Help me choose a first yoyo for my niece

Hi All, my niece is interested in yoyo lessons from me. It’s almost her birthday. I figured it would be great to start her with a yoyo. Recommendations from YYE’s store appreciated.

To help, I was thinking that something like a Duncan Butterfly XT would be perfect… however, despite its playability and nice responsive action, that yoyo really hurts when rocketing back into your hand. Hard plastic and sharp plastic molding seams. Ugh! It would be the first and last yoyo my little niece would get.

Any other ideas?

6 Likes

YYF whip is another good option and pretty cheap!

8 Likes

How old is your niece?

I would tend to agree with the suggestion that the Whip would be an excellent choice.

It’s a very well thought out yo-yo. It has a great user-friendly shape. It’s very stable considering it doesn’t have maximized rim weight. It has a good clean running bearing. It’s available in various colors. It has a good comfortable feel and it throws down easy.
And if it comes back fast as smacks you somewhere you don’t have to make any funeral arrangements. It’s very economical no doubt.

Yohans and Ben and the rest of the yo-yo factory demonstrators do not hesitate to put the Whip yo-yo in the hands of just about any beginning yo-yo player. It is an integral part of their yo-yo teaching equation.

The Whip yo-yo did just not appear as an economical toy for Christmas stockings. The yo-yo was developed after years and years of experience in teaching or attempting to teach kids of all ages from all over the planet yo-yo tricks.

The yo-yo trick learning curve obviously varies from individual to individual. Fortunately from years of teaching a multitude of individuals in a multitude of settings, yo-yo factory has evolved the design elements for optimal performance functionality at a very economical price.

The Whip yo-yo is not just a toy on a placard at an end Cap in your local store. The Whip yo-yo is a very functional tool in the hands of the rank beginner and that’s why they’ve been selling thousands of them since the inception of that particular yo-yo.

My apologies that that sounded like a commercial. I guess in a way it is? There are other yo-yos from other manufacturers no doubt. But the Whip is such a good yo-yo especially for the price and the purpose that you just can’t go wrong with it. You buy somebody $100 yo-yo to try to teach her how to do rock the baby and in 10 minutes they give up and start playing with Legos, there goes your money.

Better to just Whip it and have enough money left to buy pizza for the entire family🤓

12 Likes

Id say this is the most important question.

I know that this is unconventional, but has anybody thought of recommending a looper as a 1st learner yoyo? Ive been practicing with some Loop 720s lately, and doing so made me feel like a beginner once again (left hand). Learning the basic throw, sleeper, forward pass, around the world, etc felt really natural (the transfer of muscle memory is an amazing thing), and I thought it would be much more difficult on any other kind of yoyo. The response of a looping yoyo is very tight, but it does have a bearing and is forgiving with the right technique. It is absolutely perfect for learning to throw up and down and learning how to throw a good sleeper. Plus, looping yoyos are cheap, so it isn’t a big investment of anything.

5 Likes

The problem with loopers is for a complete beginner just trying to learn to throw, their throw isn’t going to be remotely straight, and loopers will spin off axis too quickly. I think a Whip setup responsive would be better, as they’d have a second or two to give it a tug before it loses control.

I plan to buy my daughter a Whip. I tried with loopers and both my wife and daughter couldn’t throw it straight enough to even have a chance to get it to return. I bought my daughter a Fizz, and she could throw that better, but it’s response isn’t terribly reliable.

3 Likes

If you ever need a new career, you could do worse than writing commercials :slight_smile:

1 Like

She’s turning 3.

Great suggestions on the YYF Whip. I had one before and they are indeed comfy.

A looper or something like that is also a good suggestion.

2 Likes

Now I’m even thinking that a Whip + a looper could be the ticket.

4 Likes

Started my daughters on a first base. Way better option that a whip imo.

4 Likes

WARNING: the following post was not intended for the reading impaired or those particular individuals that don’t care And/or wanna whine no matter what I say…

Obviously, regardless of age, there can be a considerable variation in an individual’s hand size. Sometimes on the surface, certain specifications just kind of go under the radar without giving them a second thought.

One of the key design elements engineered into the whip was the actual size. To some people they would just say well of course is the size it is because it’s the size it is. I mean come on, it Has to be some size they have to decide on something so boom there it is it’s that size.

But dig a little bit deeper and a few things become apparent. The yo-yo is not too wide. The yo-yo is not too narrow. The yo-yo is neither too small or too large in diameter. That was arrived at for specific intent as follows>

Yo-yo factory arrived at the specifications for the whip yo-yo to optimize the ergonomics without sacrificing performance.

They knew they be dealing with a variety of hand sizes. They had to arrive at a size that would fill a hand in general without being so small it got lost in the hand or being so large that a person could not close their hand around it. If a yo-yo is too small in diameter it kind of gets lost in hand. If a yo-yo it’s too big in diameter and or with then you feel like you’re grabbing something that’s just too big to comfortably hold. When you go either too large or too small that can have a detrimental effect on learning to properly stroke and let the yo-yo roll off the hand on the throwdown. Throwing a grape down or throwing a watermelon down it’s going to give you two different feelings. So they arrived at a happy medium after extensive research on size and shape.

The whip yo-yo is not just a basic yo-yo. It is a yo-yo that was designed for optimal ergonomics and functionality based on extensive research in the field. Think of it this way. Yohans and Ben could’ve arrived at any specifications made a bunch of them and said this is a yo-yo for beginners. But they didn’t do that. quite the contrary. They did their homework on a worldwide platform. Based on years of research. Based on years of personally throwing yo-yos all over the planet. Based on a few decades of teaching kids with various yo-yos and seeing what worked and what didn’t work. There’s an old saying that there’s no substitute for experience. There’s also an old saying that everything you learn comes to serve you well. Yohans And then with the additional feedback the multitude of players from all over the World testing Proto‘s of the various models. When the smoke cleared the whip was finalized as a very efficient and cost-effective yo-yo trick learning tool.

For many many years now and the various things that I’ve taught people outside of Ewing of course. For example, I spent a few decades teaching people how to paint custom cars and custom motorcycles. I could tell them stories for hours I could tell them what I did for months. But my favorite thing was to just tell them, ‘I Can show you better than I can tell you’. Let’s get in the paint booth and you can see how it’s done. Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words. And more often than not a few decades of experience in playing with yo-yos and teaching kids how to learn tricks has gone along way to give a very comprehensive amount of input information to allow yo-yo factory to decide what an excellent beginning yo-yo is.

I think the suggestion of a loop in yo-yo is a very good one indeed. I like the idea that was a loop in yo-yo like a 720 you can adjust the response. And a 720 throws down easy. It would be an excellent learning tool for somebody that wants to practice their stroke which is an integral part of the beginning of any trick. If you don’t have a good throwdown you’re kind of suck before you find out that you kind of suck when you think of it. You got to get that throwdown wired because that’s the first step in anything you’re gonna do after that. And I think it’s 720 is really excellent for something like that. But technically when you do run into smaller hand sizes the 720 or other loop in yours have a tendency to be larger in diameter than the standard loop in yo-yo. And sometimes with the smaller individual hands that may have a negative affect by filling to him too much and making the throwdown a little harder to dial-in. Of course that’s just my personal opinion.

Before I beat the horse completely dead and I start going around in circles like I’ve done occasionally here and there over the years. The bottom line is the whip is just not something they came up with. The yo-yo was finalized only after a whole Lotta research in the field decisions were made on the specs and here you got a yo-yo the cost around six bucks or so and will fit the bill for most beginners and that’s about it.

6 Likes

Well, damn, looks like most loopers are on the large size (58+mm diameter), but a Fireball is really only ~1.5mm larger than the Whip.

I guess hand size can be a factor, but now that im seeing that the niece is 3, isn’t any yoyo going to feel like a watermelon? Most young kids just drop the thing and try to make it come back to the hand.

Nevertheless, ive never played with a Whip. Honestly, the description of it from the YYE website confuses me. It is in the category of unresponsive, but has a responsive slim bearing. Is it semi-responsive?

3 Likes

I agree with the useabilty of the Whip. I usually take several with me when we have yoyo meet up so that passersby can use them. Just right for any handsome and durable as hell. I swear I saw a D.Kowalski review where he throws it in a blender and it’s still playable.

I can testify to its versatility. Every thing @yoyodoc said is on point. As always😎

3 Likes

I bought a yo-yo for a friend’s daughter who is into yoyos because of seeing me yoyo.
She’s four, full of spirit and able to do yoyo. I bought a small wooden fixie off eBay. She cant throw sleepers yet and just loves showing me the up and down trick :rofl: she also drags it on the floor saying she’s walking the dog so I was happy I didn’t spend over 2.99
Bought two more later for my nephew’s too.
Fixies are worth a thought :+1:

4 Likes

My issue with the whip is the response pads stick way out into the gap. Yes this does make for a snappy response, but limits capability and leads to bruised knuckles. I’ve tried removing one pad and adding some thick lube to the bearing, but then the response is not as consistent as I would like. It does feel nice in the hand, and fits in a child’s hand well though.

4 Likes

This. :point_up:

I tried learning 5a with one.
Mistake.

1 Like

Thanks everybody, based on your input I went with a DV888!

:wink:

Jk, I got a Whip and a Loop 360 for my niece. Two yoyos is good because dad will be able to join in to help her practice and stay motivated.

7 Likes

Don’t joke like that! I was really upset until I realized you were joking!

3 Likes

Thanks everybody, based on your input I went with a DV888
:rofl:

I love the 360, easy and capable. Great choices dude.:wave::+1:

3 Likes

While your choices are fine, for thread posterity I think the Spinstar (or one of the Play variants) is an ideal beginner yo-yo. Easy to use, no maintenance, no parts to lose.

4 Likes
6 Likes