Gauging interest...

You completely hit it on the head! I don’t really buy anything new anymore, with the exception of General-Yo. Ernie’s bi-metal completely satiated any hunger I had for a modern throw. I’ve been throwing for a while, but I’m nothing spectacular. Everything I can do can pretty much be done on an organic, which I what I opt for 90% of the time.

I’ve always wanted to make a yoyo, but I either didn’t have the means or didn’t see it being a hit. I thought that with the major influx of minis we’ve seen over the past year, there’d be at least a few smaller diameter/width organics.

The few organics of today are great, but they’re not really what I was looking for. They’re still just too darn wide! I finally have a design sketched out and am talking to a manufacturer, so I’m hoping this all falls into place in the foreseeable future.

Like you mentioned, I’m not going for peak performance (not to say I want it to be bad lol), but I’m looking for something that’s just plain fun to use.

That’s way cheaper than I was expecting. I would assume at least $100 personally :wink:

For something niche in an already niche market, I probably could charge that, but I’d rather get something small and organic into more hands. I don’t think people realize how awesome they are.

My wallet will get a bit lighter when it comes out.

Fine a lot bit

But what’s the point of money if you don’t spend it on yoyos?

I’m really glad to see you have this all planned out, and are making something you believe in, not just another competition yoyo. Best of luck to you!

1 Like

I’m a big fan of organics! I’m interested in the idea you have for one, but of course would need to see it or a design before saying anything too definitively.

Speakig of organic yoyos, the YoyoWorkshop Capastan is one of the most attractive yoyos I’ve seen in ages in both design and aesthetics.

I’m amazed it isn’t sold out yet.

It would likely appeal to me, but the Bassline 2 was an old school-type organic, not very wide, from a great company, that garnered rave reviews, and unfortunately didn’t seem to sell very well. It’s hard to say how much demand there is.

Demand is the concern, that’s why I made this thread and a similar one on the Throwers subreddit. I feel with the right marketing it could be popular… but it’d be impossible to tell until a small run is put on the market, which I probably the path I’ll take.

It’s funny that you mention the r throwers community yoyo, that seems like it’s going to turn out pretty unique like what you’re working on, but wide instead of narrow

Peak, Peak2, Puffin 1, BVM1, these have been my go to throws for a while now. I think its fair to say that Yes, old school organics are some of my favorites. Thanks for not pushing for a hard v. /thumbs up!

As far as interest, I think I could be on board. The only other throw id even consider buying at this time is a Sputnik (although the dune also looks intriguing…)

I’ve asked this questions a lot about different things and never really gotten an answer besides some form of “I like it.”

What advantages does an organic throw have? I’m asking from a place of complete ignorance. I’m not trying to slam O throws or anything, I’ve just never really played with a lot of them. (First Base might be the only one.)

It’s easy to see that they would be at a disadvantage for horizontal, so if I’m going to give up ease of use, what am I getting in return?

I think what you “get” from an organic are less tangible things like feel. Most organic throws are marketed as fun, relaxing, and floaty which are all based on perception of how they play compared to rim-weighted speed-oriented yoyos.

Morgoroth trust me and try a grail or creep… In the sense of “high performance” they go head to head with anything out there.

Giving up ease of use is exaaaactly what people should be doing if they want to better themselves as yoyoers, imo anyways.

I guess you can look at it like “do I just want to have a good time yoyoing” or “what’s the easiest way to land spirit bomb”

Also I love this idea. Been having a similar one recently lol

Softness. The way it hits your hand in bind is. . . softer. Throwing a hard V you feel its sharpness. Its edges are feel-able. Valkyrie is good basis of comparison for me. Its so opposite feeling.
I dont play horizontal (yet) so i dont care that O’s they are not great for that. I like the Valk for the power it holds but I dont like the way it hits my hand. Its so “performance” driven that they removed comfort from the equation. Ill take a yoyo that is more comfy and less stable over a crazy stable and less comfy throw. But hey, im just a casual payer.

Advantages - much better in hand feel. Also they’ll up your technique, accuracy and smoothness. Things I bring up a lot in certain topics.

A heavy rim weighted, low wall, V shape is sort of the starter bike with training wheels in many ways. It’s almost always going to stay on plane, it’s not going to tilt, bad throws don’t matter as much. With a high/mid wall organic yoyo you have to be smooth, you have to be accurate, you need to learn how to make corrections. They don’t have the “advantages” or “performance” of the modern competition yoyos. I’m a guitarist, I like to compare organic yoyos to an acoustic guitar, a little more difficult to play, but they will make you better the more you use it. Modern yoyos are like an electric guitar, light strings, low action MUCH easier to play.

There are a lot of benefits you’ll gain by playing and learning your tricks on the older yoyos, many people want the instant now when learning tricks. It’s easier on some of the modern yoyos. Harder on older ones. But I don’t know of anything that even a high wall organic yoyo can’t do. Seen a number of players that can do horizontal just fine on them.

No right or wrong, some people don’t care about the little things, the finesse, they just want to hit the tricks and want the yoyo that’s going to allow them to do that the easiest. Nothing wrong with that though.

So, it feels good and it’s harder to use…

I mean you’re not wrong and I see what you’re saying, I play fixed for those very reasons.

But it’s not easy to market.

Not harder to use. Still a yoyo, you throw it exactly the same. Some organics nowadays are modernized, like the Markmont Classic. But a midschool organic (Peak, Wooly Marmot, 888, numerous others) is just going to ask you to pay attention and want you to work on your skills.

Not sure about marketing either, all the recent organic mid/old school style yoyos recently have done really well. There is another one coming out soonish, that is AMAZING, people are going to go nuts over it I think.

It’s not about using them because they are harder to use.

I believe it’s about developing proper technique and smoothness when you are playing and learning tricks.

Organic yoyos require you to be able to perform a trick with correct technique and smoothness otherwise it will likely fail, V ‘ish’ yoyos, not so much.

With a V ‘ish’ yoyo, you can barrel through learning tricks and just keep moving on without the need to perfect what you are doing. It can result in a player who can do a lot of tricks in a very lumpy sloppy way. I see this all the time, and I also see it in myself sometimes.

A simpler trick done smoothly is much more impressive than a complicated one done sloppily.

It’s not harder to use exactly, it just requires more discipline when throwing and learning. It will make you into a much better thrower.

They sure do feel good too! Smoooooth.

1 Like

Glen and Aaron pretty much have it covered. The essence of organics, to me at least, is going back to the basics. If you look at the ‘founding fathers’ of tricks, you’ll see they were all using, not even organic, but slimline responsive throws that required skill and accuracy. For example, look at old Doc Pop or Spencer videos and you’ll see what I mean.

The community as a whole seems to lean towards ‘competition throws’, which is fine, but how many of us really compete? For the select few that do, can you truly notice the minute differences between the throws today that are all so similar?

I feel safe in making the assumption that the majority of throwers could do all of their tricks on an organic if they just put in a tad bit more time before rushing onto the next trick. Great competitors of today are like skyscrapers, as long as they have a stable foundation, the sky’s the limit.