Anyone listen to hardcore, pop-punk?

From southern California almost 40 years ago!

And over to Arizona around 1981…JFA

5 Likes

i am also a big fan of older punk and hardcore, mostly nyc/boston hardcore from the 80s and 90s… i’d say that’s my sweet spot - i know @ChrisFrancz and i have spoken a bit of our mutual fandom

2 Likes

@ChrisFrancz
I‘m not well versed when it comes to old school Hardcore/Punk but what I really enjoyed back in the days were…

@Lido
A lot of classics you listed there. I only know they are classics because some friends of mine really were into tough Hardcore. I personally only listened to Youth of Today (and Shelter) and some Minor Threat. I went to a show of Agnostic Front in Munich. Our whole Skate Crew went to that gig so I joint. One member of our crew only was 12 years old at the time and we took him to the show as well. The guys from Agnostic Front were so nice and stoked that this 12 year old Skater came to see them so they showered him with free merch and we spent several hours with them after the show. Great memories although it wasn‘t my particular style of music.

4 Likes

I listen to a lot of different punk from the “classic punk” of the 70’s and 80’s (Fugazi, minor threat, ramones, misfits, black flag, fear, stooges, i could go on for ever), to skate and ska punk of the 90’s. I’m a big fan of the celtic punk sub genre. Dropkick Murphys is my all time favorite band. Never really could get into the pop punk that started getting popular in the early 2000’s. Also got into the the early hardcore like agnostic front, madball, cro-mags.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks @Albertino for your kind words. Means a lot to me. Finally I can put this obscure knowledge to good use.

Afraid! are super fresh. This frantic hectic style is so engaging.

Yeah, let’s do that. Man, this will be a daily treat to look forward to. Can‘t wait to see what you got up your sleeve and what is up everyone elses sleeve for that matter.

1 Like

I have an entire punk rock playlist with more artists than I even remember on spotify. Over 216 songs in it, most of it is punk, Rise Against is the best punk band tho. Tim doesn’t have a surfer/skater dude voice, they nail a bridge, and they just sound nice.

1 Like

Is it a public playlist. Would love to check it out.

It is, it’s maybe like 80% punk and the rest is like, punk-adjacent stuff. Alt, hardcore, garage, grunge, etc.

4 Likes

@Albertino
Todays Screamo/Skramz entry…

Beneath Low Flying Planes

1 Like

Yeah, Rise Against! The Unraveling and Revolutions per Minute are such great albums with really thoughtful lyrics…nice. Those were the days. Another gem out of this time period…

1 Like

Anyone else into Modern Technical Melodic Skatepunk (yeah, that’s a mouthful)?

And maybe even some fans of Thrash/Metal/Punk…?

2 Likes

Maaaan Beneath Low Flying Planes sound sick, veeeeery classic type of riff, love the voice, this is literally the kind of voice I like, digging them more in youtube

For my today recommendation, I would like to stay in Italy this is quite a classic band for me that I listen from very long time, sadly as every screamo band an album and then disband :rofl:

2 Likes

@Albertino
Incredible. Endless Inertia are really my cup of tea. Man, Italy is definitely a gold mine when it comes to that style of Screamo.

1 Like

Man trust me, I will never understand why in Italy we had/have so many bands in this genre, is not that much of a place for this kind of music if you think about Italy itself but the scene here is gigantic and always has been, I have some other bands from italy to share, also there was a beautiful article in a online zine I would like to let you read but sadly is all in Italian

1 Like

Can‘t wait to hear more!
Is it a long article? Maybe I can translate it using an online translator. I‘m quite curious.

1 Like

Quite a bit long but is beautiful, I think is a summa of every single italian teenager that discovered screamo.
I looked for it and found it but sadly is down as it happen to this article every now and then, I have to ask my friend Mattia to put it up again because is one of the best writing about screamo I have ever read about memories and understand this kind of music, first time I listened La Quiete I was like “Wtf” and then slowly start to get it

1 Like

@Albertino
I see. Maybe in the future then. I‘m interest for all that matters.

I understand that. I had the same experience with Daitro. When I first listen to them (coming from Skatepunk and Hardcore Punk) I didn’t quite know what to make of it. I gradually had to find my way to appreciate what they actually were doing and open myself for the nuanced emotions they were conveying.

2 Likes

Hey Hey @Albertino

with todays recommendation I want to introduce Hundreds of AU. A chaotic Screamo band from New Jersey playing a style of Screamo on the verge of Emotional Post-Hardcore. They are leaning more towards Screamo in my opinion because of their more chaotic song structures and those oh so beautiful melancholic melodies they incorporate. I‘m sorry but I can’t help myself. I have to post 5 songs of this band for two reasons. First of all they do have 6 albums and some 7 inch/compilation songs so it‘s hard to pick only one song to represent them. The second reason is that the first three songs I post do have more melodic instrumental parts reminiscent of the more French style of Screamo or the more Emo type. The forth and fifth song are from an earlier album and they are more straight forward. They both are pretty short though and they seem connected the way they are arranged on the album. I hope with this entry I can show something new to you (and anybody here who listens to those tracks) and that you will enjoy their music.

2 Likes

@Albertino
On a side note: You mentioned you also like Emo. Here’s a Midwest Emo Sampler. Beautiful from top to bottom. I found it through Midwest Penpals.

2 Likes