General Yoyo Thoughts

This.

1 Like

God Bless Bride. Quantum Yo theory was way ahead of its time.

1 Like

This is a true statement.

In addition to the denim suggestions, you could try some rough leather.

I bought a DV888 last year (sorry @codinghorror) - and it was eating strings withing minutes - I could feel the roughness just outside the response pad area.

Tried denim, tried leather - in the end I used some very fine grit wet & dry sand paper (2500 or 3000 I think) and this did the job. Didnā€™t affect the look/finish at all but it was noticeably smoother around the response area afterwards. Bear in mind though - itā€™s a matte black DV888 with none of the pretty ano you have on the Pyro, so if you do try the sand paper be careful, wouldnā€™t want to spoil the looks of such a pretty throw!

4 Likes

Sorry - I know Iā€™m replying to an old post, so youā€™ve probably sorted this by nowā€¦

There are some very reasonably priced hybrid ceramic concave bearings (and full hybrid bearings) available from a guy in Texas who recently started up his own yoyo company. I really like hybrid ceramics - I can PM you his website if youā€™d like.

3 Likes

how hard Is under water basket weaving? it looks really cool and I want to try and learn it.

2 Likes

no matter the skill level required, just try.

3 Likes

Reverse hook uses less string

2 Likes

I actually havenā€™t sorted my problem. I just play musical bearings haha. But Iā€™m always up for ceramic or hybrids! PM away!

2 Likes

You are dead to me. DEAD TO ME :skull_and_crossbones:

8 Likes

Then Iā€™m IN good company.

1 Like

Wow, I feel the same way!!!
I told you where I liveā€¦

1 Like

Youā€™ll be very disappointed to hear that Iā€™ve bought 2 more sinceā€¦

One was a B-Grade, so not too much of an offence :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The other was a Galaxy on sale - Iā€™m a sucker for Galaxy colourways, so couldnā€™t resist :grin:

Tbh I do agree with you about its shortcomings, especially the way itā€™s set up responsive out of the box - those thick white pads make it so grabby I think itā€™s downright dangerous, especially considering its solidity and relatively high weight - a surefire recipe for some expensive dental work!

Bizarrely, the B-Grade was actually the best out of the box as it came already set up unresponsive with thin pads and the longer axle - all I did was switch out the flat bearing for a concave and it was good to go.

I do think it has some redeeming features - the size and shape make it pocket friendly, and the bomb-proof construction with a relatively long axle mean I donā€™t mind letting others try it out - thereā€™s not much they can really do to damage it.

Price is an issue though - if it came with a wide bearing, longer axle and thinner pads to convert it to unresponsive the value would be OK. But buying those things separately pushes the price to about $40 which is just too much. There are so many better throws in that price range itā€™s hard to recommend on value.

I still like mine though :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

So this just happened. Something feels very weird about selling these to him :joy: I almost feel like Iā€™m obligated to give it to him for free or at least give him a discount or something lol

12 Likes

LOL Alex is awesome!

3 Likes

He is a very nice guy!

2 Likes

Here is version two of the Freehand hubcap I designed and printed. I like this better than version one, but matching the very yellow-y gold of the Duncan rings would require painting gold on top of yellow, I think. Just spray painting with gold alone doesnā€™t quite cut it, IMO.

12 Likes

My DV888 was the one throw I brought to college freshman year because I knew someone would ask me to walk the dog while Iā€™m outside. The rims arenā€™t in great shape but it keeps on trucking.

Of course, mine came unresponsive out of the box, this was before they had it toy safety certified and started selling it in retail toy stores. I agree w/ you, selling it as responsive is dangerous and I really donā€™t get why YYF went that route.

Like others have said, itā€™s the laser engraving. Original Pyroā€™s had the same issue.

6 Likes

10 Likes

Whatā€™s an ā€œabā€ trick/element? Iā€™ve heard it mentioned several times while watching the Scales Collective vids and still havenā€™t figured out what it is.

3 Likes