Free solo vs top deck

pretty sure i’m going to buying a kamuraiju and one of these
intend for it to be my last purchase till xmas,
specs are overall very similar, which is better?
(favorite throw is OD Thorn, if that helps)

1 Like

I do not have the Top Deck but I have the Free solo and the Thorn that you like.
Until now the Free solo is for me the most performing OD to date in my opinion, it plays really really well even for more intricate combos (just replace the OD bearing with a concave), if you like the Thorn I think the Free solo is thousand times better than it, good presence on the string without feel heavy, quite agile and stable in general and a pleasure to throw, I have a bit of OD in my collection and tried many others I think for now the Free Solo is the one I like the most over all of them.

For the Top Deck let’s wait for someone that own it, I think @danotje and @SR1 have all of them

5 Likes

thanks man!

I have both. They have different feels. To me, comparing them is silly. It’s like trying to figure out what kind of movie to watch - a comedy or a drama? Depends on what mood you’re in…

3 Likes

I have a Top Deck and a Free Solo.

Top Deck is amazing, but I always find myself coming back to the Free Solo it’s really something special in my opinion

3 Likes

could you describe those feels?

1 Like

Both are awesome. Sometimes I want the more roundish feel of the Top Deck. The rims on the Free Solo make it feel wider than the Top Deck which it isn’t. Different yoyos for different moods.

7 Likes

I have both. I really liked the Top Deck as soon as I got it. The shape really works in a way that translates to more powerful, stable throws.

I bought the Free Solo later based on a lot of positive reviews, but it has never clicked for me. The Free Solo isn’t bad in any way, there is just nothing about it that stands out (for me). Because of that, it is my least favorite OD.

I prefer both the Thorn and Kamuraiju to the Free Solo.

3 Likes

I don’t have a Free Solo but Ive had a Top Deck for almost two weeks now and I can’t put it down. It’s thrown probably the most every day other than the Reboot which I also just got. It isn’t heavy per se, but it’s solid while still having good maneuverability and spin time. Not floaty, but not a rock either, good ole fashion OD smoothness, great quality machining etc etc. You can’t go wrong with any OD though and yes that’s 100% bias lol

2 Likes

yeah i already have a panorama, thorn, rebirth, and mantis,
they are very good and do seem to share a certain " feel" that other brands i have tried don’t,

2 Likes

i’m not sure if this is because its 7075 but i will say that the mantis has a glossy finish though, which makes it hard to grind without gloves, Does the topdeck/freesolo finger grind as well as the thorn?

Typical 7075 OD feel, IMO.

2 Likes

I feel like I’m the only person who wasn’t too crazy about the free solo… it was alright but not one of the one drops I’ve kept…. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the top deck I’d go with it personally

3 Likes

does that mean glossy?

I do have all the ones mentioned—FS, TD, Kam, and the Thorn. For me, the Kamuraiju is my least favorite, but still good. It’s just lacking something for me. I didn’t expect to like the Thorn as much as I do, but the size, shape and weight distribution all combined to make me subconsciously want to keep picking it up and mindlessly throw.

That said, the OP is asking about FS or TD, and I agree with what’s been said. It really comes down to mood. I’ll try to explain based on how they feel on the throw to me.

The FS feels fantastic. It’s balanced, stable, super smooth both in rotation and how it’s finished, and it really feels light on the string. Arguably it might be the better performer of the two. To me, those flat rims combined with the finish make it super comfortable on the catch and make it feel like a high end product. I can see this being an only throw.

The TD is a different beast altogether. Someone here once said it’s a freak of nature, and I think that’s accurate. It feels heavier and more sluggish than the FS, but it’s incredibly stable and seems to spin forever. I honestly feel like it’s bimetal level of spin sometimes as it always seems to rocket back on the bind. The rims and catch are curved nicely, but for some reason, the edges can be felt, unlike the FS. I don’t think it’s sharp, per se, but you’ll notice it more than the others. ***edit: one more thing, when I’m trying out new tricks, I typically use my Grasshopper and TD to help sort things out. Their size, stability and spin time just seem to give me a better chance.

Which one would I get? If only one, I’d go FS. It’s just sublime in all respects. However, you’ll always wonder about the TD. If it was me, I’d forget the Kamuraiju and get the FS and TD. They are a great pairing, and you’ll be less likely to wonder about the Kam since it really doesn’t get as much attention here. It’s a fine throw, but I think the other two get more attention for a reason.

Hopefully all that makes sense. If not, I’ll try to explain better.

2 Likes

Yes, relatively glossy.

1 Like

I have both and prefer the Top Deck. I’m a very mediocre player, so the extra stability of the TD is appreciated. The Free Solo definitely plays lighter, but I wish it was a little bit more stable.

The Kamuraiju is a great throw and one of my favorite ODs. As I’m sure you know, it’s slightly undersized, but I don’t feel like it gives up any playability.

3 Likes

Also just wanna say I’m not experienced nor talented enough to give you a full on good opinion on anything. Anything I say is strictly my own thoughts and just what I think having thrown what I have. I also really dig all the love for the Thorn that’s my favorite yo period

2 Likes

yeah i dig the thorn, that halfway house between a V+H shape is always nice for grinds, and the 6061 pyramatte is mint, i really enjoy the spikes too

1 Like

If you really like 6061, Wyvern?

2 Likes