help getting my maverick unresponsive

This worked for me, just put a angel hair on it.

What Apetrunk said cleared it all up.
Thanks Ape.

okay i will try just putting a little bit of lube on it like u siad. and thankyou for the help

but the thing is its easyer to learn whips and such with a unreasponsive yo yo. Who here learned plastic whip with a yomega raider?

Indeed. I never said it was easier to do with responsive yoyos either, just not impossible like many people think.

I wonder if itā€™s possible to do a slack trapeze with a cheap fixed axle yoyoā€¦ gets knocked unconscious

But yeah, I agree, although you canā€™t say(and iā€™m not saying you did) that you can easily learn to do whips on responsive yoyos.

i know its possible i do plastic whip with my friends maverick all the time (which is mostly why i was interested in this post) you focus on not letting string in the gap, but that is impossible to learn with a responsive yoyo. Thats all.

Just a quick thought. To the recomendation to buy a YYF bearing I think yomega uses a bearing that only they stock. Isnā€™t just smaller than a C bearing. Also I siliā€™d shimmed, and cleaned the bearing on my dash, and I like it better than some of my more expensive throws.

This is true. Yomega uses an ABEC 5 bearing (size SMR126ZZA5).

Haha, but yeah.

Not impossible, but yes, rather difficult.

I throw a maverick currently and itā€™s very very unresponsive. Iā€™ll tell you what I did. I cleaned the bearing, I tried thin lube on the bearing. Heck I even tried to take out one side of the response system (which doesnā€™t work because the spacer actually floats on the rubber gasket underneath.

The ONLY thing that will work to get your maverick totally unresponsive is to play it to death and wear the rubber response down. Mine is worn down so far that it sits below the rim of the spacer and it plays really well for such a cheap metal.

The issue with this is now its starting to become so unresponsive that I sometimes have to double or triple bind it to come back. The response system is basically a shaped blue eraser made so the ONLY way to replace it is by ordering another one from Yomega. They effectively made it so you canā€™t customize it in any fashion outside of the options they sell you. You canā€™t sili it, you canā€™t throw any pads in or on it, and you canā€™t increase the gap other than the options they give you in the packaging.

I suppose if you machined a plastic or metal insert to mimick the floating response pad set up with a deep enough gap around the spacer and then glued the spacer to the new insert to seal it- THEN you could put flow sili in it.

But seriously who would spend that much effort for a throw that cost $30?

Just wear the response down by playing hard and fast with it and with time it will become a great playable throw. Until it goes too far and it becomes a hassle. Then you can either replace the response through Yomega and start the process all over again, or retire it next to your old imperials and Butterflies with fond memories of how it got you started with ā€œrealā€ string tricks. Then buy a new, more customizable throw from a different company.

Thats my experience with my beloved Maverick- for when I can afford to get me a nice YYF or SPYY or CL or whatever- my Maverick will get a lovely watch and a nice comfy pension plan to live on at the Yo-yo retirement home.

Sensei Dave

You canā€™t? Well tell that to my Maverick.
http://sai.lpchip.com/yoyo/mavericone.jpg

Iā€™m working on finding a way to beefcake it. With a longer axle and the thin spacers modded I know it can be done. I just have to get my hands on another Dash/Mav to do it.

That looks awe some! Where can i get good silicone? I accidently bought adhesive at lowes :-\

You could still try that, but it looks good because Mi has done it several times and is good at controlling her hands. Thatā€™s it.

thankyou dave.
i have had my maverick for about a month now and i am playing alot every
second i get i am starting to notice them wearing. but it is still quit reponsive. so i guees i will just keep throwing it for a willl. until i can get a new yoyo. thankyou

This ^

If you wear down the rubber response enough you can put a bit of sili on top of it.

I bow to you, Mi. Never so elegantly have I been proven wrong! Did you fill the entire chamber with sili and rest the spacer on top or do you have some kind of washer beneath? Is it on top of a warn away response pad? Very nice job.

I was just looking at my Maverick because I didnā€™t realize thatā€™s how the response was. Didnā€™t even realize there was a spacer there. Haha.

Anywho, it looks like you could just pinch the outside of the spacer and the center of the inner hub with your index finger and thumb (basically just the center of the half, on the same dimension as the axle) and spin the yoyo half around while you put the silicone in. Of course, it might just seem easy in theory, but be hard in practice. Iā€™ll have to find out some day.