General Yoyo Thoughts

As a non-collector, I don’t need more than one of any particular yoyo. However, once again I’m considering getting a second of one of my favorite yoyos (though in a different colorway). History says that I’ll eventually let duplicates go. Reason eventually wins. Still, will emotion temporarily win? :crazy_face::thinking:

6 Likes

Honestly with people gushing with praise for just about every new yoyo release, im thinking the opposite is going to happen. The yoyos almost universally praised now, some even for a couple years, will eventually become less desirable and fall to the wayside.

What yoyos in the past used to be considered boring and are now receiving high praise? Only one I can think of is the YWET, so I guess it does happen, but seems kind of rare.

I don’t usually buy two of the same either (more of a hoarder than a collector, though perspectives may vary), but when I do im always surprised how much a change of color effects the way I feel about a yoyo in play. To the point where I think I might have perceived a yoyo in a different way if I had it in a different colorway even while just trying to objectively judge its play characteristics. I think colorways affect our perception of a yoyo much more strongly than we would initially believe.

9 Likes

Are recessed silicone the end all be all of response systems or is there something better?

how many modders are out there still looking to innovate or improve what’s already here?

Are we in the golden era of yoyoing or is this just a gilded age, and it has long since passed us?

4 Likes

This is definitely the golden age of yoyoing. $30 yoyos that competes with high end bimetals? A million options for even the most specific niche? Dozens of boutique companies making well received yoyos?

Yep, pretty golden. Also the word is gilded by the way.

7 Likes

tenkies for the fix!

2 Likes

the question of one response type being “better” than another is quite subjective. it has a lot to do with the thrower’s preference as well as the construction of the throw and the style of play.

silicone is the easiest to do yourself and costs pennies to do on a throw. go to the local hardware store, buy a tube of flowable silicone or gasket maker or whatever and you can do dozens of throws for a few dollars. it also provides a consistency in response between different throws, which is nice.

is it the “end all and be all” ? not for everyone, to be sure. i like it. i prefer doing silicone myself as opposed to buying response pads, if the throw can support it. for my 1A and 5A throws, it’s my preferred method, when new respoonse is needed.

Enjoy the throw.

kgb

4 Likes

It seems like the most recent throws to come out always seem to be recessed silicone.

I can’t say I’ve seen another one use friction stickers or response pad in a while now.

By response pad are we talking about the flatter wider ones or the white response pads that YYF uses?

like dis. As an example of response pad or would this also still be considered a friction sticker?

1 Like

when you say “most recent throws seem to be recessed silicone”, what throws are you talking about?

if your recent throw is a wooden fixie, it certainly will not be silicone recessed.

if you are referring to 1A/5A type throws then yes, most will come with some type of silicone or proprietary silicone formulation.

response pads can be silicone, silicone derivative, other material. for my discussion purposes, a response pad is simply a pre-made product that sticks to the throw to provide the response. it can be recessed, flat or raised.

Enjoy the throw
kgb

3 Likes

Ah ok, I understand.

Unfortunately I usually don’t take into account fixies mostly because to me they seem to be a niche style in my opinion, not to say anything negative about them. They just don’t cross my mind a lot of the time.

Then I think I need to start taking notice of more different throws than what I usually like cause my views could absolutely be biased to just being what my eyes want to see rather than what there is.

2 Likes

I think it makes more sense in the perspective I was viewing it from. I was mostly thinking about specific individual brands like CLYW/YYF, where their back catalog is going to continue to be looked at for a long time. There’s way too many brands, especially small boutique ones, to keep track of even a fraction of the stuff coming out. Let alone having the time and money to look at all of their past releases. For fans of individual brands though, people are more likely to see those forgotten yoyo releases that only had a small/single run and haven’t been mentioned in forever.

The Kayak, Compass, and Snow Lzzard were the three yoyos I was mostly thinking of while making that post. None of those three yoyos have a particularly great reputation. It seems like a lot of their negative reputation though is slightly associated with being released in that transitionary period from classic to modern CLYW. So it’s hard to tell how much of the reputation is bias against modern stuff, and how much of it is actually that the yoyo designs just aren’t very good. So with more time and new players going back to those releases, will they still just be viewed as meh designs? Or will people start falling in love with certain aspects of them.

Examples of yoyos that flew under the radar/had a worse reception at the time of release, but have since been referred to as underrated gems, are the YYF Aviator 2 and MVP3. I’m not very familiar with YYFs back catalog, but I definitely see a ton of praise for those two models, and people lamenting how little fanfare they had when they were in the current lineup.

4 Likes

In this picture, The one on the left (YYWS Redacted) and the back one (OPYY Peach) use what i would identify as silicone, could be flowable, could be a thick pad. The one on the right is the Dressel Design Fusion which uses a response pad.

If the Fusion response wears out, i will attempt to use flowable silicone/gasket maker to replace. if the cup isn’t deep enough, i will need to order some replacement pads.

Throw often
kgb

2 Likes

what’s the pink throw in the middle?

2 Likes

lol

i was updating on the computer. i took the pic on my phone but i hate typing on it.

kgb

2 Likes

yeh, same I have big hands and my fingers keep hitting the 8 and 9 keys on my phone all the time so it just loo4 lik3 th8s all the t8me

1 Like

for my work phone, i typically use a bluetooth keyboard because i text to the team a lot

works great and far better for my sausage fingers.

kgb

3 Likes

I’m now going to look into getting a bluetooth keyboard and now a OPYY Peach, hopefully my other stuff sells so I can get one!

1 Like

I’m not sure what the distinction between flowable silicone and pad response is in this scenario. It’s all the same response groove regardless of what you’re putting into it.

Basically every single C bearing yoyo on the market for the past decade+ (ignoring One Drop/CLYW) has used a standardized 19mm response groove. And even then One Drop/CLYW don’t silicone their yoyos, they just apply a slightly different sized response pad. If you want to silicone recess them you can, but they’re not shipped with flowable silicone. I think MFD might be one of the only companies still shipping all of their C bearing yoyos filled with flowable silicone.

6 Likes

I think G2 does on some, but I’m not sure on that. I think @pinhead was referring to yoyos from pre-2010 that used the flat pads.

2 Likes

For your reference.

I got the keyboard from Amazon. It was maybe $25-30.

The Peach is a Peach. :grin:

kgb

3 Likes

Yeah I think the mistake in the distinction may of been my ignorance at the difference between them and kind of combining the recessed silicone and response pad types into one category and friction sticker and others into another without realizing they’re much more different then I thought.

1 Like