General Yoyo Thoughts

I knew it been awhile but I didn’t realize til it snapped that it was 5 months with this string :grimacing:

7 Likes

It was such a good string…:face_holding_back_tears:
You never even saw it coming…:sob:

3 Likes

I’m having trouble letting it go haha. :smiling_face_with_tear: Vines hold tension really well. Usually I think it’s time to replace string when the tension gets annoying but that never really happened with this one so I kept using it. Makes me nervous about the one I put on my Papercut when I got it. Got to change that thing today.

3 Likes

Hyphenating “yo-yo” makes me furious

4 Likes

That’s why I let autocorrect do it for me. :grin::+1:

4 Likes

I don’t love packing and shipping yoyos, but I love using an exacto knife to remove mailing labels printed on paper and covered in clear packing tape…

6 Likes

Looking at a new yoyo, thinking how easy it will be to mod it to play the way I want it too…

3 Likes

Sometimes I really wonder how many people end up disliking a yoyo based purely on the response. Here’s a before and after photo of a yoyo that I siliconed last night. Notice around the bearing, you can see the pads raised above the response groove. It’s subtle, you wouldn’t immediately see it at a glance unless you’re specifically looking for it. But you really feel it in play no matter how subtle it looks.

I feel like I’ve gotten quite a few yoyos off the BST where the previous owner seemed like they really did not enjoy the yoyo, they thought the performance of the yoyo was abysmal. And when I get the yoyo in the mail, it has protruding response pads. So I’m left thinking to myself “No wonder you didn’t like this yoyo, why didn’t you swap out the response?”

It feels like people notice when response is too slippy for their taste, and will actually try swapping the pads if thicker string doesn’t help. But if people have a yoyo that dies way too quickly, or is permanently snaggy, if thinner string doesn’t solve the issue, they’ll just give up and say “bad yoyo.”

18 Likes

Getting that response the way I like it is the reason I tinker so much. I concur that a change to a more favorable response can completely change how enjoyable a throw is. The key is predictably. If you can’t trust it, you won’t throw it without restraint… and that’s going to cause it to behave badly. :grin:

7 Likes

More yoyo designers should design more MR85 unresponsives. I think there is huge potential.

4 Likes

For sure. I even want more A bearings again.

@mable i COMPLETELY agree about response.

It annoys how people hate on throws and don’t know how to make it their own.

I think the only throws I’ve left stock response in are my Motion ones. Props to @JEA86

I’m also so confused at how a lot of second yo-yos arrive at my door.
Them poor things been getting neglected and abused.

How you gonna have hair in the bearing? No wonder why you don’t like the yo-yo :rofl:
Protruding pads, gunky bearings, yo-yos screwed MAD tight.

Please take better care of your babies, people

7 Likes

It just drive me insane when I think I bind it properly after a long combo, then I throw the yoyo with a bit of strenght for another combo to discover that the bind wasn’t perfect the yoyo unravel from the string slipping like a fish from the hands of a clumsy fisherman and go rock solid to the bottom, destroying what is left of my weak harm muscles and wrist.

It is totally my fault when happen but I would love to throw the yoyo out of the window.

Or even worst when you bind nice and solid, think you did it well, throw the yoyo and discover last minute that there was a knot in there and start to move your body like one of those long inflatable mannequin outside the car saloon to try to avoid to get it in your face

11 Likes

We really need a main central news website for when it comes to yoyo related projects like videos, new releases ect-

Before Covid had struck, Yoyonews was consistently the website that people were going to when it came to news releases…

Things need to come back to centralization. Its too decentralized now in my opinion. Too many yoyo related things are off in their own lil clusters and bubbles…

~Z

8 Likes

It was cool if there was a youtuber or similar that does “news” of what happen in the world of yoyo twice a week, maybe also sharing tricks and similar, news about yoyos and why not even a bit of gossip to keep the people entertained.

I know a guy that does that in the Rollerblade community and is very loved by people, he kind of tie the whole scene together and talk about it

6 Likes

I’ll be attempting to post more news to The Yoyo Archive once I get all the older data moved over to the new system, and setup relationships with more companies.

2 Likes

My wife got surprised the other day by how fast I moved my head out of the way of my yo-yo, I got an unexpected snag and didn’t want to catch my steel yo-yo to the face :joy:

6 Likes

I’ve had a couple Matrix bullet dodges myself lol always a pretty intense moment

4 Likes

Never would have guessed that this was the reflex enhancing activity it turned out to be.

3 Likes

Played Competitive Paintball for 6 years. There was a reflex developed during those years of big head flinches. Don’t want to get hit in the mask with a paintball (Then you’re out of the game).

This learned trait, second nature now, HAS come in handy once a bunch of times while playing yoyo.

7 Likes

We all basically becoming ninjas playing yoyo, reflexes stats are off the roof now!

4 Likes