help getting my maverick unresponsive

What I did was fill the chamber with silicone and even out its distribution, then sink the spacer in and re-silicone with the spacer in til flush. If any get inside the spacer I use a q-tip to delicately remove it but by now Im good enough to keep it from the spacer. Then use a straight-edge protractor to slide the excess off. It may be in your best interest to recess the silicone a bit.

~M

1 Like

Wow I think I could be the presedent of the ā€œMy silicone job is not as good as Miā€™sā€ club. Though if I may say one thing it looks like the one side didnā€™t quite settle before you put the yoyo back together.(It looks like there are ripples in the one half.

Any who I guess Iā€™ll Show off my second place work
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx2/Buddyjim/2010-08-24194737.jpghttp://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx2/Buddyjim/2010-08-24194745.jpg

Uhh wow sorry about the size difference there.

Thats fine. Any time my silicone dries and cures co-centrically all it does is help the response selectively recess anyways and it seems to work just as well as a co-centric satin :wink:

I have some more pictures of my silicone jobs. I try to make it as neat as I can, Ive recently gotten very very speedy with it, so I suppose being OCD when I was learning helped me do it properly every time. I REALLY like the clear silicone though, because for plastics it seems to cure this yellowy color, like lobster sauceā€¦ and for metals it seems to cure that beautiful transparent color you see in the picture above.

Anyways the co-centric lines are pretty much invited. Any time that happens I thank my silicone tube. It works very nice as response, and looks nice to boot.

Thereā€™s a problem. I worked in a paint store, so I have more knowledge of solvents than the average bear. Although mineral spirits will break down a good bit of grime in your bearing, itā€™s also likely to leave a good bit of residue behind. Try rubbing alcohol and blow off the excess with an air duster. andā€¦skip the lube. If you donā€™t like it better Iā€™d be surprised.

In the meantime, start saving your change and step up to a more advanced yoyo. if youā€™re learning whips, you deserve one that wonā€™t pop you in the knuckles.

Nothing is wrong with mineral spirits.

Isopropyl is still less viscous and leaves less of itself behind to slow down your bearing. If you prefer mineral spirits, I suggest using Odorless Mineral Spirits. Itā€™s more refined and better than the regular mineral spirits.

I use Isopropyl and Iā€™m pleased.

Only problem with rubbing alchohol in the bearing is that instead of a little residue that eventually plays out you get rust which only leads to grumpy face >:( . Trust me I have used the alchohol luckily it was just a renegade. SoI didnā€™t have to many sleepless nights

He knows more than you do about this stuff. If itā€™s worked well for him, itā€™ll work well for you if you do what he just said. Make sure to blow it out after you clean it.

The problem w/isopropyl/rubbing alcohol is that it contains water (which causes rust). You need to be sure you blow it out completely dry, followed by a lite lube.

Well blow it out quick cause it was like blink and RUST. + be thourough on the getting the alchohol out of there.

hrmmmā€¦ I havenā€™t had a problem with rust. All my bearings are free of oxidation.

BUTā€¦I did some quick research and found that Isopropyl CAN lead to rust. If you were to leave then in alcohol at room temperature and allow it to evaporate, youā€™ll have a problem with that. Maybe even more so than water.

SOā€¦ if you use Isopropylā€¦ Do it as I described. Just a few minutes and then blow off any excess with a good blast of air.

Also keep in mind that I run my bearings dry. This has worked for me with no Grumpy Face.

Whatever you do, I hope you figure out what works for you.

My experience is that a bit of lube works better. Most dry bearings play rough IMO. A bit of lube, even a very small amount smooths them out immensely. Also, bearings are mechanical contraptions subject to wear. Lube keeps them from wearing faster, and also prevents lockups that dry bearings tend to experience. But youā€™re happy w/them so rock your socks off. :wink:

Actuallyā€¦I had wanted to try some thin lube, but it never seems to be in stock when Iā€™m wanting to try it. LOL. I lost interest and just started keeping them clean. so, when they do eventually wear out Iā€™ll pick up some new ones.

You donā€™t need thin lube. Just get sewing machine lube. Got it for 2 bucks with no shipping, and it works awesome.

3-In-One Household oil?

Yes.

I run my bearings dry though.

That will work.

Whatever you call it I just picked some up at Wal Mart next to the Sewing Machines.

What I did was took out the spacer and ground that little lip off that prevents the use of a regular size C bearing and then sanded it smooth. Then I made custom shims and put them under the spacer and it actually works with not to much vibe.

You didnā€™t mention anything about getting a new axle. Is it just my model that will not accept shims? Maybe I should find a new axle for it.