First one drop throw?

Im thinking of getting my first one drop yo-yo but there are so many choices to choose from and I have no idea which one to pick :sweat_smile:

My choices are

(1) panorama. I’ve ALWAYS wanted to try a panorama but most of the time I miss out on the drop and unfortunately they’re sometimes sold out. Plus it has side effects So I’m on the verge of picking one up. I would love to hear everyones thoughts on it if possible.

(2) free solo. This throw has gotten a lot of praise here recently and it’s gotten me interested in trying one out. I also really like the design as well !!!

(3) top deck. Talk about popular demand !!! Everyone seems to like this throw and I’m curious to what the hype is all about ??

It’s also worth mentioning that I have never owned or really played a one drop throw before. other one drop recommendations are also welcome :wink: I really appreciate everyone’s help and feedback, thanks again guys :grin:

5 Likes

Cant go wrong with any of these options. Just decide if you want a slim throw get the pano otherwise the other ones. Both the freesolo and pano are in stock and the topdeck will soon be in stock.

4 Likes

This top deck drop is history, we made history, be a part of it.

9 Likes

Agreed! Top Deck is a great intro to One Drop.

6 Likes

Don’t get a Panorama, get something more versatile that won’t wear off as something in a hyper specific niche/novelty. It’s a fine yoyo, but it’s going to feel more limiting than if you got a different yoyo that was just built to play and handle more tricks. It’s a great yoyo for Tsukasa’s short and clean repeater style of play, but that’s not how you’re always going to want to play yoyo. If you want to start throwing more complicated meta tricks or even 5A, it’s going to feel limiting. Obviously there are people who will do these things just fine on a Panorama because they’re good enough. But that’s ignoring the point that this just isn’t a yoyo designed to be good for that style of play. If how Tsukasa throws is what you really like and want to strive for, you already know if you want a Panorama and don’t really need anybody to give you their input on it.

Free Solo and Top Deck are two cool options so get one if those are the designs that really speak to you. Although I’d just say pick something with side effects (that isn’t existing in a relative niche like the panorama). Markmont Classic I think would be a pretty universally recommended model. It’s comfortable, it plays well enough that you’ll never feel like it’s inhibiting your ability to do tricks, it’s comfortable in the hand, and side effects let you experience the best part of One Drop designs. From the massively boosted durability side effects add, the customizable weight distribution of the yoyo, and even just something as simple as picking the side effect shape/color that matches whatever you’re wearing on any given day. SE are cool and I feel like they’re the biggest draw of One Drops. Free Solo and Top Deck are going to be good yoyos, but they’re not going to give you the most iconic part of an OD design.

9 Likes

The Top Deck is a performance beast and also very comfortable in the hand. It would be my top pick, especially since a new run has just been completed.

I think Side Effects are a cool idea, but I find myself just putting Ultralites in all my SE-based One Drops to minimize center weight, and so ultimately I would have been just as satisfied if they had made them without SEs and just gave them the same weight distribution that Ultralites provide. But I realize that everyone has different preferences, and because of that SEs are a great design concept. I guess if I had to recommend an SE-based One Drop throw it would be the MCMO (cuz the MC isn’t available anymore).

7 Likes

I would say Top Deck is #1 option
But if you want to buy something right away, Free solo is the one

2 Likes

Top Deck! Top Deck! Top Deck!

That is all.

4 Likes

the answer to your question is yes =]

2 Likes

Can’t go wrong with any of them. It’s all preference and what shapes you like etc. I recently got a Thorn and I love it. Smooth, long spinning, yet real chill and good as an everyday throw. If I were you personally though I’d get a Top Deck. Check ODs website or wait for YYE to get their batch in cuz they’ll probably have some different colorways and such. You’ll love One Drop the second you throw one I promise.

2 Likes

I think I read that a new batch of MCs are due out. I’m intetested to see how the pricing goes, as the MCMOs have gotten quite pricey!

3 Likes

Wait really?

As an aside, since this would be your first One Drop, don’t be alarmed if it displays a lot of precession. That’s just the flat bearing being a flat bearing. If it bothers you (and you wouldn’t be alone in this), just swap out the bearing for a centering bearing.

5 Likes

Top Deck will be my first OD throw. I was able to grab one on Tuesday from OD’s site before they sold out. YYE should be announcing their drop soon and it’s a larger quantity than what was available through OD. It should be easier to grab one, but I wouldn’t wait too long, just in case.

5 Likes

I just got a Top Deck, it’ll be coming in tomorrow. It’s a great deal for being 7075 aluminum, and if you look at this Jacob Gross video, it has an incredible amount of rim weight which is good for tricks in general.

4 Likes

Guys do you know if any of those top decks will be released in Europe? Buy from America is a mess for us European between shipping and fees.

Another One drop I am in love with is the Aitch, love the shape and the feel of it, good spin time and great for every type of tricks, is my everyday throw!

4 Likes

I think the rest are going to a couple stores in Japan. YYE should be getting the bulk of them though.

1 Like

holy moly thats a lot of rim weight

1 Like

How do you like to play? What’s your style like?

All 3 are great yoyos. The Panorama is in my top yoyos of all time, just a blind suggestion would be the Panorama because of how much I love it. But, if you’re a tech player it may not be something you’d enjoy as much.

2 Likes

The Free Solo is awesome. I kind of like the OneDrop throws without side effects because I have a tendency to go very far down customization rabbit holes and that’s not really what I want from it :grimacing:

I will say that I recently traded for a Rebirth on the BST and am positively smitten. The organic shape with the ridges feel great in the hand, the weight is a little heavy on a smaller (but not really undersized) throw. It’s smooth and stable. That said, I’m working on Kwyjibo and the first hop lands way easier on the Free Solo.

I am also planning on picking up a Top Deck, so you’re in good company. While I’m sure it’s an awesome throw, I might also be buying the hype :joy:

4 Likes