General Yoyo Thoughts

I think that’s a more fair argument.

I didn’t really disagree with your point that you can still be GOAT if you just play one division, I just thought the different sports comparison was too much :joy:

1 Like

Google “what is a Chinese yoyo?”.

2 Likes

Google tells me that it is called “抖空竹”, not “yoyo”.

2 Likes

Lol, got eeeem

Lol. That’s all ya got eh? Weird that if you just google “Chinese yoyo” it knows to bring up results for a diabolo (aka Chinese yoyo).

My point is that “Chinese yoyo” is just a way of linguistically mapping 抖空竹 to something recognizable in English. Similarly, 将棋 (Shogi) is often called “Japanese chess” but it is not chess.

And my point is that a 4A offstring devised yoyo is just as similar to a 1A devised yoyo as it is to a Chinese yoyo (diabolo).

4 Likes

You might think so, except that Diabolo is deemed sufficiently different that it isn’t featured in the World Yoyo championships as an officially recognized yoyo division. Or am I mistaken about that?

1 Like

Others have mentioned it but I think 1a dominance should probably carry more weight due to the depth of the competitive field. And yeah I would think that some kind of “points per win” system could be used, but the big debate would be how much each division should be weighted

Pretend world championships don’t exist. Then look at 4A and 1A and look at Diabolo and 4A.

There being a contest has nothing to do with whether or not two things are similar.

Women don’t play in the NBA but the WNBA is still basketball.

3 Likes

It is kinda hard to ignore the WYYC seeing as how it is the benchmark for determining the GOAT by pretty much everyone who is asked to come up with a leading candidate.

1 Like

And just about every response I’ve seen to that “GOAT” question names a person who is primarily disciplined in a single style of yoyo. Full circle.

1 Like

Sure. I think it is fair to debate whether or not one division or all divisions should be the metric for determination. But I don’t think there’s any real debate that WYYC performance is the source for the data used. Pretending that contests, and the WYYC in particular, doesn’t exist feels like a complete non-starter to me, rhetorically speaking.

2 Likes

1A the most obviously

5a and 4a are more popular than 2a but I feel like the skill required to reach the top is higher so idk :thinking:

3a at the bottom of the barrel tbh.

3 Likes

I’d love to say 3a or 2a, but yeah currently I’d have to say 5a for the second spot in terms of weight, just because of competitor depth

2 Likes

I think due to player depth, 4a and 5a is more balanced. While with 2a and 3a there’s a huge gap between the best vs the rest. The top of the 2a and 3a pile are highly skilled but the “average” overall is much lower

2 Likes

I hate how much weight folks put on titles when the talk of GOAT comes up. We never even cared bout that from 00-05ish. It was always more bout who had the clear dopest tricks, combos and style.

6 Likes

Well, GOAT is a sports term, and so it stands to reason that things like contest titles and performance stats would be the benchmarks consulted when deciding a yoyoing GOAT. If we disregard those benchmarks, then we’re not really deciding a GOAT but something else; maybe a “Most Exciting Player Right Now”. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

To be fair to those people…
The goat really is quite heavy tho.
index

7 Likes

Naw it’s actually a rap term more so in it’s popularization. Edit** Muhammid Ali used it first in his banter - but LL Cool J and rap culture adopted it from that point forward.

And there isn’t a set definition for what constitutes GOAT - I’m just saying back in the day, the players in that era didn’t base GOAT distinction off of titles.

4 Likes