Here's what a high end yo-yo collection looked like.. in 2001

This came up on eBay and I thought it was a striking example of what a complete “high end” yo-yo collection would have looked like in the year 2001:

Details

yoyo-lot-1 yoyo-lot-2 yoyo-lot-3 yoyo-lot-4 yoyo-lot-5 yoyo-lot-6 yoyo-lot-7

This is quite an impressive collection… for its time. Look how far we’ve come in 18 years!

34 Likes

@AndreBoulay and @yoyodoc are fully represented in the above, note row 1, columns 2 and 3. Dark Magic and Mini-Mo-Trix. :wink:

Also classics I recognize even though I did zero yo-yo in that timeframe:

• Cold Fusion
  • Axl / Axlerator / Chain Reactor
  • Metallic Missile
  • Samurai
  • early Dif-e-Yos
  • SB-2

I’m not entirely sure what the blue one is with the brass ring, though?

(No, I’m not bidding on this collection for the record … but if you collect from this era, my gut says it might be worth a look. :eyes: )

8 Likes

Nice collection! Some yo-yos I see on the list were released after 2001 I think but still nice.

I guess no 'gades, Tigersharks, Bee GTs, SpinFaktors or FHs made it passed the modding stages :joy:

Also that Mini Motrix has always had my attention… I placed 2nd at MER in 2002, and I was most bummed because the winner got a custom Mo hybrid yo-yo, either a FH with metal rings or even a custom delrin with metal rings. I don’t even think I’d be able to find a photo of it online. That is what stung the most lol

6 Likes

Wowza.

2 Likes

The only throw there that really sucks is that metallic missile.

6 Likes

Looks like (what we would today call) slimlines were all the rage back then!

4 Likes

Blue with brass ring is the 1998 HSpin Handquake, the jewel in that lot as far as I’m concerned!

9 Likes

Oh man I remember REALLY wanting that Samurai so bad back then and just not having the money, then a little while after discovered YYJ and by then had a little money and went on a impulse buy frenzy, and it hasn’t changed since, when it comes to throws I buy a little more impulsively than with other things haha.

8 Likes

I like that Dark Magic.

6 Likes

That FHZ dude

4 Likes

Hate to say this but I own six of those counting the FHZ.

8 Likes

I think it’s a freehand, not a zero. Super cool though.

4 Likes

Some fun throws in there. A few “meh” ones too. But even most of those have some collector coolness.

The minimo yo-yos were always undervalued in my book. Tons of fun. I may have to dig mine out again.

3 Likes

Very cool listing. That DM is still legit in 2019. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Not really zslane…it was just not “wider” than the HM and the Lynn Fury’s were after 2001…more like 2004-5…so yeah! Most throws at that time were much slimmer…except for that renegade “Steve Brown” with his “wide” Duncan’s of the day!

3 Likes

Even that Handquake was futuristic… it was extremely thin…like the great “Silver Bullet” by Mr. Kuhn! (SB) which is a big collector’s item…
Heck guys…I still have some of them…in my pre-2000 collection!
Especially the Metallic Missile and its box too!

5 Likes

Definitely a great collection for its time. Those Dif-E-Yos were true performers for their time when they came out!

The Dark Magic is cool too - ‘original’ cap artwork before we switched to a stamped cap. :blush:

6 Likes

I really can’t get over how different a high end yo-yo collection would look today compared to this!

Also per above comments, this is more likely 2003 or possibly even later? So really “only” about 15 years ago?

3 Likes

Own yoyo bias, I see… :wink:

4 Likes

That H-Spin Handquake is a real find. Mostly because of it’s experimental design, though it would be hard to find replacement friction discs for it.

Too bad that Axl isn’t the ultra-light Axl butterfly. I love that yo-yo.

That Axlerator was another bold experiment. It’s a metal looping yo-yo that actually played fantastic… but was too scary to actually use.

I’m cracking up at that RD. Back when we thought simply putting blue rubber bands around the edge of a yo-yo was a good way to add rim weight. Literally, this thing shipped with two rubber bands.

7 Likes