General Yoyo Thoughts

An abs element (or absolute element) is an element that is very clear to score +1 click. Something like a hook/stole/whip is commonly considered an abs element.

9 Likes

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thank you!

First bimetal? Preferably not Duncan, and I have looked at the Marco.

Retic death adder is very nice! My favorite bimetal

5 Likes

u dont need a rig to make string, u can also use a door handle and a drill

Whatā€™s the difference between the different aluminum alloys used to make yoyos?

6061 - i guess iā€™d consider this the ā€œstandardā€, so how does it differ from the others below?
6082 - ILYY uses this reportedly
7068 - Hummingbird uses this (as well as others Iā€™m sure)
7075 - This is slightly denser iirc?

1 Like

6061 is the cheapest of the Al alloys, itā€™s the least dense of the materials listed. Easy to machine and blast, but not as strong as the other Al alloys coming.

7075 is stronger and denser than 6061, a bit more difficult to machine and blast.

7068 is even stronger and denser than 7075.

I have no idea about 6082. TopYo also uses 7003 Al alloy sometimes, although Iā€™m not sure where it would stand in the list of materials above.

5 Likes

I donā€™t have a complete answer for you, but out of curiosity I read Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_alloy#Wrought_alloys
Thatā€™s crazy the difference we can have between 2 aluminium parts!

6xxx: " easy to machine, weldable"
7xxx: ā€œhighest strengths of any aluminium alloyā€

6082 is ā€œheat-treatableā€, for hardening I guess.

4 Likes

Iā€™m about to make my first string! Itā€™s probably gonna be horrible lol.

4 Likes

So in tutorials most people use a door handle or something like that but does a doorknob work?

2 Likes

First string! A little bit jumbly, didnā€™t keep the tension the best I could have but Iā€™m proud of it!

9 Likes

General Yo mini star 2??

nice! close up pic?

1 Like

not rlly there isnt a place to loop the string around

7003 is just a bit denser than 6061 i beleive

1 Like

I have a proper setup now, I made a second piece that doesnā€™t have a lot of jumbles in it. My recipe slack tricks are actually pretty good. I think itā€™s a little thick, and Iā€™m not using the tread is should be just some random thread my mom has for sewing. Itā€™s a little rough, polyester coated polyester. Iā€™m planning on buying the correct kind and in yellow.

4 Likes

im glad you enjoy making string! it can be alotta fun, but also very tedious if you have a lot to make

2 Likes

Grendel, thatā€™s a mini yo-yo! I man full size haha.

1 Like

5 Likes

Welcome to the ā€œotherā€ rabbit hole

Long live the guild

4 Likes