Anyone listen to hardcore, pop-punk?

As the title says does anyone else listen to hardcore, pop punk, anything of that sort? Some of My favorite bands are
New found glory, the ghost inside, set your goals, man overboard, have heart.

2 Likes

Mostly into the older hardcore i.e. Minor Threat, Black Flag, Bad Brains and Circle Jerks.

And older pop-punk like: Descendents, Screeching Weasel, Squirt Gun, NOFX and early Green Day.

2 Likes

I‘m pretty much into Hardcore, Punk, Metal, Metalcore, Deathmetal and Screamo/Skramz.
Some of my favorite bands:
Straightline
Strung Out
Belvedere
Strike Anywhere
I Adapt
All Shall Parish
Raein
Loma Prieta
L‘antietam

Very into punk hardcore, skramz from years, I did played guitar in a couple of bands as well, some of my favourites:

Skramz:
Orchid
La quiete
Raein @Thruwell where are you from? listening some italian goodness man!
Suis la lune
Saetia
Daitro
Belle Epoque

Punk hardcore (mostly italian bands):
Minor threat
Fugazi
La crisi
Attrito
Skruigners
Negazione
Contrasto

2 Likes

Hey @Albertino. Very very nice to meet another Skramz enthusiast. This rarely occurs in the wild.
I‘m from South Germany. I saw Raein two times in Munich. They are one of my three favorite bands of all time. So talented and the mood man…that incredible mood they create with their songs and on stage.
Back in the days I promoted some Skramz and Hardcore Punk shows in Munich together with a friend of mine.
The list of awesome Skramz bands is sheer endless. Here are some of my favorites:

Raein (of course)
Danse Macabre
Hot Cross
Saetia
La Quiete
L‘antietam
Eucalypt
James Dean
Sailboats
Circle Takes The Square
Followed by 37 Seconds of Happiness
Storm the Bastille
Monument
Osceola
Sed Non Satiata
The Saddest Landscape
Mesa Verde
Pianos Become the Teeth
Off Minor
Dawn Treader
I Am The Resurrection
Ampere
Locktender
Kidcrash
Kaddish
Who calls so loud
Battle of Wolf 359
Page 99
Van Johnson
Adorno
For Want Of
Coma Regalia
…and so and so on. Puh, I already went a little overboard with this list. I used to collect Skramz, Screamo and Emo Violence records.

Hardcore Punk:
Section 8
Miles Away
Danger Danger
I Adapt
It comes back

Looking forward to some band exchanges with you @Albertino

Cheers

2 Likes

Maaaaaan omg, you just listed basically all bands that I listen, I want to cry, it’s so rare to meet someone into the same genre, I have vinyls from every band you wrote there, some bands I have entire discographies, I think I have at least 500 vinyls plus tapes and CDs.
How was called the collective you used to do promotion? Maybe I know you lol!

From the saddest landscape the first time I heard the sixth golden ticket I think I became a man, such an amazing band.

I have all the La quite and raein discography see them couple of times as well live, it was a circle of hell!

I have to send some bands to see if we share some more, for now I leave this one Violent Breakfast - Nient’altro che tempo, try to listen to this one.

Also I am a big fan of Tristan Tzara

3 Likes

Yeah man, it‘s definitely rare. It feels like being in a niche of a niche of a niche as a Skramz/Screamo enthusiast. So I‘m pretty stoked as well! In which bands did you play? I don‘t think we ever met. I haven’t been in a collective what so ever. Me and a friend of mine made some minor shows in Kafe Kult and Sunny Red in Munich and at the Freiraum in Dachau.

Violent Breakfast is awesome man. I know of them from a sampler. I think it was the Emo Annihilation sampler vinyl. I never really went into their songs, well…I should have. Do you know Heads and Heads from Spain? They are pretty nice as well. Here are some links of songs/albums I really dig…

The last three are Japanese bands. Japanese bands just have something to them which is special in my opinion. I guess because they don‘t mind to wildly mix genres. Nervous Light of Sunday are mixing Screamo, Punk, Hardcore and Metal. And Killie are especially special to me. They are just one of a kind.

And ouh yeah, Tristan Tzara are great. In their frantic style they remind me a little bit of Louise Cyphre.

I’m old and don’t keep up too much with newer bands, but it’s a big part of my life, especially the 80s punk and hc.

2 Likes

@Lido
Unfortunately I pretty much missed out on the old school stuff. What bands you would recommend?

Some of the big ones in my world were Minor Threat, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, 7 Seconds, Negative Approach, Devo, DRI, Big Boys, Cause For Alarm, Heart Attack, Reagan Youth, Youth Of Today, Agnostic Front, Negative Approach, Die Kreuzen off the top. A universe to explore that’s probably as big and far flung as yoyo (no pun intended). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m old so I know all that stuff. 1987-1988 NYHC is some of my favorite stuff but I’ve got a soft spot for socal stuff like all the old Mystic Records bands.

TSOL from socal is a really old punk band that still put out great stuff…

1 Like

Funny I was just talking to someone earlier about TSOL.

2 Likes

Cool to see bands like Saetia, Circle Takes the Square, Orchid, Sailboats mentioned in the thread.

I personally don’t listen to this genre as much as of late, but it still holds a special place in my heart.

You all seem way more well versed on the topic and genre… so here’s some Japanese bands from the past.

youtube links

Dove
Dove - Pessimistic Tourist CDep - YouTube

1000 Travels of Jawaharlal 99-04
1000 Travels of Jawaharlal - Owari Wa Konai (2003) Full Album - YouTube

Yarmulke - 2008, Kinda like Loma Prieta?
Yarmulke- "One Theater In Square" full album - YouTube

umbra - 2002
umbra - going further to nowhere - YouTube

Blue Friend - 2012-2015
Blue Friend - Saisho - YouTube

Not a Japanese band, but I didn’t see anyone mention Funeral Diner which I enjoyed a lot when I was into Saetia.

Funeral Diner - The Underdark (Full Album) - YouTube

My personal favorite from my screamo days is Dance Gavin Dance. I was fortunate enough to watch them during their start since they were local to me. They’ve only continued to make music I enjoy listening to through out the years. So I’m a big fan of them.

Dance Gavin Dance - And I Told Them I Invented Times New Roman - YouTube

Thanks for all the recommendations in the thread, I’ve been enjoying a lot of them!

3 Likes

@suspense
Woowww! Thank you very much for your recommendations. Each and every band you posted is awesome. I knew 1000 Travels and Dance Gavin Dance and I enjoyed them pretty much. I also think I have Blue Friend somewhere on my hard drive but I didn’t remember they were that great. Funeral Diner is a classic and I think Who calls so loud has been a very nice step further for those guys. I totally wasn‘t aware of Yarmulke and Umbra though. Umbra in particular is right up my alley. Thanks again!

1 Like

No problem, I very much appreciate your recommendations too. I hadn’t ventured back into this genre in a long time. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic is turning out amazing

@Thruwell I have that La Quiete/Louise Cyphre vinyl at home, the song from La Quiete - Tutto lasciato a meta over there is absolutely one of my favourite.

Thanks for the Jap recommendation, from Japan I follow only Envy and Heaven in her arms.

Heads and Heads amazing recommendation, I am looking from more music by them.

I used to play in a band called Il Mare di Ross, but we just was known in Italy a little bit nothing crazy.
And yes it was the Emo Annihilation compilation, I have the version one I think at home.

Some of the band you post are new for me, I am listening all of them slowly I did knew Arse Moreira.

@suspense nice recommendation, I am doing a playlist of everything lol

Let me send some as well of stuff I listened through the years:

(Marnero is one of my favourite ever italian bands, they also wrote an amazing story book, all their music is about being pirates lost in the sea and they face all the bad stuff that happen in life, the lyrics are something over this world)

Just those for now and if the topic evolve we share more, I do not want music to get lost cause too much sharing, I really care about this genre is with me from when I was a teenager

I am also a emo fan but my favourite band are Sunny day real estate, in fact I think Jeremy Enigk is my favourite singer ever, even with his solo project with the conversion in Christianity is just beautiful, he is able to keep a sort of poetic lyrics and romance even on the God topics. I think he is such an underrated artist.

3 Likes

It‘s really amazing to see how we delve deeper and deeper into this genre. Marnero are quite nice. I also listened to Il Mare di Ross. Great stuff man, great stuff! @Albertino Highly appreciate it.

I totally get what you mean by that. As mentioned my memory already ‚lost‘ Blue Friends for example because there are so many amazing bands within the Skramz/Screamo genre and each band deserves a proper listen.

But referring to your recommendations…
Optimus Prime is really something. That violin creates a special emotional effect. Eastern European bands in particular carry a certain mood. Hard to describe but there’s often a kind of rawness to there music…

When I saw you posted June Paik I immediately remembered A Light in the Attic and Takaru

That’s it for now. I think from now on I will be posting one band each day or every other day so to make sure every band gets their proper listen. Thanks for your input on that @Albertino

2 Likes

@suspense
I was searching for more stuff of Dance Gavin Dance and than I realized that I actually didn‘t listen to them. I was confusing it with the 7 inch from Skt. Conrad called Dance, Brandon! Dance!

Sorry for the mix up.

2 Likes

Man you have such a great knowledge in the genre, this is just amazing, this Lakme band sound amazing the guitar work is crazy on this piece but not my kind of vocals, I knew A light in the attic but sadly I do not have any album from them in my collection and let’s go for a band a day it sound super good to me, until we finish all of them ahahahah I just had in mine one that I want to post so much and than that’s it for today.

This is chaotic as hell ahahahah used to love them and for today I promise that’s it lol

2 Likes

From Erie, PA.

1 Like