows. So they’re forced to only sell Duncans. Don’t get me wrong;Duncan is a great brand. There are many other notable brands, however, and you shouldn’t limit yourself to Duncan. Buy from this website or others, but this is the most popular yoyo store to my knowledge. I recommend you take the YYJ Classic or Duncan Flipside into serious consideration. Both are great transitional yoyos from beginning to even master Yoyoexpert tricks. If you aren’t already, YoyoExpert has some great learning videos. So please, don’t limit yourself to actual stores; internet stores have a much better variety.

Ohh dont worry… I’ll be buying online - tomorrow probably… since I now need some string!

String broke on the butterfly today as I was showing my 3yo boy… He wants a yo yo now so I gave him the duncan since its so cheap - he cant throw yet but its cute anyways to watch him…

I have thrown the maverick two days straight now until my arm is sore… :slight_smile:

I have my forward throw pretty solid… Working on my side throw and the “breakaway / trapeze”… not easy at all… but I can do teh breakaway, albeit sloppily, about 50-75% of the tries now… I can land on the string about 1 in 10 tries…

I can tell this is going to take a lot of practice… but thats cool - I need something better than watching the tube to keep me busy in the evening.

I’m really liking the maverick… and I’ll probably pick up some others in the next week or so… just to see what different ones are like.

I really want to get the breakaway and forward mount down so I can do binds and try an unresponsive… Still thinking the DM2 is next… but there are so many that appeal to me…

I was looking at the 3yo3 volume - for some reason that really appeals to me… And some of the clyw throws are just awesome looking… but I know i’m getting way ahead of myself there…

What can you guys tell me about string? The string on my Maverick is already starting to get fuzzy and I’m a bit worried it may break…

whats the difference between poly and cotton?

For now, just get YoYoExpert 100% poly string. It will last longer than cotton and is what you’re looking for.

Just pick a color you like and order a 100-count. That should last you a while. I got like 4-5 unopened bags of it. Why? Always good to have plenty!

When you get into yoyo (as in like we do here on this forum) cotton is practically non existent. (Other than for 2A.) poly is much more ridged and lasts a lot longer than cottons also, since it is a bit tougher, it holds string tension better when doing slack and whips (that’s a long ways away for you). It’s a huge different you’ll be able to tell immediately. Once you get more advanced you might even try nylon.

Or for modern fixed-axle play. Or for ‘traditional’ responsive play in general! (UFOs, Sidewinders, and Rock the Babies, Oh My!)

But yeah, you’re probably going to be psyched on modern string tricks on a bearing yoyo for the next while… any bulk poly (I like Kitty and CandyWires better than YYE, but the YYE stuff is good, too) will do.

While you’re waiting for an order, you can PROBABLY find some cotton (or even “Slick 6”) strings by Yomega or Duncan at your local toy store.

Honestly the Maverick rocks. When I was getting back into this hobby 5 or so years ago I also went with the Maverick. Good call!!

Hey there Escher. 49 soon to be 50 here. There are a few of us older folks around. :slight_smile:

A tip I can give you here is the closer the yo-yo is to your non throw hand finger when you try to catch the man on the flying trapeze the better. Just catch it very near your finger and kind of slowly bring your hands together and let the yo-yo work its way down to the center.

Also, standing with your back to a wall will help to straighten out your breakaway.

The new surge in wooden fixed axles has increase the need for quality cotton string. I just bought a 100-count of Type 10 100% cotton for my fixed axle TMBR yoyos. You need cotton for those because the wood will quite literally melt the polyester fibers.

Really, unless you’re into WOOD fixed axles, 100% poly is fine. I prefer Slick6(50% cotton, 50% polyester) is what I mostly use in my loopers. Everything else is 100% poly via various brands.

I would go with standard kitty string, but eventually you could experiment with more “luxurious” types of string.