Help an old man w/ music

Ok, so I’ve begun cataloging all of my old cds. While there are piles of absolutely great classic albums from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s…there is hardly anything from the last 12 years.

I need some suggestions for a couple new albums. Albums, not single tracks. Definitely no “best of.”

I’m looking for high energy stuff that would be good for yoyo comps. I listened to Skrillex last night. That was fine, but bit simple. I am (or was) a bit of a music snob…so I’m looking for something with a bit of credibility. Gotta maintain my swag… :wink:

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
-bpg
aka “DJ Fuddy-Duddy”

The Killers might be worth a listen for you. Their sound incorporates many different influences from different eras and is textured and complex.

Phoenix is a favorite, too, with a not quite but almost disco/fusion/pop type sound but way better.

You can also check out this guy: wayloncrase.bandcamp.com :wink:

King crimson- from ConstruCKtion of light to The Power to Believe. (or any album, but those were the only ones in the 2000s)

Sigur Ròs- Takk, (), Vid Spilum Endalaust.

any album by Sufjan Stevens

One Direction- Up All Night. (just kidding) :stuck_out_tongue:

Might wanna check out:

Star Slinger

Gramatik

White Stripes?

Bunch of great bands! I’ve been going through them one by one. Although, PajamaMan…I don’t know about this Sigur Ròs band…especially after you gave My Bloody Valentine a 0/10. :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

So far, Gramatik and Star Slinger are the closest to what I’m looking for. Gramatik trends a bit to the funk side, which is great. Star Slinger definitely reminds me of some of the earlier trip hop I really liked. Both bands I’m going to short list.

I guess I’m looking for something with a bit more “oomph.” Without being a dance track. Yeah, I’m odd.

Thanks again!
-bpg

Also look at GRiz:)

glad i stumbled into this post :smiley: never heard of Gramatik. found a nice playlist on youtube.

The Black Keys – El Camino is a fantastic album. Definitely their best one to date, though Brothers is worth a listen.

Electric Guest hit a home run with their first album, Mondo. There’s some really great tracks on there.

Arcade Fire’s The Suburbs has some really deep songs on there. Not very high energy, but still a wonderful album

Awolnation’s Megalithic Symphony has some tracks that belong on every pump-up playlist :stuck_out_tongue:

The Glitch Mob – Fortune Days is a really nice electro-house album. There’s lots of climbs and falls which makes for a great story, even though there’s no lyrics.

The Hives are pretty good. They’re a band that’s sort of a throwback to the alt rock and punk bands of yesteryear. I really like their album Lex Hives

Neon Tree’s Picture Show is an awesome album.

Passion Pit has two albums I’m really digging, Gossamer and Chunk of Change. They sound pretty similar to MGMT, but less drugs.

Not too much ‘high energy’ here, but you don’t really expect that from indie. I’d love to hear some Buckethead at a contest. I’m so tired of dubstep.

1 Like

I like Imagine Dragons.

And you can never go wrong with Weird “Al” Yankivick ;D

It’s an Icelandic post-rock band, incorporating a variety of almost ambient soundscapes and their own made up language to accompany Icelandic and rarely English for lyrics. Not exactly high energy, at least in any album-wide sense, but very very unique, and a quality listen. Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust is easily their most accessible album, so I’d check that out first.

I was going to go with a buckethead song for scr…or dethkloks thunderhorse.

Gorillaz - Demon Days
The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell

Gorillaz I think would be more something you could yoyo to (if you’ve seen Jensen Kimmitt’s 2010 Worlds freestyle, they’re the band he used) than the other two, but I think they other two are more high energy. Although, Yuuki Spencer did use the Mars Volta for a freestyle one year.

1 Like

F-777 is electro/trance

The Glitch Mob’s album Drink the Sea is awesome.

Emancipator makes great calm music to throw to.

Anything by monstercat media. good electronic music of all types. D+B, bubstep, drumstep, trance, EDM, ALL GREAT.

These guys are gonna go mainstream when their new album drops in January…Twentyone Pilots. Check them out.

thousand foot krutch, p.o.d., chameleon circuit

One Direction- Up All Night. (just kidding) :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]
What? Are you kidding me? Everybody knows that One Direction - Take me home, is all the rage right now :wink:

Just bought Team vs Star Slinger, 6 Songs. Kinda meant to buy Star Slinger Volume 1, but this is cool. I’m new to this whole mp3 thing. :slight_smile:

-bpg

Electronic pop kinda songs work well band wise okay go isn’t that bad to do

Matisyahu, Toby Mac, Kutless, Skillet, Manafest…