General-Yo's Official News

it is quite nice, it just spins forever hahaa… In my head I’m saying “Wow, I’m really sloppy” but the thing KEEPS spinning!!!

A shot at the “purple mountain majesty” A limited colorway with the 65.5 weight.

Wow. Just wow.

I noticed that the General (Ernie), put up a picture of a Majesty labeled as “with the 65.5 weight”. Does that mean that we will be seeing other versions with different weights or configurations? Or, were there different runs with different weights, like the Chief?

I made some out of 6061 for the purple mountain majesty, and at first it was too lite. When I was adjusting the weight, I stopped at 65.5. Just to have some a little different. 1.4 gr different. I did that on a request from my team.

1 Like

Never really cared for 7075. It’s always felt a little wonky to me. For the most part, anyways. LOVING the 6061 Majesty. The ‘Purple Mountain’ (Though I’ve heard it called Chocolate Raspberry) looks stunning in person. Probably one of the best colorways I’ve had the pleasure of owning.

Hope this doesn’t come off the wrong way… (hopefully me saying this makes sure it doesn’t haha)

What’s the differences? Other than, I’m assuming, densities? As in, what makes it feel ‘wonky’? My Majesty is a 7075, was just wondering what a 6061 might be like in comparison (other than, as far as I know, a different weight). Idk, maybe a stupid question, but I felt it was worth asking.

Ya know, I’m not really sure. I think it’s a combination of the density differences between 7075 and 6061 (2.810 g/cm³ and 2.70 g/cm³, respectively) and the differing weight. 7075 just feels ‘harder’. Though being only 0.11 g/cm³ denser than 6061, I’m sure 90% of it is psychological :stuck_out_tongue:

7075 also has roughly double the tensile strength of 6061, so that might factor in. Might explain why 7075 doesn’t damage as easily, too.

As far as I can tell from purchasing Aluminum in the past, 7075 is corrosion resistant high strength aluminum. It is zinc doped I think which makes it more resistant to corrosion than its 2024 counterpart. This presumably also shapes the mass/cm value. Interestingly this is presumably also what makes it harder to ano, although I don’t know enough about the ano process to be sure.

I’m lovin this badboy

Define “wonky”.
Without a definition for “wonky”, your statement is meaningless. Your judgement must be equally so.

How does a yoyo feel “wonky”? How can that feel come from a type of metal alloy and not from the design of the yoyo itself? Have you tested this on say the Code2 and Code2 GZR …did you find the Code2 GZR to be more …“wonky”?

“Loving the 6061 Majesty”?
Is that because you have played both and are giving a comparison between the 6061 version and the 7075 version? Is the 6061 version less “wonky”? Why?

…Huh?

Yes.

I appreciate you clearing that up :slight_smile:

Aeroframe parts are becoming more and more 7075. It has copper in it, and it is much stronger than 6061. Why for yoyos? Well, It is more stable, and machines better and leaves a mirror finish with the right speeds and feeds on the CNC lathe.Some aluminum can act “gummy” and gauld the cutting tools. The ano came out real nice. I have yet to see the problem on 7075 yet. I have tested 1000’s of yoyos in the past 4 years, and the feel of the 7075 is different. Better or worse?.. to me It feels solid is heack. It doesnt ding very easy. A 2.25" x 12’ bar of 6061-t6 costs about $120 , The 7075 was $345.

1 Like

WOW that is very interesting to hear!!

that is awesome information!!! :smiley:

Dang! What do they put in that stuff? Copper is not that expensive.

I remember the OneDrop GZR (7075 version) line being more expensive than the 6061 original versions. So what is the price point going to be on the Majesty given this difference in material cost?

Keep in mind it isn’t just the copper that is adding to the expense it is also the process of making the alloy itself that adds to the cost.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

David said in the past that the extra cost of the GZR line was in the cost of materials and the cost of manufacturing such as the anodizing the anodizing of the 7075 which is a slightly different process than on 6061.

If I had to guess, the Majesty will probably probably have a similar $20-$50 increase in price that we have seen from other companies that offer both 6061 and 7075 versions of the same yo-yo.

One other factor that Ernie mentioned to me was that the 7075 yo-yos “spend more time on the machine”. I assume that is because the increased hardness means more time to machine the same amount of metal. More time = more $.

That would jive with the hard to machine comments that other manufacturers have mentioned in the past as well.

I am curious of this release is similar to a One Drop situation where it is the same design for each or if special tweaks were made to one version or the other in order to play to the alloy used.