General Yoyo Thoughts

I normally don’t care that much about the hand feel of a yoyo, but dang there’s some yoyos that just really suck to catch. I keep trying to play my Cliff but the catch zone is the exact size of my middle finger and on a catch my middle finger will just get wedged in there. It’s really annoying, I feel like if my hands were either slightly bigger or smaller this wouldn’t be an issue.

10 Likes

2A is so fundamentally different than all the other playstyles… it’s almost like another hobby

6 Likes

Hand feel is at the top of my priorities these days. If it looks like I can’t easily do a snap start with it, I’m not buying it.

I have a couple more aggressively shaped throws that I keep around for performance reasons. I mainly keep them around for when I’m learning new tricks. They rarely get played when I’m just messing around though.

3 Likes

Sometimes I feel like the only experienced yoyo player in existence that refuses to use the snap start. Feeding the yoyo enough string to be able to do a slow bind is just more laid back and easier than having to flick a yoyo.

3 Likes

Any size is snappable. I snap start my OD par avion. You could try the engineer roll

2 Likes

Have you tried doing the thing where you rest the yoyo in your palm and kind of slap/roll it off with your other hand?

I actually do that as an alternative to snap starts on all of my 60+mm diameter yoyos. Once the diameter goes above there, I just have to stretch my hand too much to grip it for a snap start, and it’s really uncomfortable.

1 Like

Video, please! I am not a great snap starter so am all about learning new equivalents. Maybe it’s because I only learned to snap with one hand :person_facepalming:

3 Likes

How are you doing this? I’m not sure what you mean.

I was mainly referring to the width of the rims, not the overall size. I prefer the rims to be wide enough for me to get a good grip as opposed to a sharp V shape where my fingers are more likely to slip off during the snap.

Left = comfy, right = ouchy

4 Likes

i think he means this technique

at four minutes and nine seconds

8 Likes

That’s kinda how I used to do it when I only knew responsive. Didn’t realize you could do a bind version of this. Thanks!

3 Likes

Ah, of course: THE BIND is the key after you get the yoyo spinning. This is what I get for mainly rediscovering yoyos in my 40s and still sticking to 0A

2 Likes

Yea, exactly that. Snap starting just seems to take too much effort and I suck at it, but this is a no effort rewind so I can get back to throwing the tricks I want.

2 Likes

I’ve always done a thumb flick for that exact reason. Too much effort for the snap…

Maybe once you get it down 100% it’s not as tricky, but I’m still staying away for now… maybe someday I’ll get bored and fully learn it. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

This method @mable describes is actually similar to what I did to figure out snap starts. The stability provided by resting the yoyo against the palm of your nth really helps you focus on the snap motion, starting with just pinching and rolling the yoyo forward as they mentioned, wide gripable rims help at first too.

For me with unresponsive yoyos I’ll snap → regen → brain twister → bind. For responsive/fixied I do engineer’s wind → loop → catch. I haven’t mastered my snap technique for responsive yoyos, usually just end up with a snag even with neutral tension.

3 Likes

I found out that you can use carmex lip balm to make a narrow bearing responsive, if you have no thick lube or vaseline.
I´m not sure, if i’ll try some YYJ lube the next time i have dry lips and no lip balm…

3 Likes

I hold the string taught with my nth and snap it straight up with my th while releasing the string from my nth. If it travels up enough, it doesn’t have string to snag on.

4 Likes

I really enjoy breaking Yo-Yos in, just a general Yo-Yo thought.

12 Likes

all titanium yoyos with side effects are bimetal.

9 Likes

do they make titanium side effects?

2 Likes

i’ve not seen them, but i really want some for my Alliance tbh

2 Likes