Gone for 9/10 years. Found my old yoyos. Are they still any good?

If you’re just looking for a decent throw that you don’t mind bashing around a bit until you get your skills back, something like the Magicyoyo N12 is available on a well known online retailer for not much cash.

The standout budget MYY for me is the V4, but it’s usually only available from China, so a few weeks wait.

3 Likes

Back when I was in uni I remember lusting after the Bumblebee. Online shopping wasn’t a thing back then so if Toys’R’Us didn’t have it (which they didn’t) I was out of luck…

I recently bought 2 of them on eBay for the sake of nostalgia - one still in its packaging to collect and another used but in good condition to throw around. Yoyo technology has really moved on…

5 Likes

Ah yeah I remember the bumblebee! They looked sick with the yellow and black halfs. Only 1 kid I knew had one but never found one myself. I might have to get on eBay too haha

4 Likes

Ah, the days before the Internet really kicked off… how the hell did we manage?

3 Likes

There are a few good retailers in Europe, but tbh the delivery isn’t much cheaper or quicker than from YYE, and their prices are generally a bit higher.

Plus, the customer service from YYE is excellent. I bought the new Masamini V2 when it was released (within seconds - I was watching the countdown timer for about an hour), but it has a pretty noticeable vibe problem. I emailed YYE who said they were aware of the problem, so they told me to just hang on to the one I’ve got and they’ll send me another when they get new stock in! Can’t really beat that for treating your customers well :smiley:

4 Likes

Ah man you’ve convinced me haha they have tons on their site. Might pick up a cheap plastic and cheap metal. Keep me going for lockdown and I don’t have to worry about messing up my golden oldies

3 Likes

The N12, Y01 and M002 are all decent and readily available, the Y01 probably being the pick of the bunch, although there’s not much to choose between them. Or the N11 if you prefer an organic. I’d steer away from the M001 though - I sent mine back.

If you want something pocket sized the T9 is a good choice - if you pick the right one it comes with both a slim and wide bearing to switch between responsive and unresponsive, and usually includes a bearing removal tool which is pretty handy. It’s a little heavy but you can remove the stickers on the sides which shaves off about 2g and makes it play much better.

Yes, I’m the sort of person who weighs his yoyos… have some calipers so I measure them too :nerd_face:

1 Like

but with them you do not have the risk of paying customs taxes … which, in case, are not cheap at all.
Things must be said all …

3 Likes

True, but so far I haven’t had that problem with YYE, although YMMV. Definitely happened with some bearings I ordered from China - with the VAT and the £8 handling fee Royal Mail slaps on, the customs charge actually cost me more than the bearings :cry:

2 Likes

And by the end of this year we (UK) could well be paying customs charges from the EU if our politicians don’t pull their fingers out and agree a trade deal.

2 Likes

For a cheap plastic I’d usually recommend the YoyoFactory Arrow, but they don’t seem to be available at the moment.

The MYY K1 isn’t too bad if you don’t mind a responsive. It’s pretty bomb proof and also has hubstacks :slight_smile: If you have a spare wide bearing it also plays reasonably well unresponsive.

1 Like

This is true.
I was thinking about it while writing, in fact, I wondered how much longer, or how for the future, if things could remain as they have been in these years.
As for China … I never understood how it works or if there are special agreements between various states … during the past 10-12 years I have purchased many things from China and of many types, both economic and quite expensive a lot, I never had customs fees, never a single time … :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

what do you think of this?

3 Likes

I’ll admit I voted to leave the EU because I don’t like being governed by unelected, unaccountable bureaucrats in another country. Had I known at the time what a mess our government would make of the process, or the divisive impact it’s had on UK society I might have voted differently. Still, given the problems and in-fighting going on within the EU since the pandemic started, I think leaving is probably the better option.

I think the Chinese sellers usually lie about the value on the customs declaration, or declare it as a ‘gift’ to avoid customs charges - only once have I had to pay charges, despite ordering some pretty high value yoyos in the past. Let’s be honest - China isn’t usually too concerned about international law…

2 Likes

On the first consideration, you find me in perfect agreement … I also think like you towards my country.

On the second I can guarantee that the value was always declared, correctly on the label attached to the package … plus a couple of times on two yoyos (the copies of the YYR in 6061) having aesthetic defects I paid them 25$ and absurdly however, they declared the full price of 45$ … I remember it just because I said to myself these are crazy they want to have problems at all costs! :rofl:
It is precisely for these reasons that I told you that I am led to think that there are agreements … then I don’t know. (example, from japan, even for small amounts, the customs is as certain as the fact that the sun will rise again tomorrow)

2 Likes

Dognana?

I’ve always had to pay customs charges from Japan too. Sometimes worth it though - they sell some pretty cool stuff which you can only really get direct from Japan.

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :no_mouth:

error of dattiture … and therefore translation! customs (“dogana” in Italian…)

2 Likes

Thanks for all the help man. Ended up picking up the Y01. Seems like it’s exactly what I’m after to get back into things. Plus don’t have to wait for weeks on overseas shipping!

3 Likes

No problem - glad I could help.

The Y01 is a great budget throw - very stable and long spinning. Which colourway did you go for? I’ve got 2 - one in solid black and another in the pink and blue splash. Both look pretty cool.

When I was getting back into throwing last summer I bought a bunch of budget yoyos, mainly from Magicyoyo, so I could get a feel for the sort of shape / weight that I prefer. They may not have the premium feel of a One Drop but I can’t really fault their performance (except some of the older models).

If you like lighter throws (around 64g) I’d highly recommend you also order a Magicyoyo V4. It’s available on a well known auction site or a well known chinese retail site for about £10 and I honestly think it plays better than yoyos I have which cost £40 or more. I actually have 3 of them now - the second one because I convinced myself I would learn 3A (which I haven’t) and the third because… pretty colours. The Auldey Orbis is another one you might want to check out as a light and fast playing throw at around the same price.

Great to hear you’re getting back into it. Happy throwing! :smiley:

Edit to add - the V4 provides a great contrast to the Y01 because they’re pretty much at the opposite ends of the ‘typical’ weight spectrum, being 64g and 68g respectively.

1 Like

Went for the black/red/orange colour way. Looks pretty sweet. Should be arriving tomorrow hopefully.
Good shout about the v4. Is there much difference between that and the v3?
Only asking because looks like I can get the v3 a bit easier.

2 Likes