Gauging interest...

I think pros will feel differences, and once you get to a certain level of ability I think you’ll feel the differences. I’m not a pro, I haven’t competed since 1995/96, but I can tell you the differences in most yoyos.

Agree 100% with this. However, the world we live in now is instant (or close to it) gratification for everything, want to put in as little work as possible to achieve the highest results. Why you see a lot of guys learn to bind (sort of), learn the breakaway, then jump to the Expert level tricks on YYE or other tutorial sites. Most organic shaped yoyos don’t help with that.

I’d be willing to bet that the majority of pro level competitors could still place using a 888 or similar yoyo. Gentry won Nationals on a Replay that he took out of the box just before going on stage.

1 Like

I agree with the comment about instant gratification culture. I’ve seen so many kids begin to yoyo enthusiastically but then fizzle out quickly when they realise it’s a hobby they need to invest in to become proficient at. It’s a hobby where the fun of it is tied up with the reward of it.

1 Like

Prototypes have been machined! Hopefully I’ll have them soon. I’m just waiting to hear the final specs and I’ll let you all know!

The inspiration was originally a Sili Dert, but I wanted a spike and smooth cup. There were a few changes. I originally had flat rims but preferred having smooth curves throughout.

2 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Good stuff Matt! :slight_smile: Looks cool…!!
Can’t wait to see it assembled and hear the first thought!!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

Without putting out definitive specs since I don’t even know them yet, I would classify this as mid-sized (as mid-sized was 7-10 years ago that is).

I have been playing a popstar for a few days and I can really see how sloppy your play can get when yoyos are so forgiving, and also how fast your accuracy can improve when you challenge yourself with a more “unforgiving” yoyo. I am a fan of the recent trend towards slimline/oldschool style throws, its good for the community to have more awareness of just how easy modern yoyo make learning tricks, and just how sloppy you can get when you don’t throw anything else. Great work Mrciurleo!

1 Like

I agree with others, that looks really nice!

1 Like
1 Like

Prototypes arrived today! It’s a pretty awesome feeling when you’re holding something you designed. I’m not even sure what it’ll be called yet haha, but there’s plenty of time for that. Inspiration at first was the Sili Dert… which is why a few tweaks are needed, primarily rounding the rim. Aesthetically I’m not a huge fan of how it’s sharp. Right now the profile looks more like a 401k.

The (insert name here) plays so well! Absolutely dead smooth with a soft beadblast. The small step in the gap really helps with stability. I wanted to make something reminiscent of mid-sized throws from last decade with some characteristics that make today’s throws comparably better (i.e. smoothness and more stability). Here are the basic specs:

Width: 36.60 mm
Diameter: 52.55 mm

They are subject to minor change but should be right around these numbers. My balance doesn’t seem like it wants to cooperate… but it’s about 62-63 grams. Here are some photos!

I think it looks pretty awesome!

1 Like

Stunning Matt! I love it!

1 Like

I appreciate it :slight_smile:

After playing with it for a week or so and making some small changes, there’ll be a small run available. It has been nice to nice a small resurgence in organics, but many still seem kind of bug compared to older throws. Looking at old General-Yo, Anti-Yo, and ILYY generally seem more mid-sized which was what I am shooting for.

It looks like a throw I would love to have. Something about an organic that just tickles the right spots for me. While I love my V’s for showing off, causal play is almost always on an 888 because its just more fun to throw. Will definitely be keeping up with this thread and hope I can add one of these to my collection.

Looks great, like a much more comfortable Ronin!

Looks great!

I’m interested

I’m interested also. Looks fantastic!

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

As soon as school calms down a bit I’ll have a Facebook page up. The design has really grown on me since I’ve been using it, the only change I might make is rounding the rims.

The prototype is looking so good! Looking forward to seeing it with the rounded rims.