Free solo vs top deck

that does look cool, but i dont see the rave reviews that the TD and FS get,
guess i’m slightly fomo influenced

It’s a beautifully designed yoyo Idc how “niche” it is haha. Plus I think most that have thrown one are always surprised at how well it plays on top of everything. Also if you’re into grinds like that you should definitely check out the Wyvern, the grooves will make for a nice grind surface

1 Like

Yeah. TD has a near-cult following (deserved) and it’s easy to find raves about the Free Solo.

I think the Wyvern holds its own. I definitely prefer it to the Free Solo.

It is also relatively new - I wouldn’t be surprised if it develops its own following.

3 Likes

I just came to say don’t let anyone dissuade you from getting the Kamuraiju. It’s awesome.

Y’all already know how I feel about Top Deck.

5 Likes

So, I LOVE the thorn. I enjoy how agile the throw is, and it’s surprisingly stable. Out of the two, I think the Top Deck is the throw with more staying power, and if I had to only own one, it would for sure be the Top Deck. My reasoning is simply that the Top Deck excels at playing both slow and relaxed, and at a bit of a higher pace, albeit with less stability than the thorn. If this slight loss in stability (it’s really not that bad) is acceptable, you’ll probably really like the Top Deck, it’s a true jack of all trades throw in my opinion. It’s also just really damn fun, I’ve had a few over the years and every time I’ve tried to get rid of one another one finds its way into my hands to scratch the itch.

Now, on behalf of the Free Solo, it’s definitely not bad, but it doesn’t have the agility or ‘zip’-factor (zippiness? lol) that the thorn does. What it does have is stability for DAYS. So, if that’s your jam, look there, but I think it lacks the soul that the Top Deck has.

3 Likes

can you grind either the top deck or freesolo very well?
, the mantis i have (my only 7075 throw) is glossy as heck, like nearing injection plastic levels

thanks for all the great replys btw, very informative all

I find that both have that “plastic” feeling. Same as the Nitro (and MCMO). It’s not an ideal grind surface.

2 Likes

7075 pyramatte finish doesn’t grind great, but it’s doable.

3 Likes

Eh, I mean with practice and everything it’ll get better. But it’s not something I’d buy if you’re absolutely wanting to grind all the time and learn those kinds of tricks with. That’s where I think the Wyvern would be better, haven’t played one but like I said I’d think the grooves would make it a lot better for that style

1 Like

I love all the love for the Thorn, too. It’s not talked about a lot, but it’s terrific. I’m one of those who wasn’t expecting it to be great, but am pleasantly surprised!

Oh, and there’s a reason I own all four and have no plans to let them go :wink:

5 Likes

No, pyramatte is a durable finish but awful for grinds.

2 Likes

yeah its an aside, but i don’t get people calling the thorn a niche throw, if you play techy and not so many zontals, its easy a comp worthy throw, stability is way up there, its just a tad narrow for today’s whip heavy “meta”

1 Like

I agree that the Wyvern is a good one! I play mine more than I do my FS.

2 Likes

you cant be calling yourself “very mediocre” everyone has seen you rip hard 0A and 1A tricks on insta,
I get you don’t compete, but too modest, kudos man!!

2 Likes

I don’t know who you saw, but it wasn’t me! :wink:

1 Like

I’ll put it this way:

The Free Solo is in my Top 5 all time favorite yoyos, and has been since early 2021.

I sold my Top Deck.

I tried a Thorn and did not buy one.

I would sell my Wyvern if it wasn’t colorshift Cerakote.

All GOOD yoyos but the Free Solo is One Drop’s best all around throw in years IMO.

3 Likes

I have the free solo and the top deck. I prefer the free solo. Its faster, more stable and spins longer. I think the free solo is my most stable monometal, really impressive.

1 Like

That’s odd, I’ve always felt that my FS was a little lacking in the stability category.

2 Likes

I guess people feel yoyos differently.

4 Likes