General Yoyo Thoughts

Anyone remember Gator Floss, or Ham String? I think they were some of the first boutique string companies, but anyways I miss that stuff it was very very good string lol

@LeftyThrower24 I remember G-String over a decade ago being “the best” according to my fellow group of yoyoers. We used to buy singles (or really small packs i dont remember) that perfectly matched our throws.

4 Likes

G-string was the bees knees

2 Likes

You ever just wish you could be a time traveler, go back to like 1970’s worlds and just destroy everyone with a bi-metal? Nope? Just me? Okay.

(Just something funny for the day, hope this cheers someone up/made ya laugh)

Also I’m sorry I didn’t see that we had a general yoyo thoughts thread already, shoulda posted it there. I need to look a little more on here before I post new threads/topics

8 Likes
4 Likes

If you did that it could alter other things outside of yoyoing. The future may not be the same when you returned to it. The Butterfly Effect…

4 Likes

Ah dang it I didn’t even see we had a similar thread already, shoulda posted it there

2 Likes

Ba dum pssss

“Yeah so guys this is a metal yoyo with stainless steel rims. That imperial is very nice though I too just picked one up at the local pump station for 45¢”

4 Likes

I’m sure within minutes you would be overtaken by the angry crowd who would storm the stage with flaming torches and pitchforks eventually burning you at the stake as a witch.

4 Likes

Would I? Or would everyone be so stunned and amazed by what they’re seeing that they’d have no other choice but to crown me king of yoyo

3 Likes

Think the big part you would open up is the unresponsive yoyo would probably get you disqualified. Think this would cause a lot of unintended consequences on the current status.

5 Likes

I think it’d turn into a “what is a yoyo argument”. Maybe some complaints about you bringing in a home made toy that isn’t a yoyo.

Also wasn’t it trick ladder stuff at the time? How you gonna loop the loop, skin the cat, or shoot the moon on your unresponsive yoyo.

4 Likes

“Can I do the around the world??”

does the around the world for 3 minutes straight

3 Likes

Very true

1 Like

No it’s alright to create your own thread. This board is so slow anyway, i appreciate new threads that spark some new discussion. If you had just posted a reply in that other thread you would probably only get some likes and 3 responses max

I had that thought too lol. I’m not in the hobby long enough to see it change but when I’m watching older videos I can really see how tricks advanced over time.

3 Likes

If you haven’t stumbled on it yet, look up Duncan yoyo contests from the 60-70’s on YouTube. It’s so funny yet so cool to see how popular it was back then and to see everyone’s reactions to what we now consider beginner and basic tricks. I’m just always like man all id have to do is one simple whip or slack on a modern yoyo and everyone’s jaws would drop to the floor lol

3 Likes

More than going back in time with an unresponsive, I think it’d be more interesting to take a modern yoyo trickset back (assuming you’re capable of playing fixed (and also capable of looping since that used to be a required skill)).

In an era before split the atom was even invented, imagine grabbing a 70s Duncan butterfly and showing people how to do rancid milk. In addition to just introducing complex string tricks to people, you could show off stalls and slack tricks to people. Imagine how much more developed 0A play in 2022 would be if people were already messing with stalls/balances/slacks (slacks more complicated than “eating spaghetti” lol) in the 70s.

Walking up to some yoyoers back then and shredding like this on any random Butterfly/No Jive would’ve been a game changer.

10 Likes

Yesss I didn’t even think of this. All the modern stalls and new stuff with responsive throws would have the crowd in awe. Or you could be like me and unintentionally adjust that gap a little and introduce them to unresponsive lol

Eating spaghetti lmao I totally forgot about that one, gonna do that trick for my baby cousin next time

3 Likes

I finally got and made an Imgur last night, gonna try and post one or two vids a week of just random yoyo content. I don’t 2a or 3a though sorry. Two yo-yos at a time is more than my brain can handle lol

3 Likes

Is “Can you DNA?” the new “Walk the dog”? I had somebody ask that earlier today but knew nothing else of yoyoing. We got to talking and I let him try my throw and was a bit surprised how long it spun.

3 Likes