General Yoyo Thoughts

Thank you very much for the recomendation!

1 Like

i just looked, the keyboard is $20 with Amazon Prime.

Arteck HB030B

i did add some little stick-on “feet” to give it a bit more stability/slip resistance on hard surfaces. a cheap fix, but quite effective.

kgb

2 Likes

I lost my OD VTWO about 3 years ago. I was under the impression that some kid stole it from me (relatives of mine were playing with it at the time). I loved it so much that I ended up buying a purple one from @andy569 on the BST. But this weekend I was doing a bit of cleaning up, and decided to look inside the bottom of my cat’s scratching post tower that has holes for laying in. And… I found my old VTWO. This now puts me at zero yoyos “lost”. :smiley:

18 Likes

Now you can fearlessly play with that model anytime and anywhere (climbing Mt. Everest? Check out this combo. On top of the Eiffel Tower? Have I got a trick for you! Spacewalking outside of the ISS? Around the World seems poetic somehow…)

3 Likes

Every once in a while I think about that purple VTWO :joy: def top 5 throws I wish I still had, the purple looks so good

5 Likes

There are too many yo-yo’s. Chinese manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank.

By making it impossibly easy to create a new yo-yo “brand” these manufacturers encourage market glut as every yo-yo entrepreneur with visions of grandeur starts a “boutique” brand with small runs and over the top ano-jobs. Because there is a limited amount of Chinese yo-yo production available; the result is that there are very few of the yo-yo’s that I want to buy and shelves of yo-yo’s I do not have interest in.

It would be nice if there was more manufacturing capacity that was geared towards yo-yo’s in demand.

16 Likes

Random yoyo thoughts - lately, I’ve been doing some “side performance” stuff at work. Let me rewind here for a sec (not the yoyo trick). So I work at a theme park and we have a 3-week-long festival called Grand Carnivale. The festival includes cajun food, live bands, an evening parade dubbed “Spectacle of Color” and evening finishes off with a DJ dance party where the parade ends. I’m a float driver for the said parade and when we are done with our route, our floats are parked out on the park midway for guests to take photos with, look at. I (along with rest of us drivers) have to keep watch of our floats/vehicles and during this time, I had decided to bring a yoyo along to help pass time as we are at this for a good 1.5 hours. It also keeps guests entertained as they pass. I had actually specifically purchased a MagicYoyo Aurora to try this out (as the whole midway is very colorful/lit up, floats with LEDs) and it seems to be a hit. My boss loves it, guests love it, other park staff seem to enjoy it. The tricks distract guests from wanting to come up and poke at the float or my vehicle and I in return look like I’m having fun with the DJ music playing over the midway as I don’t dance :slight_smile:

This said, I had a guest come up to me after doing some simple but flashy tricks and ask me where I bought the yoyo. They took a pic of it and I pointed them to here. Good thing “yoyoexpert” is an easy to remember name :slight_smile:

16 Likes

What do you think is lacking?

1 Like

I used to be very disappointed in the colors of my Saturday market Kraken. I am in town today and I pulled it out of my pocket and the natural light was just right and it was like seeing a totally different Kraken.

24 Likes

@ChrisFrancz 100% this, I thought my SM Pano had washed out colors when i unboxed it indoors, but I immediately took it outside to chuck it around and the colors were TOTALLY more vibrant in natural light.

Indoors:

Outdoors:

Same camera, same yoyo.

26 Likes

In your bottom photo it looks beautiful. Indoors my Kraken looks mostly yellowish / light olive and I was upset when I got it because it was my first saturday marketplace and everyone else’s looked awesome.

3 Likes

Saturday Markets are like gemstones. They look best in sunlight.

8 Likes

Many new models that are hard to get in-stock only show in dribs and drabs. The JT-releases in particular are so small and far between that I find myself losing interest in models I can not buy relatively soon after release. After awhile it was like “oh, the Kagerou is finally for sale to something other than a bot?”; naw - kinda lost interest…

The New sOMEThING Speeder looked really cool. But it has been so long and it is sold out everywhere - that I have lost interest in finding that one too. Why not make enough to sell me one?

Meanwhile TONS of other plastic and bi-metal yo-yo’s show up every day at YYE and other sites. How about making the models that I want? Can’t make any Speeders? But you can make thousands of other plastic throws for some new “brand” trying to get off the ground?

Too many yo-yo’s. Not enough of the really good ones.

6 Likes

The subject of estimating demand and why most manufacturers don’t seem to do a good job of this has been discussed to death elsewhere. Unfortunately, I don’t recall the name of the thread where that discussion took place.

1 Like

I think a lot of brands do a good job with it. If they make a good yoyo that’s still in demand after it sells out, they’ll keep doing runs of it for as long as the demand is still there. What I don’t understand is the manufacturers who will put out a model and say “we’re not going to run this again” before the first and only run has even gone up for sale.

3 Likes

Yeah. I would definitely have a lot more yo-yos if they were always available. But I just keep an eye on the companies I’m really interested in just in case they drop more. But if not, there is always going to be something else “new” dropping all the time.

3 Likes

When I was at One Drop I asked if they were going to be making more Kuntosh 5000qv’s and they seemed sort of surprised when I said it regularly pops up in threads as a desirable and highly recommended.
So maybe we just need to reach out and ask them for what we want more

9 Likes

Another manufacturer I’ve witnessed (on a forum) lash back at customers when everyone wasn’t in love with their newest baby. It’s happened more than once.
Sometimes I feel manufacturer’s can surround themselves with people that insulate them from the outside and they lose sight of what is currently desirable outside of their close circle.
But there is a lot out there, and there is always something else about to drop.
I definitely have my list of throws I’m always keeping an eye on the bst for.

3 Likes

Why would anyone do that?!?! When I visted my father’s home country of Hungary in 2000 my dad pointed out a lifesize bronze sculpture in Budapest of some kind of military person on a horse done a long time ago. People criticized it saying one of the proportions was incorrect and the artist was so distraught that he committed suicide.

2 Likes

My guess is that people with low self esteem sometimes lash out at others that they feel are attacking their hard work. But a lot of time it comes down to poor choices with vocabulary. People need to keep their opinions in check. It’s one thing to say personally I don’t care for the shape or color or name. But to tell someone what they worked for possibly months or years on sucks and no one wants it, is completely different. But if you are trying to sell inventory to the general public it’s your own fault if you build inventory of something you can’t sell.

3 Likes