Best Yoyos of the 1990s

I saw a post tonight with a bunch of old yoyos from the 90s and it got me curious. During the late 1990s what was the best yoyo you could get? Up until I started yoyoing again I had no clue some yoyos had bearings in them back then. From the looks of it the Yomega Hyper Warp looks like it may of played decent. I was never familiar with it, was it more expensive than the fireball/firestorm? I figured some of you guys might know about this stuff.

5 Likes

I was born in 87. Briefly was into throwing in grade 6-7.

I mad a metallic missile!. That thing was sweet.

Got out of throwing for a year or so, then got back into it and had a cold fushion and cold fushion GT, and a tom kuhn sb2 - sexy throw.

I could never do tricks well, and not having a butterfly shape was tough.

Buy my picks

Yomega metallic missile
SB2
Cold fusion GT

4 Likes

Dang I never heard of the metallic missile til now. That thing looks nice and super expensive for its time.

1 Like

Yea! I had a Metallic Missile and a SB2 back in the late 90s early 2000s. (still got them).

They used to sell a cold fusion watch! I had one of those. :rofl:

Also, the Custom MAG yoyo’s were pretty cool back then…

6 Likes

I have never played a Cold Fusion (GT), so my vote is SB-2. Leagues ahead of its time.

6 Likes

I could only fantasize owning those high end throws of the 90s so my bread and butter was my Yomega Raider and my Saber Wing Fireball when I would swap the bearing into that.

What I wanted in the 90s - the Cold Fusion GT. If YYF’s Confusion plays any way similar to how the og Cold Fusion GT played, I can see why it was the rage then. Shape wise both are nearly identical.

What I could had in the 90s but opted to spend my allowance on magic cards instead, could have had the Bumble Bee GT but my interest was becoming too wane. The local card shop at the time was selling yoyos. Made up for it many years later with buying a Dragon Fly.

5 Likes

I used the saber wing the most back then. It surprised me these days I liked that more because I feel like the firestorm is actually kind of better now. It seems to have a little more weight, which gives it more spin time. I remember there were better, more expensive yoyos back then, but I couldn’t remember exactly what. It’s cool to hear about the ones everyone mentioned above, they look really cool. Now I want to try them all out hah.

5 Likes

Check out this yoyo Apple had made by Yomega I just came across. These things are worth a lot these days, apparently close to $500. Cool to see both brands mixed together.

6 Likes

SuperYo Renegade

Team Losi Cherry Bomb

Spintastics Tigershark (beefcaked)

Tom Kuhn Sleep Machine

Playmaxx Turbo Bumble bee / Butter Bee (still a beast!)

YoYo Jam: Spinmaster, Super Spinfaktor, Dragonfly, Spinfaktor, dragonJam, Mad Scientist, etc. there were a ton.

Duncan Freehand, Avenger (modded)

Henry’s Viper, Cobra, Lizard (with the bearing axle setup)

Yomega Raider, Hyperwarp (it was so heavy but fun!), Wingforce (modded, it stank stock), RBII, Firestorm (modded), Saber Raider

There are so many more I could list but these are pretty much what I remember being the hottest things to pick up (that hasn’t already been mentioned like the SBII, Cold fusion, Samurai etc). Back in the day metals were excess of $100 - $200 so it was like SUPER premium and hard to get a hold of. We had to order through mail, over the phone and through catalogs! LOL! Online stores were just starting up at this time too so you could also order online but it wasn’t like it is today. There were some killer yoyos at the time though! Lot’s of innovation. A couple years later, like 2000 - 2002 things were popping even more. A ton of YYJ stuff became super popular and Duncan was going full steam. It truly was a great time to be yoyoing!

8 Likes

I had a Yomega Fireball that was my absolute jam. I remember having sleeper contests, trying to walk the dog up each other’s pants legs. And Man, Jessica M didn’t know up from down her when I showed her my 45 second rock the baby routine. Good days, good days

6 Likes

Sleeper contests were the rage in the playground way back when. Though it was kind of cheating when everyone else had their Duncan fixies and I’d whip out my Yomega Brain.

We also used to do “dog fights” by having 2 of us walk the dog head on. Think Beyblade but it’s yoyos running into each other. Whoever had their yoyo spin out or return prematurely lost. Fun times…

6 Likes

We never did the dog fights but that sounds like so much fun.

We would do around the world and try to get it right in front of each other’s noses, as close as possible and if you winced you lost lol

I had a Came-yo Mondial at one point.
Those had a click adjustable gap (sounds cool but was kinda annoying if you had to take it apart)

The specs also included:
“Patent-pending injection system let you lubricate the bearing without taking the yo-yo apart.”
“Reservoir held enough lube for you to play all day.”

All sounds cool, but…I just remember the Yomega “Brain Lube” coating the string and making a big mess) :laughing:

I did really like that yoyo though :grin:…Should probably look into getting another :thinking:

1 Like

Yea! I had all those Yomega’s. Saber Raiders were my go to for a while. Then I got the yoyojam super spinfaktor when it came out and it instantly became my main. Still got that one somewhere, Great yoyo!

1 Like

7 Likes

spintastics tiger shark, yomega saber raider, proyo turbo bumblebee and gt. Precision Aluminum yoyos like cold fusions, axle elites, sb2 were unobtanium from my perspective, i could not afford them and I couldn’t ask anyone to spend that much on what is essentially a toy.

1 Like

When I started yoyoing again back around last November I was surprised how much Yomega had fallen off. I initially went on Amazon looking to find their new yoyos but quickly found out that there were much better yoyos around now. It’s weird they don’t seem to be trying to make stuff that keeps up with todays standards.

The shape and size of the new Maverick look appealing but I haven’t heard many good things about it.

3 Likes

I actually really like the maverick, and groov, best yomegas you can get recently if you’re interested in semi responsive and unresponsive organics from yomega. Not sure why they get no love other than most players have been spoiled with whats available now. In 99, these would be top of the heap if they existed in my opinion.

2 Likes

Best for what? Some of my faves

9 Likes

Same here! They where at the top of the game. I remember going from Duncan Imperials/Butterflys to the Brain>fireball>Raider :exploding_head:

Could never have imagined this future of yoyo’s.
I’m really enjoying trying all these new shapes and designs! :grin:

3 Likes